Wiki Posts
Search

Magazines.com - 40 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Magazines.com - 40 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar

Just checked the Ultimate Rewards portal and saw Magazines.com has 40 points per dollar. I think it's usually 20 or 25 points per dollar, so this seems like a decent deal if you were going to order some magazines anyways.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
^ Perfect timing, thanks for posting.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:51 am

It's actually been at 40 for a while. Plus, if you purchase gift cards first and use them through the mall the second time, you can get 60 pts per dollar! (for some reason gift cards give half the points) I did this back in January for $35, got the gift card then used that for the magazines, and got 2100pts.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
This is cheaper than buying miles at United, and you get the magazine too. This is quite a decent deal.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
How did you get the points using the gift cards? I thought you get points only when using the CC for payment.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:18 pm

that's what the website says, but I (and lots of others) went through the UR mall and paid with a gift card and got the points. Like I said it was half the amount, but 60pt/$ is amazing.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I did buy the magazine.com GC and then used the GC but it still gave only 40pt/$.
Is there something else I need to do that I might be missing ?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by cool0012
I did buy the magazine.com GC and then used the GC but it still gave only 40pt/$.
Is there something else I need to do that I might be missing ?
You should have gotten 20 points per $ for your gift card. Then using the gift card, i.e. money already spent, bought a magazine subscription and received 40 points per $. That nets total of 60 points per $.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:59 pm

There are a lot of charities, homes, and libraries that will like to have a magazine subscription donation.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dagaetch
It's actually been at 40 for a while. Plus, if you purchase gift cards first and use them through the mall the second time, you can get 60 pts per dollar! (for some reason gift cards give half the points) I did this back in January for $35, got the gift card then used that for the magazines, and got 2100pts.
I believe the double dipping loophole may be closed. In February I purchased $1000 mags.com giftcard and got 40 UR points per dollar for the purchase. I received 0 points when redeeming the gift card for magazines for my nephews school library.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
I believe the double dipping loophole may be closed. In February I purchased $1000 mags.com giftcard and got 40 UR points per dollar for the purchase. I received 0 points when redeeming the gift card for magazines for my nephews school library.
oh...could be. Like I said, I did this back in January and it worked. Ah well. 40pts still isn't bad!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:24 am

Be cautious making huge purchases of magazines here. I did one or two, mostly for the points, then noticed in the terms that they keep your card info and auto-renew. I couldn't find a way to change that.

Not that big of a deal if you only order mags you enjoy, but if you are making massive purchases for a school just to get the points, you might have a lot of leg work to do canceling them.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Palaimo
Be cautious making huge purchases of magazines here. I did one or two, mostly for the points, then noticed in the terms that they keep your card info and auto-renew. I couldn't find a way to change that.

Not that big of a deal if you only order mags you enjoy, but if you are making massive purchases for a school just to get the points, you might have a lot of leg work to do canceling them.
Bigger question is, do you automagically get the 40pt/$ for the renewal as well?!?!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
That was my experience, too. I got 40 for my purchase but not the 20. I'm pretty sure the double dipping is dead.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by dagaetch
Bigger question is, do you automagically get the 40pt/$ for the renewal as well?!?!
If they follow the stated restriction, the answer would be no.

From the UR website:

Magazine subscriptions that are automatically renewed are not eligible. Not eligible on the purchase of books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.