Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account. Net new assets are defined as an individuals external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Your Fidelity Account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
I understand that the promo says one every twelve months, but I've got more money that I don't mind investing long-term with fidelity...does anyone know if the system allows you to get more than one bonus?

Thanks in Advance
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by graj08
I understand that the promo says one every twelve months, but I've got more money that I don't mind investing long-term with fidelity...does anyone know if the system allows you to get more than one bonus?

Thanks in Advance
The miles promos no longer stack, though it seems the Apple promo still stacks with 1 miles promo. For more miles you'll have to wait 12mo.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
so w/ a brokerage cash account, u put in $100,000, you get out 100,000 six months later? Assuming 0.5%-1% interest rate if u were to put in a CD (optimistically), that'd be like not getting $500-1,000/year or $250-500 for 6 months in order to get 50,000 miles?
That was an excellent question and the answer is "yes". As to the no-risk interest bearing accounts I keep reading about, lol, Fidelity Cash pays about .02% or so at the moment. Their 3rd party deposit accounts, which can pay a bit more, are not available outside of IRAs. Money markets that can be purchased through Fidelity pay about the same as cash right (maybe .03%), and add a tiny but real element of risk. Short term CDs are uncompetitive at Fidelity but you might get .3% for a year CD at the Bank of China. Unless you want to take on significant risk by purchasing a bond or a stock, you will be losing out on cash income by doing this deal. If you already are an investor, no big deal. But if you're doing it just for the miles, something to consider.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:26 pm

Aren't people getting the miles and keeping them even without a $100,000 balance? That's what I heard this weekend at FTU.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kadence
Aren't people getting the miles and keeping them even without a $100,000 balance? That's what I heard this weekend at FTU.
Here's a link to the original thread so you can read up on the way the offer works. Mods here decided to start 2 new threads and retire the old one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-airlines.html
Old May 1, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Cycled the second $50k on Mon (4/26) and the second installment of $25k AA miles posted this morning. Surprised that they posted on Tuesday instead of the normal Monday.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aglp2k
Cycled the second $50k on Mon (4/26) and the second installment of $25k AA miles posted this morning. Surprised that they posted on Tuesday instead of the normal Monday.
Thanks for the post!

I didn't see anything else from you in this thread. Can you give us a bit more info? Was this your first account with Fidelity? If not, how recently had you gotten a previous bonus?
Old May 1, 2012, 11:17 am

Signed up for the UA offer to fund an existing account on Apr 24. Deposited $25k on Apr 24 and $75k on Apr 25. 50,000 miles posted to my UA account today.

I opened my account about 18 months ago using the AA offer

Now any experiences as to when I can pull the money? I only want to keep $25k of the additional funding in the account. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Thanks for the post!

I didn't see anything else from you in this thread. Can you give us a bit more info? Was this your first account with Fidelity? If not, how recently had you gotten a previous bonus?
Yes. My first account opened as a brokerage account (no other existing fidelity accounts) on 3/30 and funded $55k on 3/30. 25,000 AA miles posted on 4/9. Withdrew $51k on 4/14. Refunded the acoount with $52k on 4/23 and 25,000 AA miles posted today.
Old May 1, 2012, 2:39 pm

2nd dip not allowed--

Hubby opened acct in March, deposited 25K on 3/23, another 25K on 3/27, another 25K on 3/31 and last 25K on April 4th. Received his first set of 15K UA miles first week in April (for the 3/23 deposit) and received the remaining 35K UA miles April 22. Total: 50K UA miles, took almost a month to post them all.

Then hubby went in and opened a second account (this time for DL), existing Fido customers. Deposited a "fresh" $15K from an outside account on April 23. Things went very smoothly, no nasty emails. Having no more disposable income, hubby then withdrew 20K from his account, with the intent to churn it. EFT'd it to his local bank. A few days later he EFT'd $17K back to Fido. Today he got the nasty email saying he's ineligible for the DL promo.

It appears if you are putting fresh, unchurned $$ into an existing Fido account--meaning, you have an additional (new) 100K to work with, from an outside source--you are eligible for the 2nd/DL bonus...or at least, Fido doesn't care, they'll take that second $100K deposit. But churners, watch out!

Last edited by elizadoo; May 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
I cycled 35k three times beginning April 13 for the 50k AA miles (posted), then two more cycles, 25k each, to qualify for the $300 Apple card. Will continue until I qualify for $500 Apple card. I see on this thread that Fidelity is supposedly clamping down on cycling. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it's because I put in two or three stock orders a week at limit prices I know won't be met. I figure that way it looks like I want to trade.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it's because I put in two or three stock orders a week at limit prices I know won't be met. I figure that way it looks like I want to trade.
Fido doesnt care. Its the computer system reprogram that shuts down the doubling up of airline promotions now. It doesnt have to do with if you trade or not. Computer system throws an error trigger to marketing who then generates the non-compliance email.

(Right now, as you just read that, "non-compliance" you heard it in your head with a Jeffrey Irons' accent from the Die Hard with a Vengence movie. You know you did).

Better move hard and fast to get the $500 gc with just those 35K pushes.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:40 pm

Latest update re: doubling of miles promotions...

Originally Posted by pcharles
...It's the computer system reprogram that shuts down the doubling up of airline promotions NOW. Computer systems throws an error trigger to marketing who then generates the non-compliance email.[
...and that is that (unless anyone has a firsthand experience proving otherwise).
Old May 1, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Fido doesnt care. Its the computer system reprogram that shuts down the doubling up of airline promotions now. It doesnt have to do with if you trade or not. Computer system throws an error trigger to marketing who then generates the non-compliance email.
Damn. And here I thought I was being smart by making stupid stock limit orders that would never be met.

(Right now, as you just read that, "non-compliance" you heard it in your head with a Jeffrey Irons' accent from the Die Hard with a Vengence movie. You know you did).
Now you're in my head, which I find disturbing.

Better move hard and fast to get the $500 gc with just those 35K pushes.
Ya know, I may just take my ball and go home, satisfied with the $300. Not sure I want to mess with the Fido Police.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:46 pm

can u open it up in a branch? is there a 1099?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.