Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 11, 11, 10:37 am   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 117
Can I use an Amex/Visa gift card to pay credit card bill?

I searched and can't find this topic and I'm thinking it's no but can I use an American Express, Visa, or Mastercard gift card to pay for a credit card bill if I can somehow register the card online with my name and information?
NYmetsfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 10:41 am   #2
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: dallas texas usa
Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Posts: 14,840
i wonder if a gift card would be accepted at a local bank office of the card issuer?
__________________
don....i'm practicing to be a grouchy old man, and getting good at it....
clacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 10:42 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WAS
Posts: 76
No, at least not in any free way.
FT_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 12:23 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North America
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmetsfan111 View Post
I searched and can't find this topic and I'm thinking it's no but can I use an American Express, Visa, or Mastercard gift card to pay for a credit card bill if I can somehow register the card online with my name and information?
Maybe by involving Western Union and paying like a $50 fee
CodeAdam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 1:30 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Royal Oak, MI, USA
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 51
I attempted to pay my Amex bill with an Amex gift card and it was not allowed.

DTW_Newbie
DTW newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 4:45 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmetsfan111 View Post
I searched and can't find this topic and I'm thinking it's no but can I use an American Express, Visa, or Mastercard gift card to pay for a credit card bill if I can somehow register the card online with my name and information?
If you think about it, if you could do this, would there be any need for flyertalk? We'd all have lifetime status on every airline and millions of miles. There would be no need ever to pay for travel or hotels or anything, limited only by your credit limit.

It's pretty much the equivalent of asking, "is there any way to buy cash with a credit card." Of course that would never happen. Well, ok, maybe it would. :0) But you get the point.
lkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 6:25 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
If you think about it, if you could do this, would there be any need for flyertalk? We'd all have lifetime status on every airline and millions of miles. There would be no need ever to pay for travel or hotels or anything, limited only by your credit limit.

It's pretty much the equivalent of asking, "is there any way to buy cash with a credit card." Of course that would never happen. Well, ok, maybe it would. :0) But you get the point.
Well that's why I said I didn't think it was likely.
NYmetsfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:22 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: AA, BA, delta
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmetsfan111 View Post
Well that's why I said I didn't think it was likely.
Nothing wrong with thinking up new ideas and floating them. I do it often, and get shot down with about equal frequency.
ohnodapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 11, 4:36 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmetsfan111 View Post
Well that's why I said I didn't think it was likely.
I wasn't meaning to shoot you down or anything -- it was more to make my little joke about nobody letting you buy cash with credit cards, when, in fact, for the last few years the mint was doing exactly that.

Finding cash equivalents that can be purchased with credit cards is kind of the flyertalk holy grail, so keep at it and see what you can figure out.
lkar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 pm.