Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:07 am

I am in the same boat as jphripjah. I previously got the 50k Delta bonus for depositing $100k with Fidelity, but now, over 12 months later, I am being told that I am not eligible for the United promotion. The CSR refused to tell me why, and while he said he could try to make an "exception" if I told him more about how I planned to use Fidelity, he wouldn't tell me what I could do or say to qualify! Very bizarre.

Here's my relevant timeline:

May 19, 2014: open Fidelity account, transfer in $105k
May 30, 2014: 50,000 miles posted to Delta account
June 4, 2015: transfer $100k out of Fidelity (past one-year mark)
June 16, 2015: try to sign up for United promotion using existing Fidelity account, am told I'm not "eligible" for the offer

During the 12-month period, I put the $105k in a cash account and didn't do any trades (I thought I might need the money during that time). It just sat there. From what the CSR was cryptically saying--without actually telling me what I could do to qualify--it sounded like Fidelity wanted me to do more with the money that just have it sit there; perhaps because they make money if I trade? I don't know.

I wonder if it is also because I recently pulled the $100k out, and am now trying to put it back in. Again, this is not inconsistent with the stated T&C, but perhaps Fidelity doesn't want to encourage this? But that doesn't make sense, because it stopped me from the promotion even before I tried to make the deposit; I could have deposited $200k (i.e., as if I had never withdrawn the $100k), and yet I didn't even get to that stage.

In any event, it is truly bizarre to be told that I'm not eligible for the promotion, but at the same time the CSR (1) can't tell me why I'm not eligible, and (2) can't tell me what I can do to become eligible--even while asking me questions about my planned activity so that he can make an "exception" to the eligibility standards. I mean, if he would just tell me what they are, I'll comply with them, assuming they are a net positive to me. Why hide the ball? I eventually gave up. So strange.

I will try de-funding the account completely (but keeping it open) and then trying again in a month or so. But I'm not going to go overboard; if Fidelity doesn't want my $100k, I'm sure plenty of other brokerages do.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Sure , they would like for you to make some trades or buy some of their mutual funds so they can make some revenue from that activity.
My guess is that they saw your inactivity and recent large withdrawal and denied you because they felt you were just recycling the funds for the purpose of generating miles. If you had not removed the 100k before applying again, it may have been a different outcome.
If you can't work it out with Fido, there is always Bank Direct for AA miles. They will certainly accept your idle cash.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Sure , they would like for you to make some trades or buy some of their mutual funds so they can make some revenue from that activity.
My guess is that they saw your inactivity and recent large withdrawal and denied you because they felt you were just recycling the funds for the purpose of generating miles. If you had not removed the 100k before applying again, it may have been a different outcome.
If you can't work it out with Fido, there is always Bank Direct for AA miles. They will certainly accept your idle cash.
In our case (two different accounts), we also had no activity, left the funds in the accounts and after 13 months while funds were still in the accounts, we were not eligible. Moved all funds out of both accounts and about a month later, we were eligible again. Hard to really know what the trigger is here. Common advice seems to be to just keep checking back periodically.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The term said fund need to stay there for 9 months, do you need to kept it there for 12-13 months?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by milemission
The term said fund need to stay there for 9 months, do you need to kept it there for 12-13 months?
9 months.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
This same thing happened to me. If you have already received a bonus from them, don't expect to get another one even though the terms say it's available for new and current customers. They won't even tell you why.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jul 6, 2015 at 8:03 am Reason: clean up
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave209
This same thing happened to me. If you have already received a bonus from them, don't expect to get another one even though the terms say it's available for new and current customers. They won't even tell you why.
This is not correct - plenty of people got multiple bonuses but it is indeed ymmv nowdays.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:15 pm

My wife and I have each had the bonuses 4 or 5 times. We have also been turned down. Wait a few days/weeks and reapply That is what we did.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:22 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dave209
If you have already received a bonus from them, don't expect to get another one [...]
In a strict sense this is of course true: you may not be able to take advantage of the offer a second/third/fourth/fifth time without waiting longer than you'd have expected and/or speaking to someone at Fidelity. But many here can confirm that the offer is very much alive -- albeit it with rather opaque terms and conditions.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Gold/1MM UA CO DL US BA
Originally Posted by azepine00
This is not correct - plenty of people got multiple bonuses but it is indeed ymmv nowdays.

I can confirm that i have also received multiple bonuses... I think its best to keep the funds out for 90days and then re-apply.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:22 am
formerly ffactoryxx

So I just stumbled on this thread and was just ready to move $100K into Vanguard however this seems really interesting. I would actually use their trade platform as well to get into some target retirement funds. Few questions however.

1. Expense Ratios are higher so even if I am getting points, it might be worth it to forgo this and plop money in Vanguard.

2. I currently have about 100K in United Miles and their cards but might be interested in trying another airline. Looking to travel to to Japan or Germany over the next year. Would it be best to stick with United and get another 50K Bonus or try for AA or DeltA?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by ffactoryxx

2. I currently have about 100K in United Miles and their cards but might be interested in trying another airline. Looking to travel to to Japan or Germany over the next year. Would it be best to stick with United and get another 50K Bonus or try for AA or DeltA?
Before you choose which points to accrue, it might be good to check out the award charts. In general, AA has a wider range of options to the Far East; Star Alliance (United) is often easier to Europe, although the AA chart is more favorable on the off peak; and Delta is considered harder to redeem, although things are loosing up. These are just VERY broad generalizations, and most programs can get you to your destination if you are flexible. Also, Europe from East Coast and Asia from the West Coast tends to be easier. 50K points may seem like a lot of points, but a look at the award redemption charts will give you a better idea of how far they will take you. I'm a fan of consolidation until the points balances get hefty.

It would be good to do a little research before choosing.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:07 am
formerly ffactoryxx

United seems to offer a lot of options to Europe from East coast which is nice. Trips from EWR to Paris or Germany are 30K each way. EWR is just 1.5 hours from me. Might make most sense to just get more miles there.

We also fly a ton to Houston so that being a hub allows us to use points frequently.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:12 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
1. Expense Ratios are higher so even if I am getting points, it might be worth it to forgo this and plop money in Vanguard.
You can buy many Vanguard target funds (e.g. VTTVX) through Fidelity, thus benefiting from Vanguard's relatively low expense ratios. The catch is a transaction fee (currently $75) when you buy and sell. That makes small transactions and frequent trades unattractive, but someone making a single $100,000 purchase and a single sale at a later date would be paying a very reasonable price for their 50,000 miles.

2. I currently have about 100K in United Miles and their cards but might be interested in trying another airline.
I'd agree with StartinSanDiego on both points: adding to your UA balance is likely to make most sense, but you should definitely do your own research.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by IMH
You can buy many Vanguard target funds (e.g. VTTVX) through Fidelity, thus benefiting from Vanguard's relatively low expense ratios. The catch is a transaction fee (currently $75) when you buy and sell. That makes small transactions and frequent trades unattractive, but someone making a single $100,000 purchase and a single sale at a later date would be paying a very reasonable price for their 50,000 miles.
There is no cost at all if you transfer funds or ETFs in kind to Fidelity. Probably the least effective thing to do, but the best for Fidelity, is to fund the whole thing in cash and just leave it as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.