Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MikeZ_NJ
Looks like it. Applied for the 2 Citi AA Cards, Barclays US Card, Chase Sapphire Preferred (approved for all 4).

EX is showing 2 inquiries - 1 for Chase, 1 for Citi
TU is showing 1 for Barclays

Not seeing anything for EQ.
My gold/platinum credit pulls were also combined - 1 pull from EQ.

However, YMMV as my wife applied for 2 AA cards at the same time in early Jan. and Citi pulled 1 from EQ and 1 from EX.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
update

Sad News:

Hubby just applied for the Business Visa from link#1. Got to Step 5. He called in, rep said approved it for $1k limit, yes $1000! Then put him on hold to finalize it and then came back and said that she cant issue him a card because he had the card previously.
He was planning on applying for another Citi Card (hilton or aa gold mc/amex) but not sure it its a good idea as this one is denied....i thought the business card was churnable?!? he's had bad luck twice!

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I believe you need to wait 12 months, at that point it had been 8. I would think it's worth it to try again now....
Originally Posted by express3
soooo....what should I do?

Hubby had the Business Visa in Oct 2010. Closed it in Oct 2011. Applied again for business visa in May 2012--denied for previous card holder.

Do you think he should give it another shot now? Was debating between the business visa or mastercard (is the mc still available...didnt see a link?)

He has the personal visa which should be up for renewal next month (opened Mar 2012) and also did the 2-browser for the hilton in Nov 2012--instantly approved for both.

I was thinking to do 2 apps. One business(visa or MC) and one personal(hilton or the AA Amex) I feel the Amex wont go through b/c he has the visa.

What do you think??? Thanks for everything as always
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by MikeZ_NJ
As another data point, I did the exact same thing as this poster, and was just approved online using the 2 browser trick for the:

* Citi Select® / AAdvantage® American Express® card (link)
* Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® (link, from post #4820)

I figured I'd try the Gold, even though it was only a 30k mile bonus, since no one seems to be getting approved for the Platinum/40k one with the two browser trick. 30k > 0k/denial.

80k total for AA. Now, I just need to get Barclays to approve my US Air card...
Just signed up wife for first time with Citi AA cards using this technique. Instant approval on both cards (Amex and Mastercard)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
Just signed up wife for first time with Citi AA cards using this technique. Instant approval on both cards (Amex and Mastercard)
Just did the same thing (50K amex + 30K gold), but both wife and I had the 2 AA cards >20 months previously. Got pending on all 4 apps, but went to chat immediately and reps moved credit limits around to approve all 4.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:14 pm

How safe?

Hi, I am seeking FT's opinions.

Approved for 2 Citi AA personal cards in Oct 2010. Still active.
Approved for Citi AA business in Oct 2011 and closed it in May 2012
Approved for 2 Citi AA personal cards in Sept 2012. Still active.

So, the previous business card was closed 9 months ago. Personal cards were approved 5 months ago.

Never applied for any other Citi cards.

Is it safe to get a Citi AA business for the 2nd time now? According the old rules, it probably will work but, after reading the past 10+ pages, I am not sure anymore. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
Is it safe to get a Citi AA business for the 2nd time now? According the old rules, it probably will work but, after reading the past 10+ pages, I am not sure anymore. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
I think you have a good chance to get the 2nd biz card if you get an instant approval. If the application goes pending for decision, it looks like more and more posters are getting denied based on having had a previous biz card.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Just another data point for those folks who successfully signed up last fall using the 2 browser trick and got both cards, but who have not yet received their bonus on one of them...

In late September I signed up for both the personal visa and the personal Am Ex through the links in post # 1, was approved immediately on both online apps, and received both cards. I met my spending on the Visa first, and received the 50K bonus with the next statement. Then I started my spending on the AmEx, and completed the $3K spend within the four month required time. The spending posted to my AA account, but not the bonus. I waited to see what would happen because of reports here of a "glitch" with Citi sending the second bonus but AA thinking it was a duplicate and not crediting it.

Finally, with Citi not reporting the bonus as sent within another billing cycle, I sent a secure message, and was told I did not qualify because I did not meet the spending within THREE months... Not the FOUR months on my promotion. I replied that I believed I had FOUR months to meet the spending and Citi replied that they were going to check my initial application link; it turns out that four months was CORRECT, and they are now manually adjusting my account to give me the bonus!

So any of you who are waiting for your bonus on the second card after meeting the FOUR month spend should inquire to see if they have you enrolled under the incorrect THREE month spend promotion! (Screen shots would definitely help, I think.)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by chandu2013
If I got the Citi Select AA Visa in Jan, can I get approved for the Gold MasterCard in April (my next AOR)?
My guess is you will be denied for not being a first time AA cardholder. However, I don't believe there are any data points in the thread yet of people applying for the Gold between 1 day and 18 months after being approved for a Select (platinum) AA card. So please report your results if you try it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by ddallas
I think you have a good chance to get the 2nd biz card if you get an instant approval. If the application goes pending for decision, it looks like more and more posters are getting denied based on having had a previous biz card.
I applied and received my 4th business card in mid Jan. I didnt call and let the citi deal with it. The first three cards were approved for $1k limit. The latest business card was approved for whopping $13K limit. go figure..
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bksmm
My guess is you will be denied for not being a first time AA cardholder. However, I don't believe there are any data points in the thread yet of people applying for the Gold between 1 day and 18 months after being approved for a Select (platinum) AA card. So please report your results if you try it.
Only the last three pages.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
I applied and received my 4th business card in mid Jan. I didnt call and let the citi deal with it. The first three cards were approved for $1k limit. The latest business card was approved for whopping $13K limit. go figure..
Whats your pattern like for the business cards? My husband applied twice and got denied twice for previous card holder. My post (#4876) is a few above yours.

Last edited by express3; Feb 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm Reason: ..
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,CO,HA
Declined for AA card

Unfortunately, I did not read experience from other folks doing two browser trick on Amex and Visa. I wish I had read it earlier. They denied the app saying multiple applications for same product. They were not able to locate the amex application though. All the person could see was the visa app.

Any tips on how I can get these cards approved still. I applied an hour back.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gmash
Unfortunately, I did not read experience from other folks doing two browser trick on Amex and Visa. I wish I had read it earlier. They denied the app saying multiple applications for same product. They were not able to locate the amex application though. All the person could see was the visa app.

Any tips on how I can get these cards approved still. I applied an hour back.

Thanks in advance!
I'd take a shot at the gold card that you will read others applying for in the last few pages. If you get denied for multiple applications again today it's no big loss. I don't know if application will be able to be accepted by the system since you made two already today but maybe one of those same product applications didn't count in the system. You might as well give it a shot.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
After reviewing the thread, it seems that purchases for anything associated with a american flight+purchasing tickets+buying gift card will trigger the credit on the account, but not purchasing miles. Can someone confirm if I got that right? Do you buy the gift card thru the AA website?
thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by yztim
After reviewing the thread, it seems that purchases for anything associated with a american flight+purchasing tickets+buying gift card will trigger the credit on the account, but not purchasing miles. Can someone confirm if I got that right? Do you buy the gift card thru the AA website?
thanks.
Yup.
Read post 1987 for a summary by sdsearch for guidelines as to what qualifies for statement credits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.