Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by alex22314
I typically use my Amex card and when it's not accepted at some places, I've had a United Mileage Plus Visa card which has given me a fair amount of flexibility and miles. But I am a United Global Services member, so it seems like all of the benefits of the new Mileage Plus Explorer card I already have -- priority boarding, no bag fees, club passes etc. Does anyone else feel like this is a card that offers premium travelers very little in terms of benefits? And if so, what have you done about it?
Thanks everyone.
Merged to more appropriate thread.

For a GS member I think you are right. Main bene might just be the accumulation of UA miles.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:35 pm

Also, the card offers Primary CDW - if you rent cars much that can make a difference. Most cards are secondary.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
There is no offer code like Amex. I usually just send a secure message indicating that a friend told me about the card because they received a 50k offer and request they honor the same for me. The 50k offer is still active from other posts here but targeted. I usually don't mention that the friend is only known through a Flyertalk ID but the jist is true.

I understand the rationale for targeted marketing. However if a company targets 5% of the market they have the potential to anger 95% that are not targeted. I truly believe that when the 0.5% of the non targeted get wind and call they should immediately honor the offer. Why anger those that wish to do business with you? If matching for the 0.5% non targeted busts your marketing budget then adjust your offer just as you do for targeted but non respondents of the offer.
I believe you are misunderstanding the previous poster. This offer is for a 50k (or 60k) United Explorer Chase card (non-business). I had access (already applied) to the 50k (60K) offer but the United Business card is not 50k. Also, the CO Biz Card is not 50k, unless there is an offer you are aware of that we are not. The personal cards and business cards are different offers. It sounds like you are going to request a bump to an offer that does not exist. If the offer does exist for a 50k business card, the previous poster and the rest of us would like you to point this offer out to us.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:18 am

There is no offer code like Amex. I usually just send a secure message indicating that a friend told me about the card because they received a 50k offer and request they honor the same for me. The 50k offer is still active from other posts here but targeted. I usually don't mention that the friend is only known through a Flyertalk ID but the jist is true.

I understand the rationale for targeted marketing. However if a company targets 5% of the market they have the potential to anger 95% that are not targeted. I truly believe that when the 0.5% of the non targeted get wind and call they should immediately honor the offer. Why anger those that wish to do business with you? If matching for the 0.5% non targeted busts your marketing budget then adjust your offer just as you do for targeted but non respondents of the offer.
please clarify

you posted "I called and the Continental Business Mastercard was approved. I'll confirm the promo on receipt and then attempt a bump to 50k. I have no other Chase business cards."

do you know of a 50k business offer that we can try to bump 2? or were you mixing the personal offer of 50k?

did u try the business bump? results?

thanks
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by World-Wide
Still waiting for my card. How fast have people got it in the mail?
Took about two weeks from application, one week from approval, something like that.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
My dad recently got offers in the mail for the same 60k MileagePlus Explorer card offer, but also got an offer for a 60k Continental OnePass Plus card that pretty much duplicates the UA version's offers and benefits. I don't believe he's ever had an affiliated card from either airline.

It comes with the same annual fee ($95, waived first year), 50k after first purchase, 10k after $25k spend, priority boarding, first checked bag free, 2 mi/$ on CO/UA. Just no United Club passes. The terms only state previous and existing Continental Airlines personal cardmembers/accounts are not eligible, but doesn't say anything about the UA card.

Looks like I forgot to take the part of the mailer w/ the terms of the offer. I know the publicly targeted Explorer Card terms do state "United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers will only receive one 50,000 bonus miles award if they apply for both the United Explorer Card and the Continental OnePass Plus Card after 7/19/2011", but any reason to believe that since he was targeted for both cards (with pretty much the same terms) that he could get both bonuses if he applied for both at the same time?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by SPLP007
please clarify

you posted "I called and the Continental Business Mastercard was approved. I'll confirm the promo on receipt and then attempt a bump to 50k. I have no other Chase business cards."

do you know of a 50k business offer that we can try to bump 2? or were you mixing the personal offer of 50k?

did u try the business bump? results?

thanks
We'll have to see how it turns out. My primary reason for the CO Biz app is to grab A bonus before the product is discontinued. 25k is my 'bird in the hand'. Any bump is just a cherry on top.

I could swear I'd read posts of folks continuing to get targeted CO Biz offers but if not it still does not undermine my primary reason for applying: to get a CO award before it goes away for good. Further, for every targeted offer you hear about there are likely a dozen you don't. I've been very successful with Chase bumps in the past and never had to go beyond a basic description of the offer. They've never asked for a friend's invitation code for instance.

My United account just showed up online last night so I'm 4/4 with my last churn.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:01 pm

We'll have to see how it turns out. My primary reason for the CO Biz app is to grab A bonus before the product is discontinued. 25k is my 'bird in the hand'. Any bump is just a cherry on top.

I could swear I'd read posts of folks continuing to get targeted CO Biz offers but if not it still does not undermine my primary reason for applying: to get a CO award before it goes away for good. Further, for every targeted offer you hear about there are likely a dozen you don't. I've been very successful with Chase bumps in the past and never had to go beyond a basic description of the offer. They've never asked for a friend's invitation code for instance.

My United account just showed up online last night so I'm 4/4 with my last churn.
I just got the CO biz card for same reason -- only question is when to cancel card as Chase will one day convert all CO to UA and then we will not be able to apply for the UA biz card -- anyone have any thoughts on this
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:54 pm

Received my card today in the mail. I think I applied 1/27. I also received a flyer in the mail today with a promotion for the very card I received. Anyways, there was a written link for the 60K bonus: unitedexplorercard.com/60k. It also said the promotion ends February 29th.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:16 pm

I've had the CO OnePass Plus and the old UA Visa Signature cards both with a 50k bonus. Can I get this and get the 50k bonus also? Does it count as a 'new' card?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by abcx
I've had the CO OnePass Plus and the old UA Visa Signature cards both with a 50k bonus. Can I get this and get the 50k bonus also? Does it count as a 'new' card?
So did I - got the new card, got the miles, and booked flights this morning with the miles :-)
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by bj2757
So did I - got the new card, got the miles, and booked flights this morning with the miles :-)
Good to know, thanks. So many cards to apply for - this one, the Chase Ink Bold...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:53 pm

Got my card today.

As I assumed (based on credit line), it is a "normal" visa (not signature).

The brochure that came with it includes mention of the PRIMARY CDW that some have been asking about, as well as all the other advertised benefits. One limitation on this benefit I was not aware of - coverage is only afforded for rentals up to 15 consecutive days when traveling in the US and 31 days abroad.

Also, the agent confirmed the 50,000 point bonus on the card.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:40 pm

Anyone know if the primary coverage is only for the primary cardholder or does it also extend to authorized users who do rentals on their own?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Originally Posted by wilsrd
Anyways, there was a written link for the 60K bonus: unitedexplorercard.com/60k.
I entered your link, and it took me to a United login page. After logging in, the page changed to an explorer card mile redemption catalog at:
https://www.theexplorercard.com/ECM/Catalog.aspx

When I stripped the URL to:
https://www.theexplorercard.com

I was then taken to a 40K mile offer page at:
https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPYoureIn40kAFW.aspx

Finally, I edited the URL to:
https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPYoureIn60kAFW.aspx

and landed at the 60,000 mile offer page!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.