Airline Status Match Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Status Match Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
Seems either one will take you where you need to go for a reasonable cost-$200 RT? Both programs appear to be similar though my experience with UA was not so good, so I stick with AA. You should probably stay with what you've got and make the most of it. The spend issue is a major factor going forward so unless you can do a CC waiver, consider that.
is your UA experience posted anywhere? datapoints are always good.

I don't do CCs at all so while I'm not sure what a waiver is, I doubt it is an option for me.

Yes, they both seem to always have comparable prices for my routes. The schedule change/refund policies bother me (my plans change a lot) but so far I've survived.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveltia
I don't do CCs at all so while I'm not sure what a waiver is, I doubt it is an option for me.
Certain (far from all) airline credit cards (usually the more expensive ones in terms of annual fees) may either waive (make unnecessary to do) or lower the spend requirement for airline status.

So if you're not into CCs at all, or you just don't like expensive CCs, there's usually no way around minimum spend when it's required for status. (Not every airline requires it yet, but AA, DL, and UA all do now.)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
It was some time ago when I first moved to Asia that I tried UA, as a CO PLT. Thought that UA would be better as they were updating some of their TPAC seating, etc. Never got one international UPG and paid much more for the upgradeable fares on UA, while, I had great success with AA in UPG's but didn't like the stop in NRT to get to SE Asia. It was better when AA started flying to PVG and PEK, and I was living in China. Domestic UPG's were more frequent on UA but still not the high percentage I experienced on AA. And, the EXP desk has always been great, well until Dougie screwed it up recently, filling it with USAir agents who don't know what...well let's be nice. I could always count on even non-refundable tickets to get busted to vouchures to use later if my plans changed.

Maybe these complaints are beyond your expectations or elite level that you could earn, but it does show what you may expect.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
It was some time ago when I first moved to Asia that I tried UA, as a CO PLT. Thought that UA would be better as they were updating some of their TPAC seating, etc. Never got one international UPG and paid much more for the upgradeable fares on UA, while, I had great success with AA in UPG's but didn't like the stop in NRT to get to SE Asia. It was better when AA started flying to PVG and PEK, and I was living in China. Domestic UPG's were more frequent on UA but still not the high percentage I experienced on AA. And, the EXP desk has always been great, well until Dougie screwed it up recently, filling it with USAir agents who don't know what...well let's be nice. I could always count on even non-refundable tickets to get busted to vouchures to use later if my plans changed.

Maybe these complaints are beyond your expectations or elite level that you could earn, but it does show what you may expect.
ah thanks for that. even if its beyond my level, it's good to know. that's why i love this site.

my biggest problem with AA stemmed from what i know now as "red coats". i had a horrible experience due to them but thanks to the folks on this forum, i learned a little more about that whole mess and how to deal. that's something that probably affects UA as well.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Certain (far from all) airline credit cards (usually the more expensive ones in terms of annual fees) may either waive (make unnecessary to do) or lower the spend requirement for airline status.

So if you're not into CCs at all, or you just don't like expensive CCs, there's usually no way around minimum spend when it's required for status. (Not every airline requires it yet, but AA, DL, and UA all do now.)
thanks for the explanation. no, i don't do ccs at all...i guess i should enjoy this while i have it.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Hey guys,

I need some advise. I am currently Executive Platinum on american for the last years.. I am not going to make it this year unfortunately...

What can i do to match my elite status ??
United? or Delta? I Do have not flown any other airlines.

Please advise.. I travel from Florida to Cali and vegas mostly
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by zerodegre
Hey guys,

I need some advise. I am currently Executive Platinum on american for the last years.. I am not going to make it this year unfortunately...

What can i do to match my elite status ??
United? or Delta? I Do have not flown any other airlines.

Please advise.. I travel from Florida to Cali and vegas mostly
http://www.statusmatcher.com/report/55158

http://www.statusmatcher.com/report/55119

http://www.statusmatcher.com/report/54793
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
which one should i try.. ? I am more interested in first class upgrades than anything else...

also..

Is it possible to match my exec platinum to Delta... have Delta Platinum or united 1k for a year... then match back to AA? for 2018??
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
which one should i try.. ? I am more interested in first class upgrades than anything else...

also..

Is it possible to match my exec platinum to Delta... have Delta Platinum or united 1k for a year... then match back to AA? for 2018??
DL nor UA will grant you top tier on their airlines just because you are top tier on AA, and vice versa. At most, maybe one level before. Also it wont be a match, but rather a challenge, therefore you will need to fly X within certain time frame in order to get the status. The odds of going EXP (AA) match to 1K(UA) then match to Diamond (DL) and match back to EXP (AA) are .00067% at best. When you add the cost of challenge and the flights needed, might as well try to get EXP anyway. As to which one is easiest for upgrade, read around the forum to get an idea. The topic has been discussed numerous times and the results are varied across the board among the legacies, however, the general consensus agrees that if you want to be in first, its best to pay for it than deal with the upgrade roulette.

Last edited by arollins; Aug 16, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:40 pm

yes .. i saw Exec plat was match to Platinum on Delta.. It states the Execplat would equate to premiere platinum on united...with 18k to fly"give or take" in 90 days ... very easy..

.00067% is this scientific? so you are saying there is a chance!!

No , just to clear it up.. I would only choose one to challenge and would make it no problem.. just wondering what would be best United to Delta?

Last edited by zerodegre; Aug 16, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:13 am

yes .. i saw Exec plat was match to Platinum on Delta.. It states the Execplat would equate to premiere platinum on united...with 18k to fly"give or take" in 90 days ... very easy..

.00067% is this scientific? so you are saying there is a chance!!

No , just to clear it up.. I would only choose one to challenge and would make it no problem.. just wondering what would be best United to Delta?
It's not publicized on UA's status match site, but usually ExPlat's get matched to 1K, with something like 35k miles during the 90 day period to keep the status. My fiance was given this challenge a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Air Berlin to Star Alliance

Was anyone successfull in matching Air Berlin status to any Star Alliance airline recenlty (this year)?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Emirates Skywards, TK Elite Plus, LH Senator
I have Emirates Gold status and I applied for a status match to Turkish Airlines but they didnt accept it. I sent every document you guys wrote but it didnt happen. Can anyone help me. Turkısh Airlines told me that they dont do that anymore?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by redeye29
I have Emirates Gold status and I applied for a status match to Turkish Airlines but they didnt accept it. I sent every document you guys wrote but it didnt happen. Can anyone help me. Turkısh Airlines told me that they dont do that anymore?
Well as I explained to you in the TK match thread, share their reply here.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:17 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Which of the Star Alliance frequent flyer programs are currently offering a status match? I have quite a lot Star Alliance flights coming up next year and it would be great if I can use their lounges. Right now I'm AA Plat, AZ Alata, HHonors Diamond and Accor Plat.
- UA is offering a challenge, but you have to fly 12,5 to get Gold status.
- TK requires only one Int. TK flight, but in that case I have to match from AZ Alata where I have no activity.
Do I have other oppertunities to get Star Alliance Gold?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Which of the Star Alliance frequent flyer programs are currently offering a status match? I have quite a lot Star Alliance flights coming up next year and it would be great if I can use their lounges. Right now I'm AA Plat, AZ Alata, HHonors Diamond and Accor Plat.
- UA is offering a challenge, but you have to fly 12,5 to get Gold status.
- TK requires only one Int. TK flight, but in that case I have to match from AZ Alata where I have no activity.
Do I have other oppertunities to get Star Alliance Gold?
No Star Alliance match. You could try Copa ConnectMiles or Avianca Brasil Amigo but you're out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.