Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

36 British Airways Avios Per Dollar Spent at Nordstrom (Expired)

36 British Airways Avios Per Dollar Spent at Nordstrom (Expired)

Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Several dozen
GCs buying GCs?

[QUOTE=elusive1;17978806]
Originally Posted by mzkaiser
Virtual credit cards are linked to some underlying account, not sure how those would hide anything?

Gift cards were purchased or funded somehow, right?

I called Nordstroms CS and they said the limit for buying gift cards was $1000
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mzkaiser
Grand theft (in CA and anywhere else) requires intent to steal. Here, like you indicate, that means you purchase the product with the intent of stealing the points.

However, what you miss is the fact that Nordstrom offers him the option to return the merchandise (which he accepts through performance). The points were a consequence of the transaction, and the transaction expressly provided the right to return the merchandise (I'm sure conditioned upon a return of the points). Thus, upon return, Nordstrom can debit these points from his BA account, or require him to repay the equivalent value, but there's nothing criminal about it.
Uh, didn't miss that. The hypothetical, as phrased, suggests that intent. And with attorneys, including prosecutors, becoming more sophisticated about discovering information through social media (an attorney here in Virginia was just hit with a $250,000 award of costs for attempting to cover up some rather incriminating stuff his client in a negligence suit for the death of his wife posted on FB about his activities after her death, evidence that tended to undermine his claim for damages for the grief of her loss), it's possible a motivated prosecutor might discover a certain post at FT that would serve as decent, although not conclusive evidence of intent.

Now that we've bored everyone else in this thread to tears. . .
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Uh, didn't miss that. The hypothetical, as phrased, suggests that intent. And with attorneys, including prosecutors, becoming more sophisticated about discovering information through social media (an attorney here in Virginia was just hit with a $250,000 award of costs for attempting to cover up some rather incriminating stuff his client in a negligence suit for the death of his wife posted on FB about his activities after her death, evidence that tended to undermine his claim for damages for the grief of her loss), it's possible a motivated prosecutor might discover a certain post at FT that would serve as decent, although not conclusive evidence of intent.

Now that we've bored everyone else in this thread to tears. . .
Yeah, that's really likely because a prosecutor has so much free time from those murder trials and such to even think about FT. Getting IP addresses from FT. Matching the IP address to the home. Proving someone didnt hack into the wireless and use his Screen name. This on top of the FTer not just paying for the miles or returning them after being served by Nordstroms.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Still new to the game but growing everyday!
Originally Posted by salmon515151
Ok I have been trying to sign up for the executive club constantly at several different points throughout the past three days. I have switched browsers and cleared cookies. Does anyone have any idea what to do so I could just get an account? Any help would be very much appreciated!
It's still not working for me either. I've been trying the last couple days myself and have tried several different computers and browsers. It's definitely something on their end. I'll just keep trying until it works.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by leftpinky
Yeah, that's really likely because a prosecutor has so much free time from those murder trials and such to even think about FT. Getting IP addresses from FT. Matching the IP address to the home. Proving someone didnt hack into the wireless and use his Screen name. This on top of the FTer not just paying for the miles or returning them after being served by Nordstroms.
A hypothetical question was posed. A hypothetical answer was given. I understand that the answer given clashes with the idea some have that there are no real-world consequences for their actions.

Whether this ever becomes a real-world scenario depends on the motivation of Nordstrom and a prosecutor as well as the willingness of a jury to buy their arguments. All of those factors are outside the control of the person who posed the hypothetical. But there can be real-world consequences.

Just ask the NBA referees who had criminal charges pressed regarding their claims of travel expenses. Amazing. All jurisdictions have murderers. It's interesting how much time prosecutors have left over for what's considered "white-collar" crime. The problem is, sometimes the decision about who to prosecute is such a crapshoot. That's the reason for the Clint Eastwood reference. If you're feeling lucky, go for it.

You might have even noticed I suggested a potentially workable scenario in the first post on this branch of the thread. Certainly more plausible than buying a bunch of different things and returning all of them because of "buyer's remorse." But, even there, no guarantees.

The only guaranteed scenario is buying stuff, getting your 36 Avios per dollar (while we're talking about guarantees, you know using Avios on BA flights incurs stiff surcharges? Cool because unlike my speculation about prosecution, there's no doubt that BA will hit you for close to $700 in surcharges for redeeming coach from NA to Europe), and then, like the average Nordstrom customer, but not the average FTer, being satisfied with your purchase and never returning it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone tried purchasing virtual gift certificates as opposed to physical cards?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hey guys if you're selling some of your stuff from Nordstroms, PM me! I might be interested in buying some things - dress shirts, suits, ties...etc.!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by blackmamba
Hey guys if you're selling some of your stuff from Nordstroms, PM me! I might be interested in buying some things - dress shirts, suits, ties...etc.!

Sounds like he wants to know what the "hot" ticket items are for his own buy/resell... nice one LOL
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
I manage a colony of 15 feral cats, but sad to say none have signed up for a frequent flyer account, a credit card or a debit card. Not a one of the felines ever bought dollar coins or opened a bank account for miles either. Like many people we know, they are suspicious or just not interested in flying free.
people have claimed animals on their taxes as dependents
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:54 am

I've been reading the last few pages trying to find the answer...I received the items I ordered, but two of them don't fit. I don't want to lose the miles, what's the best way to go about this? I don't think I should get miles if I return the items, but if I exchange, why should I be penalized and lose (pending) miles?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by love2ft
I've been reading the last few pages trying to find the answer...I received the items I ordered, but two of them don't fit. I don't want to lose the miles, what's the best way to go about this? I don't think I should get miles if I return the items, but if I exchange, why should I be penalized and lose (pending) miles?
Just go to Nordstrom and explain the situation. Or you could maybe say it was a gift and dont have the receipt, etc...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
I decided I am not a NYC type

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Is there anything here not grossly overpriced?
There is a nice Merino sweater reduced from a telephone book number to a C class ticket fare number - just like the one I got in Kohls for $6. Oh, am I the only Kohls shopper on FT - sorry to lower the tone?

But my real question is how do I find these super cheap avios fares on AA? I can't see them.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Rip off BA

I thought I'd look at BA's bargain trips to LHR. This is what a roundtrip NYC to LHR is:
40000 Avios + $ 619.32

Why would one hand over 40,000 miles when for close to $619 you ought to be able to buy a roundtrip to London that actually gives you miles?

Well, ok the cheapest I can see on ita in a quick look is $770 but whatever:

Feb 16 UA 18 EWR 9:00AM LHR 9:20PM 7h 20m nonstop
Feb 29 UA 19 LHR 8:40AM EWR 12:05PM 8h 25m nonstop
$770.00

If you are Premier Executive (at least for now) United give you 14,000 miles instead of you handing over 40,000 miles to BA. And you are a good way en route to some status for the year.

Do BA think we are stupid? Maybe people are stupid and it just goes to show that you can fool nearly all of the people nearly all of the time.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:20 am

The key to avois is using it on partner airlines. Also, lhr passenger taxes are outrageous when you leave from lhr. It is something around $250-175 each
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I thought I'd look at BA's bargain trips to LHR. This is what a roundtrip NYC to LHR is:
40000 Avios + $ 619.32

Why would one hand over 40,000 miles when for close to $619 you ought to be able to buy a roundtrip to London that actually gives you miles?

Well, ok the cheapest I can see on ita in a quick look is $770 but whatever:

Feb 16 UA 18 EWR 9:00AM LHR 9:20PM 7h 20m nonstop
Feb 29 UA 19 LHR 8:40AM EWR 12:05PM 8h 25m nonstop
$770.00

If you are Premier Executive (at least for now) United give you 14,000 miles instead of you handing over 40,000 miles to BA. And you are a good way en route to some status for the year.

Do BA think we are stupid? Maybe people are stupid and it just goes to show that you can fool nearly all of the people nearly all of the time.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
I bought virtual gift cards through bigcrumbs @ 4% cashback. Took about 2 hours for gift cards to be sent. Gift cards bought products (all purchases show as pending 36 avios/$). Giftcardgranny shows services buying gift cards at 87% value. If items returned for gift card and resold to giftcard dealer, you are losing 9%, but gaining avios.

If buying large go the bigcrumbs route. If buying small, you could buy a reduced price gift card from a gift card dealer at a discount greater than 4%. Beware, only 1 gift card can be applied to an order.
How do you buy a 4% cash back virtual gift card from big crumbs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.