Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your Best Open Jaw / Stop Over Mile Redemption.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Best Open Jaw / Stop Over Mile Redemption.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 1:32 pm
inY

25K CO miles. EDI-FRA-DME open jaw LED-VIE stop VIE-BRU intentional 24 hour layover BRU-FRA-EDI
Old May 24, 2012, 2:51 pm

I've done 4 open jaws to Europe:

IAD - AMS (2 Nights) - VCE; train to Florence; train to Rome; FCO-IAD.

(Also, same trip without the stopover.)

IAD - LHR; train to Paris; CDG - IAD.

IAD - BUD; train to VIE; train to PRG; PRG-IAD

And a trip with just a stopover: IAD-LHR-MAD-IAD.

All were for whatever the low mileage redemption was at the time.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
I've had a few...
Where's the Rio run?
Old May 24, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is what I would like to do with my AA miles. HNL-DFW stop - LHR stop - India town 1 stop. Return from another town in India to FRA stop - DFW stop ANC. Four stopovers and two open jaws for 80k in low season to europe (ironically this low season includes Christmas) using AA's one stop in NA gateway per one-way rule.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Honolulu-San Diego (overnight with friends)-New York (stop)-London (overnight with friends)-Venice-London-New York (stop)-Vancouver for 40,000 AA miles and some $200 in taxes and YQ.

About 4.7c per mile redemption value.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
My best this year:

Flown:
CDG-BKK-SYD(stop)-BKK(stop)-NRT(~23hrs)-ZRH(~23hrs)-CDG
BKK-NRT(~23hrs)-SFO-JFK(stop)-ICN(~23hrs)-KIX, NRT-BKK

Upcoming
CDG-DOH(~20hr)-JNB-MRU(stop)-JNB-WDH(stop), JNB-DOH(~18hrs)-OTP(~22hr)-MUC(~20hr)-CDG
JFK-ICN(~23hr)-BKK-SYD-BKK-NRT(~23hr)-ORD-LGA

I'm a big fan of trying to jam those 1-day "connections" in whenever the agents will let me.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm a big fan of trying to jam those 1-day "connections" in whenever the agents will let me.
I was über-proud that I just managed to book a connection of exactly 24 hours (not 23:59, 24:00) that didn't get counted as a stopover. This was a revenue ticket on DL, routing LHR-ATL(24 hours)-OMA(stop)-MSP-FAR, and I really wanted a full day in ATL and need a few days in OMA. The fare only allows one stopover, so I made the most of my "connection".

Best stopover/open jaw combo I've done is FRA-ICN-MEL//SYD-KUL-LHR(stop for months)-AMS-FRA. I'd originally just done the OJ originating out of LHR, but found a cheap LH flight to FRA and could get KE's better J product out of FRA as compared to LHR. (Also saved on UK APD, but DL collecting KL's YQ ate up a bunch of that.) I conveniently enough forgot about the LHR-AMS-FRA booking, since I really had no desire to go to FRA again. (Silly DL and not offering one-way awards or double open jaws without charging way more miles.)

Currently planning another trip down under with at least one direction routed via ICN and contemplating making it an OJ with one end in SE Asia and using MR->SQ to get SQ F between AKL and SIN on the 77W. Stopover will either be TYO/SEL or else in Oz if I need it. Hoping to get a segment between AYQ and SYD as part of the award since those flights are generally really expensive. Can redeem some Avios for the other direction to/from the red centre.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wrxmom
Where's the Rio run?
Ooooh.....I forgot that it was an open jaw.

Actually, technically, it was just a one-way trip.

And if we're looking at a one-way award with great stops along the way, this was a pretty awesome one, too:

Click the images for some of the stories from the trips.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
These examples above are so conventional, restricted and missing all the fun!

HAV-YYZ-GRU(stopover)-JNB-ABJ
BKK-HKG(stopover)-SIN-CMB
HKG-BKK-SIN-MNL
APW-AKL-PVG(stopover)-BKK-CMB
BKK-SGN(stopover)-BKK-HKG open jaw MNL-ICN-BKK-CGK
+ many, many more
Old May 25, 2012, 2:56 pm

My best trip ever was with Cathay (using AA award when they still allowed free stopovers about 3 years ago).
Flew NYC to Australia with free stop over in HK (outbound)-visited Macau via ferry.
Open jaw in Australia, arrival in Melbourne (east coast)---train and bus and local airlines to Sydney, Queensland (Gold Coast), Ayers rock (Alice Spring) and outbacks and finally to west coast of Auzzie and departed from Perth. Also took advantage of the free stop over(inbound=homebound) with a stop over in Vancouver (also with a 2 hr drive to Seattle) before returning back to NYC.
Took over 1 month from work to make this work.

But reading some of the EURO and ASIA trips some have posted seem to have me beat so ^ to all of you.

Sharka

Last edited by sharka; May 25, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Old May 25, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by sharka
My best trip ever was with Cathay (using AA award when they still allowed free stopovers about 3 years ago).
Flew NYC to Australia with free stop over in HK (outbound)-visited Macau via ferry.
Open jaw in Australia, arrival in Melbourne (east coast)---train and bus and local airlines to Sydney, Queensland (Gold Coast), Ayers rock (Alice Spring) and outbacks and finally to west coast of Auzzie and departed from Perth. Also took advantage of the free stop over(inbound=homebound) with a stop over in Vancouver (also with a 2 hr drive to Seattle) before returning back to NYC.
Took over 1 month from work to make this work.

But reading some of the EURO and ASIA trips some have posted seem to have me beat so ^ to all of you.

Sharka
What's this inbound = outbound?
Old May 25, 2012, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What's this inbound = outbound?
Sorry,
Outbound = departure from home (NYC) or the 1st leg of the trip
Inbound = returning home or the final leg of the trip
Old May 25, 2012, 3:30 pm

I got two coming up over the next few months.

SFO-Lima (stopover)-Cuzco (stopover)
Arequipa (overland to AQP)-Easter Island
EI-Santiago (Stopover)-SFO

All for about 52.5k in coach for my brother and BIL and about 92.5k for me in business. I could have added Argentina, but didn't want to rush. The good old days of BA!

After that, going with the wife on the following:
SFO-NYC (10 hours)-Zambia/Zim
CPT-LHR for the olympics
LHR-LAX-SFO on virgin's upper class

All for 120k UA/CO miles per person in business. I could have added another open jaw, but again, time was tight due to hotel availability. Virgin is no longer affliated with UA, so even though I want to push back the flight a few days, I don't want to lose that flight!
Old May 25, 2012, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Various open jaws along the lines of SIN-NRT-oPDX-AMS-oMUC-CDG-MRU, MRU-CDG-oMUC-AMS-oPDX-LAX-PPT, etc. I don't think it's smart to explain what airlines, how many miles, how to book etc in this forum that has become the primary source for the content of many blogs.

Last edited by philemer; May 26, 2012 at 9:30 am Reason: removed OT comments
Old May 25, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
This past summer, my wife and son and I did JFK-LIM-EZE (stop)-SCL-IPC (destination)-SCL (stop)-JFK.

Approx. 15K miles in Biz class for 80K BA points for each ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.