Search

Minting the luggage cart at FRA

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 1:44 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Minting the luggage cart at FRA

This one is involving real manual labor - so not for me

At FRA airport you can pay for your luggage cart with a miles earning card and you'll get the deposit (2 EUR) back in CASH when you return the cart.

There seems to be no limit in place.

So a long layover in FRA can 'easily' net you 10k miles and a ton of EURO coins. It's also a nice cash advance.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:55 pm

The earning rate is just too slow...

Assume that you use Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and suppose that it is counted as travel expenses. At a 2% cashback rate, 1000 such transactions will make 2547 miles for free. Points can be converted to miles at a 1:1 rate.

If you use Chase Freedom Card with a Chase checking account, you earn 10 points per transaction in addition to the 1% cashback. However, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee. With some simple calculation, we see that every 1000 transactions make 11547 miles at a cost 60 EUR, which is about 76.42 USD. The rate is 0.662 cpm.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: Several dozen
But you need a Euro credit card with pin chip to avoid exchange fees or bum exchange rates? Hmm....how do I get that euro credit card?

But we gotta have proof this works before it gets in Now for Something Completely Different. I'd rate it somewhere between moving the dead for miles and buying a musical toilet for miles.

Will it work in other airports? Could we see cart runs in the future?

Originally Posted by highman123
This one is involving real manual labor - so not for me

At FRA airport you can pay for your luggage cart with a miles earning card and you'll get the deposit (2 EUR) back in CASH when you return the cart.

There seems to be no limit in place.

So a long layover in FRA can 'easily' net you 10k miles and a ton of EURO coins. It's also a nice cash advance.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can we ask FraPort to raise the deposit requirement to 100€?
Old May 20, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
But you need a Euro credit card with pin chip to avoid exchange fees or bum exchange rates? Hmm....how do I get that euro credit card?

But we gotta have proof this works before it gets in Now for Something Completely Different. I'd rate it somewhere between moving the dead for miles and buying a musical toilet for miles.

Will it work in other airports? Could we see cart runs in the future?
I will be laying over for 3hrs in FRA in about 10 days -- could be fun trying. My 5-yr old will be with me so he'll enjoy the rides.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:18 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akcae
I will be laying over for 3hrs in FRA in about 10 days -- could be fun trying. My 5-yr old will be with me so he'll enjoy the rides.
Hehe that's the FT spirit!
Old May 20, 2012, 8:55 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by samwkchan
The earning rate is just too slow...

Assume that you use Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and suppose that it is counted as travel expenses. At a 2% cashback rate, 1000 such transactions will make 2547 miles for free. Points can be converted to miles at a 1:1 rate.

If you use Chase Freedom Card with a Chase checking account, you earn 10 points per transaction in addition to the 1% cashback. However, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee. With some simple calculation, we see that every 1000 transactions make 11547 miles at a cost 60 EUR, which is about 76.42 USD. The rate is 0.662 cpm.
Use the United Club Visa. 1.5 miles per dollar on all transactions with no foreign transaction fees. After 1,000 cart rentals, you would earn 1,500 miles for free. But still too slow. You would need 16,667 transactions for a free domestic flight in the U.S. Assuming 30 seconds per transaction, that would be about 5.8 days of renting carts and returning them.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scottrick
Use the United Club Visa. 1.5 miles per dollar on all transactions with no foreign transaction fees. After 1,000 cart rentals, you would earn 1,500 miles for free. But still too slow. You would need 16,667 transactions for a free domestic flight in the U.S. Assuming 30 seconds per transaction, that would be about 5.8 days of renting carts and returning them.
No, it's 2 Euros per rental -- that would make it 6,514 transactions at current exchange rates, so it would only be 2.26 days. One flight cancellation in the summer with no other seats available for a couple of days and you're there, assuming you can stay awake the entire time and really, really like pushing luggage carts around.

Of course, Chase would probably look askance at over $16K of purchases in 2 Euro amounts all within 2 days+.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:59 pm

Let's not forget to Mention you would have to have really large pockets to carry 6514 2€ coins around. Have fun lugging those around.... Kinda reminds me of some other coins some of us were lugging around for a few years
Old May 21, 2012, 3:40 am

Sounds like too much work. Why not just hang around places which have a large number of cash paying customers and ask them (the customers) to pay you in cash and let you pay the merchant with your credit card.

If the merchant has problems with this, just say it's part of a social protest and claim First Amendment protection, or the EU equivalent.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by tru2logan
Let's not forget to Mention you would have to have really large pockets to carry 6514 2€ coins around. Have fun lugging those around.... Kinda reminds me of some other coins some of us were lugging around for a few years
I suppose a forklift inside the terminal would be frowned upon?
Old May 21, 2012, 4:49 am
xp0

You just need to sacrifice 2 euro and use one of the carts to push all your coins around in like a giant box or something
Old May 21, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: Several dozen
Is there a bank in there to make a Mint-like deposit? Else I have some well-used heavy duty roller bags.

Originally Posted by xp0
You just need to sacrifice 2 euro and use one of the carts to push all your coins around in like a giant box or something
Old May 21, 2012, 11:59 am

Another deal out in the open now, can't wait until they stop this one too. </Sarcasm>
Old May 21, 2012, 12:04 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tru2logan
We are in luck there is a local branch of Santander:

Santander Bank, Terminal 1, Bereich B, Ebene 3

Open every day and providing 'full service'. Plus this is for a good cause - giving 'large' deposits to Spanish banks is rare these days!

So nothing stands in the way of the next 'pudding man' aeeh 'cart man'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.