Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

300,000 hilton honors pts -a plan for a big score

300,000 hilton honors pts -a plan for a big score

Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:40 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list!
I did know about this. Didn't stay up on the thread but looks like it was closed because people were arguing back and forth and not being nice. Seems like it really is hotel specific. Some hotels have really been affected but many have not. I don't think that Hilton is going anywhere (in my little opinion). They are a BIG DOG and I think they'll stay that way. Will see. Time will tell
Originally Posted by Paulchili
If I were you, I'd take a good look at this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hh-points.html

before you jump. It seems that there are many unhappy people Hilton way at the moment. May not be the right time to put all your eggs into the Hilton basket.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There is a lot of over-reaction and inflammatory stuff on that thread.

Your plan is a good one and for almost all hotels you can do a very nice vacation in a nice room for the number of points you're talking about. Go for it.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I would hold off on the cards with fees for the mean time if you dont need the points right away, i have been getting the citi hilton card gettting the bonus miles, canceling and repeating for a while and have always gotten the sign up bonus.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:13 pm

I've been collecting Hilton points since 2002. They have their pros and cons, I have definitely seen devaluation, but there are still good values to be had. I recommend checking hotels in the areas you want to travel before deciding whether Hilton will work for you.

Slowtownmomma, have you found Hilton hotels where you want to go that will accommodate 4 in a room? Hilton London Metropole is a good one if you are still going to the UK. I would try reserving an AXON (room for 4 nights for 125,000 points, the rate requires silver VIP status which is given with the Hilton Amex and must be booked by calling the diamond desk) then emailing the hotel and asking if they can accommodate 4 in a room. Their room with 2 queen beds is going for about 110,000 points a night regularly, as opposed to 40,000 points for a king or twin room, so no guarantees!

300,000 points will get you 8 nights in a category 7 hotel, or 9 nights in a category 6 hotel. I would love to hear how you do finding rooms for 4 in Europe, because if you end up booking 2 connecting rooms, those points won't go as far.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Since you will have an AX card make sure you check out the AXON/GLON threads on Hilton message board, it will increase the value of your points by around 25%. I have been a Diamond for 13 years and am a bit upset about the Premium vs Standard room thing but overall happy with the program.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL FO
I was getting ready to start accumulating HH points in huge chunks for a stay in Bora Bora. The recent change in premium rooms at their premiere properties has made me rethink that. I don't know what direction I should go now but I do know that it has steered me away from this exact strategy that the OP is talking about.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:23 pm

Anyone know if the premium v. standard redemption is also an issue with reward nights in Bali?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Montacute
Anyone know if the premium v. standard redemption is also an issue with reward nights in Bali?
Probably get a faster (and more accurate) answer on the HH boards.
Also, you can do a search there for the property.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:52 pm

still

Originally Posted by Montacute
still unsure,,HH says its an IT glitch, others were told its a policy change that started Oct. 3rd.....It still isn't resolved at some hotels, and many think it is a Delta style devaluation, disguised as a benefit of having "premium room redemptions", at rates nobody wants, with the lowest redemption rates on regular rooms disappearing due to rooms being reclassified or blocked unavailable on their res system. ...welcome to *blocking, DL style 3 tier redemtions on rooms that are now limited by the individual hotel on how many they will make available.....instead of "book any room , any time" at Hilton.....not a good time to start a relation with HH
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by wise2u
still unsure,,HH says its an IT glitch, others were told its a policy change that started Oct. 3rd.....It still isn't resolved at some hotels, and many think it is a Delta style devaluation, disguised as a benefit of having "premium room redemptions", at rates nobody wants, with the lowest redemption rates on regular rooms disappearing due to rooms being reclassified or blocked unavailable on their res system. ...welcome to *blocking, DL style 3 tier redemtions on rooms that are now limited by the individual hotel on how many they will make available.....instead of "book any room , any time" at Hilton.....not a good time to start a relation with HH
I thought the biggest problem was in FP (Moorea and Bora Bora) - don't remember reading much about Bali.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wise2u
It has been over a month since we were told that it was an IT glitch. In the last month we have not heard any additional word from Hilton or the Hilton FT Rep about the "glitch". I would assume that if they still had a glitch we would have heard more from Hilton. Especially considering the emails that have been sent to Hilton Worldwide.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:02 am

have you looked how many points it costs to book decent hotel? I checked few hotels right after I saw 60k bonus offer and they all were 80k-120k range per night.

So while 300k does sound like a lot of points it might only be worth 3 measly nights
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Cash & points when available will be the best use. 25K + $85 for a Cat7 is a very good use at high rate Conrads and Hiltons. Such as Hong Kong. I burned 125K + $425 for 5 nights when the cost of a single night is about $420 for my dates.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:20 am

Perhaps Hawaiian Miles will have some East Coast value now . . .

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...-availability/
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by element7
have you looked how many points it costs to book decent hotel? I checked few hotels right after I saw 60k bonus offer and they all were 80k-120k range per night.

So while 300k does sound like a lot of points it might only be worth 3 measly nights
You are wrong on this, there are plenty of $300-500/n hotels that can be booked for 145k for a 4 night stay with AXON; that's 36.25k/n. 300k can easily get you $4000 worth of rooms in Venice, Paris, NY plus many more; as I said before the Hilton board is very informative how how to find the best deals. Come on, you have to be just as diligent in your search for rooms at premiere properties as you are when booking Business/First class air awards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.