FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Airline Status Match Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1352728-airline-status-match-master-thread.html)

lucky9876coins Oct 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Airline Status Match Master Thread

With gleff's permission, I'm starting a new status match master thread, which I'll try to keep updated as much as possible. I've incorporated quite a bit of what was in the old thread, so feel free to PM me or post here with any changes, updates, etc., and I'll gladly edit them in this post.

gleff's wise words still apply to the industry, even over five years later:

As we approve the end of a benefits year, airlines are beginning to reveal changes to their frequent flyer programs for 2004. They want more revenue at a lower cost. Their static models probably predict that their changes will accomplish this. Some may, some may not.

But I believe it's important for us to remember that while they're doing their job, we don't have to be sympathetic. After all, we're customers. And we have every right to seek out the product that best fits our needs. If an airline program offers a better deal for our flying and buying patterns, by all means we should take advantage of that offer!

And many airlines make it easier for us to do so -- by matching our current status with elite privileges in their program.

One of the most frequently asked questions on Flyertalk, throughout the various forums, is "Will airline X match my titanium status in the Infinite Airways program?" or something to that effect. And since fellow flyers are beginning to think about their plans for 2004, I thought I'd take a stab at summarizing the "who will match what? and how do I do it?" conventional wisdom.
Before we start it might be worth mentioning (as obvious as it might sound) that you should also send a letter with your credentials explaining why you'd like to be matched, be it a change in travel patterns, frustration with your current airline of choice, etc.

So, here we go:

Aeroflot
Through December 31, 2010, Aeroflot will match status from One World or Star Alliance carriers with this application.

Air France
Through March 31, 2011, Air France is matching status from many airlines to equivalent tiers in Flying Blue. All the details can be found here.

Alaska

Will match status, generally to equivalent level, up to midtier (which is MVP Gold). Alaska does not status match to MVP Gold 75K.

Email a copy of your current elite statement or membership card to:

American

American typically doesn't status match, but offers challenges instead, whereby you have to earn a certain number of miles within 90 days to earn Gold or Platinum status. While challenges used to be free, American now charges $150 for the Gold challenge and $240 for the Platinum challenge. While it's non-refundable, you can sign-up for the Gold challenge and then pay the difference if you flew enough to qualify for the Platinum challenge.

British Midland

British Midland may be the only non-North American program with a regular status match program. They generally match up to Gold (top tier). Let's see how long that lasts given the possible takeover by LH. As of late they require you to have a ticket on bmi booked in order to status match.

Email or fax a copy of your most recent statement or elite card to:

Email: [email protected]
Fax: + 44 1623 724099
More details can be found in this thread.

Cathay Pacific

Based on this thread and other reports it seems like Cathay Pacific is willing to match up to Silver tier.

Continental

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Platinum (top tier).

Fax, email, or mail the following information:
  • Full Name
  • OnePass Account Number
  • Current Address
  • Current Phone Number
  • A copy of the most recent statement from the other airline showing status and current mileage
  • A copy of your current elite card from the other airline

OA Match Request
P.O. Box 4757
Houston, TX 77210-4757
Fax: 713-324-3702
[email protected]
Subject: OA Match

Delta

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Gold (mid-tier)

Fax a copy of your current elite statement or elite card to:

Delta Skymiles Service Center
Attn: Elite Status Match
Fax: 404-773-1945

El Al

Will match status, usually to a lower tier (e.g. CO Plat to Matmid Gold) than one's current status with another carrier.

To apply for a match you must already have an El Al Matmid number. Fax a copy of your elite status card & the last two months of your FF account statements, showing flights and points to:

El Al Airlines
Matmid Frequent Flyer Program
Fax # 011-972-3-760-4043
Once matched, you must requalify for status within 6 months.

Jet Airways
Based on this thread, Jet Airways will match up to JP Platinum, although they don't include upgrade vouchers.

LAN

Will match status, usually up to mid tier (Premium Silver). For full details see this thread.

SCAN and email or FAX your AAdvantage paper statements to LANPASS (+562-5658983) or [email protected]
United

Typically offers challenges whereby you have to fly a certain number of miles in 90 days to maintain the status. Unlike AA, they offer the status up front, so you start off as an elite. They'll generally only offer challenges up to Premier Executive.

Email, fax, or mail a copy of your current elite statement or elite card to:

Mileage Plus Service Center
Attention: Premier Status Match
P.O. Box 28870
Tucson, AZ 85726
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 605-341-6140
US Airways

US Airways is offering a 90-day Silver status trial for those that have a non-refundable ticket booked on US Airways. Otherwise there are no reports of them status matching as of now.

Airlines not mentioned in this thread typically don't match status, but there are always exceptions. Keep in mind that status matches are once-in-a-lifetime, so use them wisely. Furthermore, keep in mind that airlines typically don't match intra-Alliance, but rather it's much easier to match status between airlines of different alliances.

Airlines that are known to not match status:
Air Canada
ANA
British Airways - except corporate/revenue based
Emirates
JAL
Lufthansa
Singapore

lucky9876coins Oct 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Seeking help....

Please note that this is a work in progress since it’s taking over for a 1,500+ post thread. In order for this to work, I’d appreciate as much info/input as possible, especially at the beginning.

I’ve removed quite a bit of stuff from the old thread, like airlines that no longer seem to match, etc. I’m sure I’ve left plenty of stuff out, so I’d appreciate any updates, be it new addresses, fax numbers, alternate ways to request status matches, and documentation required by the airlines. For example, I recently requested a status match from NW and all I needed was to send them a screenshot of my mileage summary, while it seems like they used to require a lot more. If anyone has similar experiences for other airlines, please share them!

If anyone’s interested in helping on other fronts, here are some specific things I’d appreciate help on:
1. How much AA will start charging for elite challenges.
2. BMI fax number/address as well as documentation required for a status match.
3. Confirm that CO still requires so much documentation for a status match.
4. More info on Frontier status matches.
5. Confirm which fax number is correct for UA.
6. Other airlines that match. I’ve left out some airlines that were in the original thread where the information seemed outdated, so feel free to send me info that I can add to the OP.

I’ll work on the formatting a bit as soon as I get some of the blanks filled in, but in the meantime any suggestions are welcomed!

redondo-beach Jan 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I got turned down by BMI trying to match my Delta status ,

They said that BMI did not fly the same routes as Delta so no match,

And I got ignored so far by Continental , maybe cO is not doing a match / challange anymore :(

RB

OttoMH Jan 16, 2012 7:39 am

Airline Status Match Master Thread: 2012

Anyone know what might be available for a LH SEN (*G) in ScareyTeam or OneWorld?

jms_uk Jan 16, 2012 8:00 am

Originally Posted by OttoMH (Post 17822606)
Anyone know what might be available for a LH SEN (*G) in OneWorld?

Malev, but you have to take one flight with them...

dypter97 Jan 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of the likelihood of success for a status match at United / Continental?

I'm currently a USAirways Platinum (75k BIS miles last year), but I'd like to move over to UA MileagePlus. I'll probably fly almost 150k BIS miles this year, almost all on a few direct routes from EWR to Asia and to TLV. I have documentation that I flew this routes a few times last year as a US DM, so I think it's easy to justify...

What's the procedure? Someone at UA customer service told me to mail relevant docs to [email protected], but then they later seemed to hint that they were unlikely to approve matches from USAirways. Rather than wait the 7-14 biz days (almost 3 weeks) to see whether there info was accurate, I thought I'd ask here.

I checked the posting by "lucky9876coins" (thanks!) on the front page of this thread, but I'm unclear if that info is still up-to-date,
especially given its breakdown between CO and UA FF plans.

Finally, if no status match is available, could someone please explain to me a bit about how challenge match works? It's different from a "trial" premier type of thing, right?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Best wishes.

JackDaniels Jan 24, 2012 6:27 am

I just received Diamond status on Cathay Pacific.

My primary US carriers, Delta and Continental, are not offering to match my status on any level. Anyone else to try?

duke2013 Jan 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by oshelef (Post 17684307)
That's what I figured. Do the miles have to be booked after the challenge starts? Or could I submit for the challenge when I know I already have travel planned/purchased?

(Is the challenge 17.5K or 12.5K in 3months? 17.5K in 3 months is a 70k annual rate, if you fly evenly all year...) I'd have a decent shot at 12.5k, but not 17.5k.

I was curious about this as well, can I request a challenge after booking flights?

geclub1 Jan 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by duke2013 (Post 17878588)
I was curious about this as well, can I request a challenge after booking flights?

Yes.

mia Jan 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by dypter97 (Post 17874859)
...currently a USAirways Platinum (75k BIS miles last year), but I'd like to move over to UA MileagePlus.

Recent discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-members.html

leonidas Feb 2, 2012 11:34 am

AA Gold here trying to match to UA. I emailed on Jan 13 to [email protected]. Then emailed a second time two weeks later. Then faxed my docs just two days ago.

No response from UA yet. What a way to welcome!! I have a WAS-SEA flight coming up on Feb 8th and I really would have liked to choose better seats and have priority security. I also bought international flights later in Feb on UA hoping to satisfy the match conditions. Seems like a stupid decision now.

SFO777 Feb 2, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by leonidas (Post 17938574)
AA Gold here trying to match to UA. I emailed on Jan 13 to [email protected]. Then emailed a second time two weeks later. Then faxed my docs just two days ago.
No response from UA yet. What a way to welcome!! I have a WAS-SEA flight coming up on Feb 8th and I really would have liked to choose better seats and have priority security. I also bought international flights later in Feb on UA hoping to satisfy the match conditions. Seems like a stupid decision now.

I emailed a SM request on 1/18, received an immediate electronic acknowledgement that "we'll be responding to you soon". Nothing since. I have not made any UA reservations and don't plan to until they respond affirmatively.

redondo-beach Feb 2, 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas (Post 17938574)

Send the same to CO.....but they will give you a match just like UA

flashware Feb 2, 2012 12:10 pm

I matched my MA Gold to DL Gold without any issue; just need to complete the challenge now in 90 days to keep the status.

DHalltheway Feb 3, 2012 3:17 am

Can anyone provide me AA's status match challenge e-mail?