Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by flyertm
Also, since I dont have a preference at this point, which are more valuable - 50,000 AA, Delta, or United miles?
According to this tabulation United is the most valuable:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/what...uation-series/
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Is there a limit for when you elect which miles offer you want? I deposited over $100,000 in stocks, over 1 year ago. The rep said I need not choose which miles I want at that time, and could make my election later, once I decided if I wanted AA, United, or whichever. Is there a limit by which they must be chosen?

Also, since I dont have a preference at this point, which are more valuable - 50,000 AA, Delta, or United miles?
Not to scare you, but I think they generally hardwire the code for the particular airline when you first sign up. I have not heard of anyone later designating the airline and in any event waiting over a year seems very risky. I would definitely contact fidelity asap with your selection. The value of the miles is directly commensurate with how you intend to use the miles. Which airport(s) are closer to you? If near a particular airline's hub that might give you the most flexibility.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:07 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by CALlegacy

Perhaps. Depending on where you live - where you want to go - and what class of seating you prefer. Robyn
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PART 1:
Originally Posted by robyng
Perhaps. Depending on where you live - where you want to go - and what class of seating you prefer. Robyn
PART 2 availablilite, with and without status.

PART 3: the "fuel charge"

i have no status with nobody. that leaves us UA, who offer quite a bit. i can hardly get on the delta, BA, or AA site. LH charges a thousand dollar to go to restroom. most of the rest of the airlines do not visit the center of power on earth(wash dc).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:31 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by robyng
Perhaps. Depending on where you live - where you want to go - and what class of seating you prefer.
All true. Also: what you already have in the way of miles or transferable points and what you're planning to earn from other sources in the future. And so on. It simply isn't the case that an airline mile has a fixed value and that that value is the same for everyone.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:57 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by slawecki
PART 1:

PART 2 availablilite, with and without status.

PART 3: the "fuel charge"

i have no status with nobody. that leaves us UA, who offer quite a bit. i can hardly get on the delta, BA, or AA site. LH charges a thousand dollar to go to restroom. most of the rest of the airlines do not visit the center of power on earth(wash dc).
Guess it also depends where you've already been. And whether your trip is discretionary - or not.

At our age (my husband and I are pushing 70) - we've been to Europe umpteen times. And - except for recent trips there to Berlin/Munich/Cologne and Stockholm (off the beaten path but well worth visiting IMO) - well getting to the "major" tourist airports has been too hard in terms of "front of the plane saver trips" recently. So we did Tokyo last year - and are doing Singapore this year.

We - like you - don't have any status either. And - although I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to paying a fair amount in fees on partner airlines - I don't like not being able to pick my seats when I'm buying a flight with miles on a partner.

Also - living in the southeast (flying out of JAX) - we go back and forth between UA and Delta (somewhat favoring Delta because ATL is a great hub city for us).

Still - it's getting to the point where you need a million billion miles (just a slight exaggeration ) to get front of the plane seats with miles. I'm afraid this next trip to Singapore (280k miles for 2 first class RT seats) will be about as good as it gets in years to come.

Our last time around with Fidelity - we took the miles on Delta - because it dovetailed with the points/miles we've been accumulating on our primary credit card - AMEX. Robyn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by CALlegacy

Am I reading the chart you provided incorrectly, or are you?

I see American Airlines worth 1.7c, United 1.6c, and Delta 1.2. Since 1.7 is more than 1.6, American points would be worth more.
Maybe you glanced too quickly and looked at the 2013 values where United was 2.c and American was 1.9c
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:52 pm
IMH

I see American Airlines worth 1.7c, United 1.6c, and Delta 1.2.
The figures are (slightly) different again in the most recent chart offered by the blogger CALlegacy linked to -- but bear in mind he's not so much an authority as a credit card salesperson.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 pm

Am I reading the chart you provided incorrectly, or are you?

I see American Airlines worth 1.7c, United 1.6c, and Delta 1.2. Since 1.7 is more than 1.6, American points would be worth more.
Maybe you glanced too quickly and looked at the 2013 values where United was 2.c and American was 1.9c
NOte: all these charts are just a guide as I've found they are almost never accurate for everyone. It all depends on which hub you fly from as living near one can increase chances of getting a seat and which airlines you can ACTUALLY book a seat on.
ex; a chart that values AA higher than United but you live near an United hub and AA only have few flights will make you think twice about the chart
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:07 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sharka
NOte: all these charts are just a guide as I've found they are almost never accurate for everyone. It all depends on which hub you fly from as living near one can increase chances of getting a seat and which airlines you can ACTUALLY book a seat on.
ex; a chart that values AA higher than United but you live near an United hub and AA only have few flights will make you think twice about the chart
^

I fly out of JAX where UA and DL are the dominant legacy carriers and AA has only a few flights. If I flew out of MIA - AA is totally dominant there.

It also depends where you want to go - when - what class one prefers to fly - and other places where one might have miles/points (FF accounts - credit card accounts - etc.). 40-50000 miles - standing alone - doesn't get you very far these days. Robyn
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I am on the phone with Fidelity right now and they are denying me for the offer. They are stating it's a 'targeted offer' that they solely offer to certain people. I countered with the fact that this offer is listed on their website and nowhere in the legalese does it state this. They said they are able to offer me promotions if I am willing to transfer in cash and make trades. I told them I would consider other promotions but at the moment wanted to finish discussing this one.

I then asked to speak with a supervisor but he was also unable to assist. He also asked me how I found the offer. I told him directly on United's website in their "earn" miles area which is available for the general public to see. He seemed about to suggest I found a page that wasn't for everyone - but didn't once I told him where I found it.

I have taken advantage of this offer for 3 straight years (by transferring in-kind transfers of a mutual fund), which is allowed under their T&C's. Apparently they no longer want this type of business since it doesn't earn them any money. Which is a perfectly understandable reason. They even asked me how I planned to transfer in funds (cash or in-kind) and when I responded in-kind, I was denied. Which corroborates my belief they no longer want this type of business.

However, their T&C's do NOT state anywhere that I am ineligible or that in-kind transfers are not allowed. So now I'm off to write a letter to their General Counsel to get them to honor their current terms & conditions (which the supervisor stated would likely be changed shortly). If they want to disallow in-kind transfers that is their prerogative however they must do it AFTER modifying their T&C's, not before.

I do see that they have modified their terms further (since the wiki update) to state "Other terms and conditions, or eligibility criteria, may apply." Apparently this is their way of disallowing people whose business they do not want. However, to me this is misleading as I was eligible for 3 straight years with the exact same amount and transfer type. So they modified their eligibility criteria, but I have no way of knowing for what. They should simply state they don't want in-kind mutual fund transfer and solely want people who transfer in cash and make trades.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Sep 18, 2014 at 11:08 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:12 am
IMH

How long is it since you last received miles? A lot of reports here suggest that sometimes waiting a little longer is all that is needed. Some people are then able to sign up online, others after a phone call or secure message.

Writing snotty letters to Fidelity is unlikely to bring anything good.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IMH
How long is it since you last received miles? A lot of reports here suggest that sometimes waiting a little longer is all that is needed. Some people are then able to sign up online, others after a phone call or secure message.

Writing snotty letters to Fidelity is unlikely to bring anything good.
It was 13 months ago that I last received miles.

I find letter writing to be a very good way to have things honored. I've done this American Express, HSBC, Starwood and others. And I've always gotten some sort of compensation, sometimes even more than I felt entitled too. Mostly, they just want me to go away. Works for me. I only write a letter when I feel I'm in the right - as in this case. However, I may not write a letter this time. It's obvious the change from the wiki to today (in the past 4 mos) they added "eligibility criteria" means they likely have received complaints about this - and this is their way of dealing with it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:14 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It was 13 months ago that I last received miles.
Then I'd suggest a calendar reminder to try again in October (please let us know how you get on).
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:32 pm

Keep in mind that you have to have the money in the account for 9 months after receiving your miles (not from initial deposit).

Account holders must maintain the minimum qualifying account balance (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility, or margin debit balances) at Fidelity for nine months from the date on which the reward is received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.