Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by slawecki
if i pick up 100k of assets and transfer them to fidelity, then leave them for 6.01 months, then move the assets, do i get 50K UA miles or not.

is there a better single mileage deal out there?

i do not plan to play apple, or anything else. i have a few 100K-30 year bonds. they are priced at 101, so that gives them a portfolio value of 101K. will that qualify?

i am certain the answer is somewhere in the 30 pages of posts of people trying to double dip and triple dip. i would just like to move the bonds from etrade to fidelity, and get 100k(his and hers).
I think the transfer of bonds or other marketable securities would qualify. Why not read the Fedelity offer or call Fidelity to confirm?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Next to nothing.

People do this are definitely not for the interest earning. If you want cash interest earning this is definitely not for you.
So long as the interest rates remain as low as they are now, points/miles have more value than any interest paid less taxes on the interest.
Now if the interest rates start rising (not a chance in this economy) then the game changes.

Keeping $100,000 under the mattress (tempting cuz of scandals on wall street and banks!) doesn't give me 50,000 points for a one way business class ticket to Europe!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not understand why everyone keeps commenting on the lousy interest rate fidelity pays. the way i read that offer, it is not limited to a cash deposit only. will not fidelity give you the miles if you deposit assets?

assets and cash are two different things.

for example, some european stocks and preferred stocks pay 6-15% interest. 30 year AA coprorate bonds pay 6%. i would think these would qualify as assets. risk is not the issue here, the question is why does everything think this is a cash only deposit. even if one deposits cash, can one not invest it as one sees?

100k miles buys a saver rt tatl. i think that worth at least 4-5000. anyone know how to acquire one for less?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by kayjay
I think the transfer of bonds or other marketable securities would qualify. Why not read the Fedelity offer or call Fidelity to confirm?
Bonds and stocks funds will qualify. If you are transferring around $100K, just be aware of the closing price on the date of transfer went thru (which will be used to determine your assets value).
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not understand why everyone keeps commenting on the lousy interest rate fidelity pays. the way i read that offer, it is not limited to a cash deposit only. will not fidelity give you the miles if you deposit assets?

assets and cash are two different things.

for example, some european stocks and preferred stocks pay 6-15% interest. 30 year AA coprorate bonds pay 6%. i would think these would qualify as assets. risk is not the issue here, the question is why does everything think this is a cash only deposit. even if one deposits cash, can one not invest it as one sees?

100k miles buys a saver rt tatl. i think that worth at least 4-5000. anyone know how to acquire one for less?
Assets certainly qualify. There is NO requirement about the transfer in "new money" must be cash.

However, all asset classes carry various risks. Even Treasuries carry risk unless you hold it till maturity, otherwise its market value fluctuates - what if you need to cash your Treasury when the market condition is not favorable?

You cannot take away the risk issue.

The reason why people are talking about interest is because cash is the only asset class that is being under FDIC so it can compare the miles earning with the interest earning without factoring any risk / return factor.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assets certainly qualify. There is NO requirement about the transfer in "new money" must be cash.

However, all asset classes carry various risks. Even Treasuries carry risk unless you hold it till maturity, otherwise its market value fluctuates - what if you need to cash your Treasury when the market condition is not favorable?

You cannot take away the risk issue.

The reason why people are talking about interest is because cash is the only asset class that is being under FDIC so it can compare the miles earning with the interest earning without factoring any risk / return factor.
in these difficult times, a lot of currencies have and will depreciate. the fdic is a usa origination. i doubt if cash in fidelity(a brokerage) is fdic insured. i am not certain what " miles earning with the interest earning " means. mileage value has depreciated considerably even when compared to the us dollar.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:17 pm

Advice for long term Fido customer

I have been a Fido customer for many many years (not through employer) with both retirement and non-retirement accounts, but I've never done any of these mileage deals. Guess I figured they'd always be around (not). Anyhow, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. I would like to pull the money out of Fidelity, then put it back in to get the bonus. Any advice on how to finesse this? Can I get more than one deal? Thank you.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by GoGreen
I have been a Fido customer for many many years (not through employer) with both retirement and non-retirement accounts, but I've never done any of these mileage deals. Guess I figured they'd always be around (not). Anyhow, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. I would like to pull the money out of Fidelity, then put it back in to get the bonus. Any advice on how to finesse this? Can I get more than one deal? Thank you.
I was also a long time FIDO customer, recently pulled the trigger, and it went as smooth as can be. I am looking forward to pulling this again in 10 months...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:07 pm

Are there any other financial institutions that have good bonuses for around $100K of assets transfer? I saw that TDAmeritrade offers $300 cash for $100K and $600 cash for $250K, but I would rather have a good solid airline/hotel promo that could be used for more.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:41 pm

in these difficult times, a lot of currencies have and will depreciate. the fdic is a usa origination. i doubt if cash in fidelity(a brokerage) is fdic insured. i am not certain what " miles earning with the interest earning " means. mileage value has depreciated considerably even when compared to the us dollar.
Cash in a Fidelity account is FDIC insured...and is therefore risk free unless you think the US government is going to fail, in which case you should be on a whole other forum.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:42 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by garkman
Cash in a Fidelity account is FDIC insured...and is therefore risk free unless you think the US government is going to fail, in which case you should be on a whole other forum.
Not correct.

Customers of US brokerage firms are insured by the SIPC, not FDIC. SIPC insures brokerage accounts up to 500k, but not more than 250k of cash "awaiting investment". SIPC, like FDIC is a government sponsored entity which enjoys the "implied" backing of the US government.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cash in FIDO is SPIC insured, plus Fido itself also carries additional insurance. Cash at FIDO is very safe - in case you are not aware of it, over 50% of this country's 401K is administered by FIDO, and itself also has a very sizable IRA accounts. If FIDO goes under, this country would be in chaos - more so than say, Citi bank goes under.

In the sense of "no risk" - only cash has no market fluctuation risk, as well as no decision-making required. That is why people compare it to the cash interest earning. If you dont convert your USD to foreign currencies, you dont feel the depreciation of USD, though you may feel it in a different form - inflation in imported goods, higher fuel prices, to name a few.

Most people "value" miles at 0.015 and above per mile. Sometimes it can go up considerably higher in certain situations (and I am not even talking about the "feel good" valuation of a first class long haul to Hong Kong type of redemption.)

Using this "value" and comparing to what you get as an interest earning with a CD or whatever, the mileage earning is much greater than the cash interest earning, even not taking in tax effect in account.

Over the past few years, believe or not, mileage actually goes UP in value because airfares are much higher due to years of capacity cutting.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just as a head up to the interest conversation, Capital One (last month) was offering 0.07% for opening a new account. I think the minimum is/was 50k.

dh
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just as a head up to the interest conversation, Capital One (last month) was offering 0.07% for opening a new account. I think the minimum is/was 50k.

dh
C1 has an online Saving Account that is 0.60% with 10% bonus every quarter.

C1 also has a checking account guaranteed 1.00% capped at $100K if you can open it at its brick and mortar branches.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:04 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier

I don't understand this response.

If you already own stocks, bonds, or mutual funds you can transfer them into Fidelity and get the miles. There's absolutely no change in risk. Are there really that many FT'ers who have 100k in cash but own absolutely no stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.