Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can I use an Amex/Visa gift card to pay credit card bill?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I searched and can't find this topic and I'm thinking it's no but can I use an American Express, Visa, or Mastercard gift card to pay for a credit card bill if I can somehow register the card online with my name and information?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i wonder if a gift card would be accepted at a local bank office of the card issuer?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:42 am

No, at least not in any free way.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by NYmetsfan111
I searched and can't find this topic and I'm thinking it's no but can I use an American Express, Visa, or Mastercard gift card to pay for a credit card bill if I can somehow register the card online with my name and information?
Maybe by involving Western Union and paying like a $50 fee
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
I attempted to pay my Amex bill with an Amex gift card and it was not allowed.

DTW_Newbie
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:45 pm

If you think about it, if you could do this, would there be any need for flyertalk? We'd all have lifetime status on every airline and millions of miles. There would be no need ever to pay for travel or hotels or anything, limited only by your credit limit.

It's pretty much the equivalent of asking, "is there any way to buy cash with a credit card." Of course that would never happen. Well, ok, maybe it would. :0) But you get the point.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
If you think about it, if you could do this, would there be any need for flyertalk? We'd all have lifetime status on every airline and millions of miles. There would be no need ever to pay for travel or hotels or anything, limited only by your credit limit.

It's pretty much the equivalent of asking, "is there any way to buy cash with a credit card." Of course that would never happen. Well, ok, maybe it would. :0) But you get the point.
Well that's why I said I didn't think it was likely.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Nothing wrong with thinking up new ideas and floating them. I do it often, and get shot down with about equal frequency.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:36 pm

I wasn't meaning to shoot you down or anything -- it was more to make my little joke about nobody letting you buy cash with credit cards, when, in fact, for the last few years the mint was doing exactly that.

Finding cash equivalents that can be purchased with credit cards is kind of the flyertalk holy grail, so keep at it and see what you can figure out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.