Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

THANK YOU THANK YOU! 670,000 Points later.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

So ten months ago I didn't own 1 mile/point of any kind. Fast forward to now and I have close to 670,000 of them. I could not have do it with out the help of this community. I have had a 10+ day Vacation paid for (flight/hotel) and 4 other flights all taken care because of the points I have earned. So again, thank you to everyone. Especially the people that take time to explain things to noobs like me. I paid/pay the cards off in full each month so I did not pay any interest. I have since cancelled the AA Citi Visa + Amex because it was coming time to pay the annual fee.

Run down of my points for the past year:

75k AA Citi Visa
75K AA Citi Business Amex
75K AA Citi Visa (Wife)
75K AA Citi Amex (Wife)
50K Southwest Premier
50K Southwest Plus
50K Southwest Premier (Wife)
50K Southwest Plus (Wife)
30K Chase Freedom
30K Chase Freedom (Wife)
50K Chase Ink Business
50K Amex Gold Business

Credit score when I started 650+ Now 730+

Please move to appropriate thread if this is not the place.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
mod alerted for move...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You're welcome.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Yes, I know FT University is great but please don't cross-post ever on FT.

Thank you!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
So you can apply to both the Premier and Plus versions of the Southwest credit card and get 50k offer from each? If so does this apply to other cards as well? Sorry I'm a noob at this.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out the Plus is the business version of the card.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Well done! It's nice to read about such success. I'm glad that you've found such great knowledge on FlyerTalk.

Have you redeemed any yet? Any fun trips in the offing?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:44 pm

That's awesome congrats! Hoping to have similar success this year! ^
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:45 pm

congrats......
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Wonderful!

Do you have any big trips planned?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:56 pm

now

now you need to get compainion passes for SW...transfer points to a hotel program that you can transfer to SW to get the last 10K needed. The companion pass will double the value of your SW points.
and congrats for using a bunch for your vacation.....after all that is the point.
Many people just do massive app-o-ramas to collect points.
Success is in the redemption, not the collection.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:01 pm

Miles used for hotel rooms?

Just curious. Which miles did you use for the hotel rooms? Did you get a good value per mile?

Even though my Southwest or AA miles came at zero cost and minimal effort, I just can't bring myself to spend them on anything other than flights because of their value.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Draino3112
So ten months ago I didn't own 1 mile/point of any kind. Fast forward to now and I have close to 670,000 of them.
Wouldn't "we have" be much more accurate than "I have"?

It sounds like a good deal of these were on your wife's accounts. No wonder that sounds like number, because it's for two people applying for cards, not just one.

(And in many of these programs, you can't combine points or miles from two people's accounts. So they really are separate.)

There's nothing wrong with what you and your wife earned, or posting about it, it's just that you didn't make it clear (until/unless someone reads the individual card app notes) that it was 670,000 across two people.

(Until I read on, I couldn't understand how you'd gotten 670,000 all by yourself that quickly. And, of course, it turned out to be that you hadn't, after all.)
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by startbyservingothers
Just curious. Which miles did you use for the hotel rooms? Did you get a good value per mile?

Even though my Southwest or AA miles came at zero cost and minimal effort, I just can't bring myself to spend them on anything other than flights because of their value.
I can't speak for the OP, but did you not notice the Chase Freedom and Chase Ink Business on there? Doesn't the Chase Ink Business enable transferring UR points (including ones for Freedom)? UR points can transfer to several hotel programs.

Similarly, there's an AMEX GOLD on there. AMEX can transfer to several hotel programs.

Finally, in case you're not aware, there's still a way to transfer AA miles to Hilton HHonors points:

redeemaamiles.points.com

That can often (though not always) be a much better value than redeeming the miles directly for hotels. It is a transfer combination that's been rumored to be taken away for quite a while now, but seems to keep working as long as you know about that site.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wise2u
now you need to get compainion passes for SW...transfer points to a hotel program that you can transfer to SW to get the last 10K needed. The companion pass will double the value of your SW points.
and congrats for using a bunch for your vacation.....after all that is the point.
Many people just do massive app-o-ramas to collect points.
Success is in the redemption, not the collection.
Sorry to threadjack, but which hotel programs offer points transfers which count toward a CP?

If I have 110k points in Chase UR, could I simply transfer to a hotel program and then to RR to get a CP?

Edit: Nevermind, found out that Hyatt and Marriot are partners.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Wouldn't "we have" be much more accurate than "I have"?

It sounds like a good deal of these were on your wife's accounts. No wonder that sounds like number, because it's for two people applying for cards, not just one.

(And in many of these programs, you can't combine points or miles from two people's accounts. So they really are separate.)

There's nothing wrong with what you and your wife earned, or posting about it, it's just that you didn't make it clear (until/unless someone reads the individual card app notes) that it was 670,000 across two people.

(Until I read on, I couldn't understand how you'd gotten 670,000 all by
yourself that quickly. And, of course, it turned out to be that you hadn't, after all.)

Why are you surprised? I netted this last 11 months with 1.5 million miles/points. Actually two people. But that's 750k each.

Other than opening cards i also too advantage of fidelity, amex authorized users, as well as amex 100k bonuses for biz card and 75k bonuses for personals.

Anyway, the points is, 600k a person in a year is very doable. Hoping for some good offers to start rolling out for this year. Really looking for BA 100k like they did a year ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.