Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Chase/Staples.com

Marriott/Chase/Staples.com

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

What is FlyerTalk etiquette for the delay between suggestions/postings here and then publication on travel blogs? I guess I am naive, but I would expect that at a minimum credit would be given to Flyertalk since it was proposed here and five days later it was posted on your blog:

March 20

Marriott Triple Dip

While planning upcoming trips, a couple of Marriott properties have caught my eye. They both received great reviews and are in perfect locations for where I want to be. The downside is that neither has award availability for the time I want to go. So, what are my options? Can I double or triple dip my way to savings? Can I get points for buying Marriott gift cards, and for using the gift cards to take some of the sting out of paying for a hotel?
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...tt-triple-dip/

I bought the gift cards, but don't travel for a few weeks.

Last edited by BoilerHack; Mar 26, 2012 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:41 pm

I don't know if there is any official etiquette, but yes if a blogger learns something from Flyertalk that isn't also posted in many other places it makes sense to me that the blogger should credit the source.

In this case, there was really a weird coincidence going on. I've been planning a Marriott triple dip post for quite a while (I have emails about it that date back to February 3rd). And, the day before I discovered your post, I outlined my triple dip blog post in my to-do list. I was really surprised about the coincidence when I saw what you had written.

So, given that background, should I have credited you/flyertalk? I certainly don't mind giving credit, but as explained above, I didn't think of it as something I learned from here. I'm curious what others think. Was there a faux pas here? What should I have done?

Originally Posted by BoilerHack
What is FlyerTalk etiquette, for the delay between suggestions/postings here and then publication on travel blogs? I guess I am naive, but I would expect that at a minimum credit would be given to Flyertalk since it was proposed here and five days later it was posted on your blog:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...tt-triple-dip/

I bought the gift cards, but don't travel for a few weeks.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
So, given that background, should I have credited you/flyertalk? I certainly don't mind giving credit, but as explained above, I didn't think of it as something I learned from here. I'm curious what others think. Was there a faux pas here? What should I have done?
Like you said. Coincidence. No credit is due, and you don't have any reason to make up a story here. ^
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:35 am
Original Poster

My initial assumption was that it was just a coincidence. Your postings in this thread weren't phrased as if it was something you were already exploring. This is just my real life and FT world colliding (I am a stickler about citations) . Anyway, no harm. I do enjoy your blog.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
There seems to be some confusion about whether it is better to use the Marriott Visa or purchase the Marriott GC's through the UR mall when in truth it is a pretty straightforward calculation:

Marriott Visa $1000 hotel spend = 10000 + 5000 CC bonus + 5000 elite bonus (assuming platinum status) = 20,000 points

UR Mall $1000 in Marriott GC's = 5000 + 4000 bonus UR points + 15000 Marriott points for the same stay (also assuming platinum status) = 24,000 points

It seems like you would get an extra 20% Marriott points in total by going through the process of buying the gift cards through Staples, so long as the bonus levels stay as they currently are.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Points posted

I used $1000 Marriott gcs for my Marriott stay. My 4000 URs posted from using the UR mall to buy from Staples.com and my 5000 URs from Ink Bold office supply also posted. I also 11200 points from Marriott. The guy at the front desk did ask me where I got all my GCs, but I just said they were a gift. He said he would've normally had to put all the codes in by hand and it would've taken forever, but they just updated the system, so it was pretty smooth. A bit of a hassle, but it was worth it especially since this was a business stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.