Wiki Posts
Search

How to maximize my shopping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, US Air,Delta, Southwest
How to maximize my shopping

Looking to buy an engagement ring in Cartier which is around $8000. I seldom make such a big purchase and would like to earn more points or miles out of it.

I 've searched around but failed to find any online store that can earn more than 1 point per dollar spent.

Is there a good strategy or card I can apply to make use of this opportunity to earn more miles for my honey moon

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 2P
How about this citi-bank card, 5 TY points per dollar for the first 6 months:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-for-6-months/
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Don't worry, your shopping will be maximized once you get married
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by pvs001d

and hopefully not at the end :
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I will look into this.

Originally Posted by flyBernoulli

I believe so!^

So I think I would just apple 1 or 2 extra good cards and let my spend to cover their spend requirement.

Originally Posted by pvs001d
It looks like this offer doesn't come with a sign up bonus which is a huge deal breaker since by spending $8000 I can only get 40000 thank you points.

I should be able to apply 2 more credit cards with sign up bonus and use that $8000 to cover their spend requirement.

Thinking getting the SPG card and the Virgin Atlantic one.

Originally Posted by flyBernoulli

Last edited by philemer; Apr 10, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, DM Silver, RR, AA, US, BA
Originally Posted by deskdxl
I should be able to apply 2 more credit cards with sign up bonus and use that $8000 to cover their spend requirement.

This is a good strategy. Major purchases like this are one of the best opportunities to open cards with larger spending requirements to get the bonuses.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Depending on your spending patterns, it might be better to get a card with a high spend requirement, like the Amex Biz Gold ($10K in 5 months). Then get the cards with a more moderate spend requirement when you're spending at "normal" levels.

Presumably there will also be a wedding with the opportunity to earn some points/spend.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by deskdxl
Thanks! I will look into this.
It looks like this offer doesn't come with a sign up bonus which is a huge deal breaker since by spending $8000 I can only get 40000 thank you points.

It doesn't, you're right. Althought you could sign up for the version that does have a signup bonus (50K TYP on $3K spend) and another one or two cards that require spends.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

You are right. The wedding would spend even more. But I plan on going to the honeymoon right after the wedding, so the wedding spend really doesn't help my honeymoon plan.

I am thinking booking first class flights and staying in great hotels in south America for the honeymoon by using all the miles I earn these couple years. I am excited already for the whole plan.

Originally Posted by redtop43
Depending on your spending patterns, it might be better to get a card with a high spend requirement, like the Amex Biz Gold ($10K in 5 months). Then get the cards with a more moderate spend requirement when you're spending at "normal" levels.

Presumably there will also be a wedding with the opportunity to earn some points/spend.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:18 pm

I suggest an edit to your first post to flesh out your request. For example, you may wish to provide more details such as timeframe for earning points/miles, spend level on a monthly/yearly basis (and near term), credit score/age, what credit cards you already have and when you have last applied for them, what are you looking to get specifically (free airplane tickets, hotels, destination), etc. Also, is your gf going to apply as well?

If you don't provide enough information, I am afraid no one can efficiently or effectively help you reach your goals and this thread won't get updated with further responses. I see one poster replies to your first post, then you reply with additional info that would have been helpful in the first post.

You have to help others that may want to help you by providing a sufficient level of detail.

Please let me know how I can buy a Cartier ring online, as I am not aware of such an ability. Also, my anecdotal experience is that Cartier's prices are more negotiable than Tiffany's, as one example, but YMMV. Who knows, offering cash for the e-ring purchase may end up getting you a bigger discount than rewards you can earn with a credit card as well!

Also, while virgin atlantic and starwood are good cards, it may make sense for you to explain why it would be so beneficial to you. In analyzing your thinking for these cards, others may be able to refute your assumptions, agree with you, and/or suggest alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.