[Targeted] 37.5K with $500 spend for Amex Blue Sky

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
[Targeted] 37.5K with $500 spend for Amex Blue Sky

Got this PM from another FTer:

I haven't seen this publicized, but I found myself in need of a new card to earn with and discovered (by going to the Amex page) that I was targeted for a 37,500 MR points for $500 in 3 months offer with AmEx Blue Sky.

I believe that's better than the current AmEx offers for fee cards, and with MR points being reasonably valuable it might be worth it for people to know. (Or I might've settled for a crappy offer... I'm not sure).
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:22 pm

This is not MR points, but rather that's $375 in free airfare/travel. Nothing really special about this card, but it's not a bad bonus if you've dried out everything else AMEX. Otherwise, I'd prefer true MR points
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:15 pm

wrong - 7500 points can be credited towards 100$ in travel purchases.
Thus, 37500 points is worth 500$ credit towards travel purchases. I got this deal back in september via a targeted mailing

6500 points can be redeemed for 50$ also I think, which is worth 250$ cash
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
can't you transfer the blue points back to regular membership rewards points once you get another MR account..might be a good card to hold onto for a while..
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:21 am

bitachu I am not sure about MR, unfortunately..

Couple weeks ago i sent a msg in an attempt to convert it to an SPG card but they said no. I followed up with the survey by saying that they should allow more flexibility with their point options, such as folding points into other award programs, or converting cards.. but most likely these various point setups will continue to be separate
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:29 am

I'd imagine they'd have more possible flexibility with bluesky points (points they own), than SPG points, which are point they purchased from a business partner to give to you and no longer own.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
I think the Blue Sky program is different from the AmEx Blue card (confusing).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: UA/CL, DL Silver, AA
Different or not - it's (at the least) convertible to $500 off travel for $500 spend. Assuming you spend regularly on travel, that's better than other fee-free cards presently on offer.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by excalibur713
Different or not - it's (at the least) convertible to $500 off travel for $500 spend. Assuming you spend regularly on travel, that's better than other fee-free cards presently on offer.
I agree I would sign up for this one. ^
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MJLouise
I think the Blue Sky program is different from the AmEx Blue card (confusing).
There are currently five personal Blue cards linked to different rewards programs.

Blue from American Express earns Membership Rewards Express points.

BlueSky and BlueSky Preferred earn BlueSky points worth $0.0133 each.

Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred earn Reward Dollars.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
There are currently five personal Blue cards linked to different rewards programs.

Blue from American Express earns Membership Rewards Express points.

BlueSky and BlueSky Preferred earn BlueSky points worth $0.0133 each.

Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred earn Reward Dollars.
yikes, so many options. which would you recommend for someone looking to downgrade an amex plat / PRG at annual fee time without giving up future signup bonus opportunities? i'm thinking the blue and blue cash everyday are my best options there because the bluesky does apparently offer signup bonuses sometimes, and the bluesky preferred and blue cash preferred both have annual fees?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:52 am
mia

Originally Posted by decibel08
...downgrade an amex plat / PRG at annual fee time...
Only the original Blue from American Express will preserve a Membership Rewards account balance. (The points will be converted to Membership Rewards Express, which cannot be transferred to any other program, but this process can later be reversed.)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Only the original Blue from American Express will preserve a Membership Rewards account balance. (The points will be converted to Membership Rewards Express, which cannot be transferred to any other program, but this process can later be reversed.)
ok but let's say the hypothetical customer has 3 amex cards that all retain MR (plat and PRG type) with one associated MR account, and only wants to convert one or two of the cards down at annual fee time ?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:40 pm
mia

Originally Posted by decibel08
...only wants to convert one or two of the cards ...
Provided you still hold a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion card the points balance and classification would be unaffected by closing or changing one card. However, if you have (for example) both a Gold and a Platinum card there isn't much benefit to converting the Gold card to another type. Typically better to simply close it and apply for another to earn the new account bonus.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mia
Provided you still hold a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion card the points balance and classification would be unaffected by closing or changing one card. However, if you have (for example) both a Gold and a Platinum card there isn't much benefit to converting the Gold card to another type. Typically better to simply close it and apply for another to earn the new account bonus.
right, that's why i'm looking for an amex card with no annual fee, that doesn't offer a bonus - so that by converting down i won't miss out on a future bonus.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.