Reload this Page >

Are bloggers ruining Flyertalk????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are bloggers ruining Flyertalk????

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 12:48 pm

We should just blame the internet since more and more people have access to it and it also helps spread information. I guess we can also blame google and how there webcrawlers work also to the list.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by mrredskin
I request that you go back and read my posts on this thread to state where I have accused Rick of killing a deal that he has blogged about. I haven't accused ANY blogger of this.
I understand that you're not accusing Rick of killing deals, however, your post cast doubt upon the legitimacy of one person's positive opinion about FTG. My point was, it's not about me or my opinion, it's about FTG's record. Talking about my opinion is a distraction.

Originally Posted by mrredskin
I won't insinuate bias - I will call it legit bias. You really have no argument against this. You were featured (positively) on his blog, so of course you will defend him. All I did was state that you leaned much more heavily towards his side due to this, which is absolutely a fact. It wasn't even a knock against you - it was just stating the obvious.
Is bias still bias if it doesn't affect an opinion? I have 25 FT'ers that can testify that I thought highly of FTG long before FoFT.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:02 pm

AN OBSERVATION:

Comments in this thread are showing and revealing more about some posters,IE Hysterics,Envy,Malice,Resentful of others success,Persecutory,Begrudge,Disapproval,Jealousy, Intolerant,Distrustful,Perplexed,Harangue,Sourness ,Hostile,Complaint,Harassment.

I'll take helpful information from whatever source enables adding to my stash of Miles and Points.
Nothing read in this thread assist in accomplishing that result.

Bloggers whomever you are,I support your existence and look forward to any knowledge that you impart( I don't care what your source is or was).Thanks
Old May 9, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kilton
Yep. The amount of anger is pretty fascinating.
^ Indeed!

But . . . since I'm here . . . Virgin Somalia is offering 50k for enrollment in Somalia Warlord Anger Management Counseling. Ooooops, now this will get picked up by all the evil bloggers before I get signed up, but hopefully it will benefit Frequent Pirates and Somali Swordsmen. Spread the wealth.

Originally Posted by peachfront
Oh gosh. There must be one or two other leisure travelers on the site! I can't be the ONLY one.
*raises hand*

Since (early) retiring, I be all about leisure travel. 3-4 months a year. Life is tough and I got me a 12 month tan.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

The major beef is that deals are getting killed. Where do you think bloggers are getting their info from? Here is a news flash in case you can’t see the forest through the trees, FT. Try addressing the real problem. I will say it again. If you don’t want something revealed then “KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT”.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
You guys are doing it wrong. You don't bomb 14 hours straight in an automobile like it's 1974 and we're all still on Benzedrine. (Especially not with kids in the car. That would be a little whackadoo for sure.) The whole point of the automobile is that you drive two or three hours and then you stop and make a visit to some interesting place and then you drive a bit more and then you visit another interesting place. Or else you just quit driving and there's a restaurant, there's a motel. There is NO NEED to drive 14 hours straight with kids. There are hotels and motels at practically every interstate exit...by contrast, when you fly, the flight is ATL to JNB is still 15 hours whether or not the kids start screaming. Once you're in the air, you're stuck. With the car, you're never stuck except when you choose to be stuck. I would never fly anywhere if I could have taught my Toyota to drive over the ocean...

And I've never yet seen anyone who had to go through security to drive their own car. Why put kids through all that mess until you have to?
Old May 9, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA ExP
You guys are doing it wrong. You don't bomb 14 hours straight in an automobile like it's 1974 and we're all still on Benzedrine. (Especially not with kids in the car. That would be a little whackadoo for sure.) The whole point of the automobile is that you drive two or three hours and then you stop and make a visit to some interesting place and then you drive a bit more and then you visit another interesting place. Or else you just quit driving and there's a restaurant, there's a motel. There is NO NEED to drive 14 hours straight with kids. There are hotels and motels at practically every interstate exit...by contrast, when you fly, the flight is ATL to JNB is still 15 hours whether or not the kids start screaming. Once you're in the air, you're stuck. With the car, you're never stuck except when you choose to be stuck. I would never fly anywhere if I could have taught my Toyota to drive over the ocean...

And I've never yet seen anyone who had to go through security to drive their own car. Why put kids through all that mess until you have to?
Most families can't afford the time (not to mention hotels) to turn two 14 hour driving days into six 4.5 hour driving days on Christmas or Thanksgiving break.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
So all blog info is born on FT?

So if I'm understanding the premise of this thread, if FTer's were to never post anything "interesting" then all the blogs would disappear, or at least have nothing to blog about? Is that about the jist of it?

Hmmmm....
Old May 9, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Oh gosh. There must be one or two other leisure travelers on the site! I can't be the ONLY one.
Youre not

But there are a lot more flyers on this site who do it for work purposes, and a lot less travellers who go to places for fun or because they love to travel.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
So all blog info is born on FT?

So if I'm understanding the premise of this thread, if FTer's were to never post anything "interesting" then all the blogs would disappear, or at least have nothing to blog about? Is that about the jist of it?

Hmmmm....
Can you point me to the blogs that show how to exploit cash back cards? Most bloggers will not take the risk or do the legwork necessary to uncover the true gems.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: HYATT DIAMOND, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold, DL SILVER,
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Youre not

But there are a lot more flyers on this site who do it for work purposes, and a lot less travellers who go to places for fun or because they love to travel.
I think you're right. Realistically, not many leisure travelers can have top elite status in multiple programs.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by QL_714
Can you point me to the blogs that show how to exploit cash back cards? Most bloggers will not take the risk or do the legwork necessary to uncover the true gems.
Couldn't tell you one way or the other but this thread makes it sound like ALL that is on ANY blog is from FT. So there is NO ORIGINAL info? Not one bit?

It would be interesting to do a study of the top "schemes" (and I use that word in the loosest sense) and see if it could be determined where it was first introduced.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:49 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
We Did

Originally Posted by QL_714
We posted about an Amex Cash Back card just this last week. 6% on groceries IIRC.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:56 pm

Oh, this old argument again?

The deals are getting too much publicity and getting killed. Why oh why did they post on the blog? Or why did someone post about it on FT?

So should the small group of people just in-the-know, sharing via PMs and emails just keep it to themselves-and they do-or should the community as a whole know?

Well, obviously if you are one of those "cool kids", so to speak-you don't want anyone else to know so your click can keep them as long as possible. And if you aren't, well, you want them at least posted on FT.

But people on the blogs are probably people on FT, and I would bet quite a bit of money that some of the bloggers are also the "cool kids" who learn about other tricks, promise not to reveal them, and don't.

Last edited by artemis021; May 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Not all kids are the same but there are general rules about human development that people ignore at their peril. Everyone thinks their kid is an exception to the rules and yet, somehow, almost no one's kid is exceptional.
Everybody's kid is an honor student too! I have read the bumper stickers to prove it.
A little OT, but I've seen enough kids on flights (probably thousands over the years) to form the opinion that the vast majority of them do just fine. Sure, there are the occasional meltdowns or bad behavior, but by and large the "rule" is that there isn't a problem. What sticks in people's memory is the 5 straight hours of a 1 year old screaming her head off, not the 10 kids that sat quietly reading, sleeping or otherwise being good travel companions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.