Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Revived] Giant Supermarket - $40 for $50 Gift Cards - [1 per household, officially]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Revived] Giant Supermarket - $40 for $50 Gift Cards - [1 per household, officially]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:32 pm

No signs here. Got a few more Shell GCs tonight, with expiry-free rainchecks.

Don't forget to load up on the Outback/Carrabba's/Bonefish $60 bonus packs (2 $25 GCs and one $10 bonus card that expires 7/15).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
At two different Giants, the coupon machine just would not print the $10 coupons. At the first one, I just gave up given how busy and clearly short-staffed they were. Just didn't want to be THE one who was holding up every one.

At the last one, circular in hand, I had to point out to two different cashiers the terms of the promo and even argue with one of them over what a "single qualifying transaction" actually meant!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:49 am

Mixed results last night. Had no problem purchasing Sears or Marshalls gift cards at two different Giants in VA. Tried Shell gas cards at both locations and neither of them generated the coupon. Manager at the second one said those cards weren't eligible to get the coupon, but she used an old coupon to give me the discount anyway. She also said someone had tried Home Depot earlier and that also apparently did not generate a coupon. So, caveat emptor/YMMV on those two.

Still a great deal -- Sears cards will save us almost $200 off a new fridge!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
Originally Posted by dcflyergreg
Mixed results last night. Had no problem purchasing Sears or Marshalls gift cards at two different Giants in VA. Tried Shell gas cards at both locations and neither of them generated the coupon. Manager at the second one said those cards weren't eligible to get the coupon, but she used an old coupon to give me the discount anyway. She also said someone had tried Home Depot earlier and that also apparently did not generate a coupon. So, caveat emptor/YMMV on those two.

Still a great deal -- Sears cards will save us almost $200 off a new fridge!
Hmm, wonder if they've changed the programming somehow. I had no problem with a number of Shell and way more Home Depot than I care to admit (basement remodel coming soon). All purchased at various times/places in DC and MD over the last 11 days though not since Saturday. At this point most cashiers I have encountered have at least a little experience with the promo.

Be sure to watch and keep the activation receipts though. In putting together a tracking spreadsheet I discovered that I have two different transactions (each receipt has a unique transaction code) with the same last four dgits for an Amazon gift card. I haven't headed back to the store to deal with it yet as, ironically, the one card that is apparently not activated, is the one card we gave away as a gift. We're getting back in touch with the recipient to confirm the card number and exchange cards with them if we confirm it's not activated.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:49 am

Giant in Eastern PA

The promotion just kicked off in Eastern PA yesterday. I purchased a $50 SW GC in one transaction this morning and coupon printed fine. I tried to apply it immediately to another SW GC and the cashier could not get it to work.

She didn't know why until she read the coupon which states "...Coupon not redeemable on gift card purchases"

I thought I would just pick up a number of GCs and use the $10 coupons for some groceries, but the coupon also states "Limit one coupon per transaction per day."
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by gatorboy
The Visa® Gift Card is issued by Meta Bank pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.
Why is everyone buying other gift cards? Wouldn't the Visa card give you the best deal considering it's $50... rather than be limited to Shell or somewhere else? Does the visa card have fees?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark
At the Stop&Shop in Hudson, NH they have plastered the display with signs that there's a limit of 1 and that the $10 coupon cannot be used for another gift card purchase. (That part is not true. If they scan it, it will work.) It also says that gasoline cards are excluded. That part is true. If you buy a gasoline card, no $10 coupon comes out.
How about the other Stop & Shop in Milford NH?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by kawoh
Why is everyone buying other gift cards? Wouldn't the Visa card give you the best deal considering it's $50... rather than be limited to Shell or somewhere else? Does the visa card have fees?
Yes, there are fees for any type of visa/amex card (anywhere between $3-5 per card for activation). Also, I did not have any trouble loading up on Shell gas cards (about 50 I think) and each time I had a new coupon. Seems like they might have reprogrammed the system with so many mass-loaders like myself
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Majikow
They also had this sign up at a Giant near Glen Burnie, MD.
Ha! That was my regular grocery store when I lived in Federal Hill, Baltimore almost 20 years ago.

Once time they had a HUGE sale on cat litter (like 80% off) and I bought almost a ton of it, making several trips to get it home.

Surprised the wife.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:47 pm

No problem doing multiple transactions at the Stop & Shop in Somerville MA, despite the sign. $10 coupons were printed for ToysRUs and Bed Bath And Beyond gift cards.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Ha! That was my regular grocery store when I lived in Federal Hill, Baltimore almost 20 years ago.

Once time they had a HUGE sale on cat litter (like 80% off) and I bought almost a ton of it, making several trips to get it home.

Surprised the wife.
Probably surprised the cat too. It probably thought you were trying to say something about its hygiene.

Did you keep it in the garage or unload it on PlasticCatLitterJungle?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: Lotz
Home Depot still working fine at Giant.

No one has mentioned whether prepaid telephone refill cards generate the coupon.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by tassojunior
No one has mentioned whether prepaid telephone refill cards generate the coupon.
As I recall, the local Stop & Shop had a sign up stating these were excluded. YMMV. I'm guessing excluded cards are from another gift card company than the one participating in the promotion.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
No signs up in my Giant in suburban MD,but Amazon card generated a coupon and Shell did not.

Shell definitely worked in this same store last week.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:07 pm

Thinking about trying this tonight to help max out my Freedom 5% bonus for this quarter. I live in Arlington near the Pentagon - any suggestions on which Giant would be the best bet?

Was thinking about the one on Columbia Pike (north of old town), but someone else in this thread said they had bad luck there (sketchy neighborhood = fraud i guess). Any suggestions on an alternate that you had good luck with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.