Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by compddd
If I call Amex can they tell me if my AUs have been mailed or not?
Yes, I am sure they should be able to tell you that
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by arods3
What is the best method for swiping the card one time to get the actual points. I opened up 10 accounts but not everyone will use it, it will just sit in my draw. Does anyone have any input on how to spend a penny on this account?
I have to make 5 debit purchases a month on my chase checking account a month, so I've spent a lot of time pondering this question.

The method I've found with the best combination of price, ease, and lack of embarassment is the self check out line at the grocery store:

Grab a bunch of ten bananas. Check out each one by one at the self check out line, and the purchases will be 15-19 cents each.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SamOF
I have to make 5 debit purchases a month on my chase checking account a month, so I've spent a lot of time pondering this question.

The method I've found with the best combination of price, ease, and lack of embarassment is the self check out line at the grocery store:

Grab a bunch of ten bananas. Check out each one by one at the self check out line, and the purchases will be 15-19 cents each.
Heh. On the 14th, I read on Gary's blog that the swipe bonus was per billing cycle, not month. My cycle ends on the 16th. I happened to have been on vacation when I read that, so I ended up making 15 swipes on Sunday on my way home. I did multiple swipes at the gas pump -- AmEx will let you do 3 at the pump before telling you to "go see cashier."
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SamOF

that won't work. with code, 6664, you have to purchase something that is over $1. that's the the terms say.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:01 pm

for all of you out there....here's my take with all the extra offer codes that everyone has added to their account.

i've called them multiple times today to try to get an additional code added and IMHO, i don't think they will honor more than one code. you can add them on but when you try to get the points later on, they will only accept one. i tried adding 6661 (75K points for $1K spend in 3 months) and 6664 (10K points/month for 15 transactions per cycle) which were both notated in my account. they kept telling me that you can only use one code per new card but i guess you can technically choose which one you want to use.

the only one that i think will work is if you have the AU on there.

i guess time will tell but this is just a warning to everyone who was able to add more than one offer code. they can always tell you that it was in your account but they are only accepting one offer code.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by oneeyejack
i guess time will tell but this is just a warning to everyone who was able to add more than one offer code. they can always tell you that it was in your account but they are only accepting one offer code.
Your post suggests that you can only have one offer code applied to a card for the rest of your life, and this makes absolutely no sense. Amex has all sorts of offer codes for all sorts of things. Plenty of peoples' accounts are coded with various offer codes for sign up bonuses, referral bonuses, and various other gimmicks (e.g., pay over time). Perhaps you are trying to say that one can't have use multiple offer codes for initial signup bonuses?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Your post suggests that you can only have one offer code applied to a card for the rest of your life, and this makes absolutely no sense. Amex has all sorts of offer codes for all sorts of things. Plenty of peoples' accounts are coded with various offer codes for sign up bonuses, referral bonuses, and various other gimmicks (e.g., pay over time). Perhaps you are trying to say that one can't have use multiple offer codes for initial signup bonuses?
Both 6661 and 6664 are essentially signup bonuses - only difference is the starting points are different, and the tasks required to get the rest are also different.

Actually you can only have one code of the SAME Nature.

The 6661 and the 6664 are essentially the SAME Nature - both are for new card sign up bonus - 6661 is for a lump sum spend amount while 6664 is for multiple transactions, and each code starts with a different level of initial bonus.

The bump up to 75K after 1K spend in 3 months, 6661, gives you more total pts versus the 6664 which starts with a 10K or 15K bonus and if you can do 5 months you add another 50K in total - but still only 60K or 65K - not to mention the hassle involved.

The above was explained to me by a MR a few days ago, while not in the full details I listed above, essentially he hinted the same thing. In fact another MR told me the same thing without explanation - she simply said I already got the bump up therefore I would not be able to get the 15 transactions offer because that actually is part of a new card offer and if you sign up thru the corresponding link, it comes automatically BUT you would NOT know about it hence you most likely would not perform the necessary number of transactions to earn it!
That is why some posters called and they were told their cards are eligible for that offer but they are never made aware of it until calling based on info learned here or other sites.

As a matter of fact, upthread MeToo also posted similar info when he tried to add the code(s) to his newly acquired PRG.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Code 6815 $1K spend in 3 months on AU card for 10K MR Bonus

Just finished talking with MR rep at North Carolina and was able to add 6815 to both mine and husband's PRG personal cards. She did say this is a targeted offer but was able to notate my card after she put me on hold and then came back. Did the same with husband's card. Bonus would be "posted" 6 to 8 weeks after spend requirement is met - but she agreed that we would need to call back to request the bonus.

This is the 10K bonus for spend $1K in 3 months after AU receives his/her card.

I would go ahead to fulfill the $1K spend in the time frame just in case the 5721 is not honored at the end.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Happy
Both 6661 and 6664 are essentially signup bonuses - only difference is the starting points are different, and the tasks required to get the rest are also different.

Actually you can only have one code of the SAME Nature.

The 6661 and the 6664 are essentially the SAME Nature - both are for new card sign up bonus - 6661 is for a lump sum spend amount while 6664 is for multiple transactions, and each code starts with a different level of initial bonus.

The bump up to 75K after 1K spend in 3 months, 6661, gives you more total pts versus the 6664 which starts with a 10K or 15K bonus and if you can do 5 months you add another 50K in total - but still only 60K or 65K - not to mention the hassle involved.

The above was explained to me by a MR a few days ago, while not in the full details I listed above, essentially he hinted the same thing. In fact another MR told me the same thing without explanation - she simply said I already got the bump up therefore I would not be able to get the 15 transactions offer because that actually is part of a new card offer and if you sign up thru the corresponding link, it comes automatically BUT you would NOT know about it hence you most likely would not perform the necessary number of transactions to earn it!
That is why some posters called and they were told their cards are eligible for that offer but they are never made aware of it until calling based on info learned here or other sites.

As a matter of fact, upthread MeToo also posted similar info when he tried to add the code(s) to his newly acquired PRG.
5721 is not a signup bonus though so it should be ok with 6664. Should

So far a few people have commented they already got their AU bonuses even tho many are stressed about Argentina. No one has gotten the 15 uses bonus yet though but I'd imagine we'll find out soon as many, like myself, used it more than 15 times in July.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tassojunior
5721 is not a signup bonus though so it should be ok with 6664. Should

So far a few people have commented they already got their AU bonuses even tho many are stressed about Argentina. No one has gotten the 15 uses bonus yet though but I'd imagine we'll find out soon as many, like myself, used it more than 15 times in July.
In theory, correct.

However I dont know how 5721 would be honored or not due to its now well-known description - for Argentine customers only. I have not read much about the 5721 bonuses already posted for Newly Added AUs. Those who got that were at the initial stage when the Argentine part is not even known by MR folks, and those who already have had their spouses as AU before, got the bonuses. I must have missed it that I have not read posts about 10K posted on 5721 for newly added AUs.

Though I believe anything could happen given how confusing and disorganized AMEX MR could be when it comes to promotions - so many IDs could be manually notated and honored later on versus other banks automatically processing ... We will soon know whether it would work or not.

That is why I really want the 6815 being notated as well - I dont mind to spend $1K to get 10K bonus though for those who have added all 5 AUs on each card, this might not be easy. We only added 2 AUs on 2 cards, so not too difficult to manage the $1K each spend in 3 months from the date the AU is added.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Happy
In theory, correct.

However I dont know how 5721 would be honored or not due to its now well-known description - for Argentine customers only. I have not read much about the 5721 bonuses already posted for Newly Added AUs. Those who got that were at the initial stage when the Argentine part is not even known by MR folks, and those who already have had their spouses as AU before, got the bonuses. I must have missed it that I have not read posts about 10K posted on 5721 for newly added AUs.

Though I believe anything could happen given how confusing and disorganized AMEX MR could be when it comes to promotions - so many IDs could be manually notated and honored later on versus other banks automatically processing ... We will soon know whether it would work or not.

That is why I really want the 6815 being notated as well - I dont mind to spend $1K to get 10K bonus though for those who have added all 5 AUs on each card, this might not be easy. We only added 2 AUs on 2 cards, so not too difficult to manage the $1K each spend in 3 months from the date the AU is added.
Several commenters above had already gotten their 10K AU bonuses. At least one was a new AU and several said they got the bonuses for AU's they had already added in the past.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
yes you are correct. i meant to say you can't have more than one initial signup bonus.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Several commenters above had already gotten their 10K AU bonuses. At least one was a new AU and several said they got the bonuses for AU's they had already added in the past.
Are those being issued before the Argentine targeted offer being emailed to ALL MRs?

I believe the Email team is aware of the 5721 is targeted but the AZ based MR reps are not. (In fact today the MR rep I talked to is North Carolina based - I thought they were all AZ Based). It was like 2 days later the US-based MR phone reps finally were made aware of the nature of 5721.

Until more positive data points posted, I would not feel confident the 5721 bonus would post for those who were able to add it.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:00 pm

I called last Thursday for the 5721 code and 5 AUs were approved. I see their names and account numbers on my account. I guess if I don't receive the 5 cards by Saturday, they probably cancelled my promo code.

I sure hope they don't as many say AMEX MR would not back out of honoring a code already.

Will wait and see.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
F'd Up!

I opened 5 Gold AUs for $45 and then a day after, 3 PLAT AUs for $175 both notated with the 5721 code. I received the 5 initial cards, but the MR made a mistake and sent me Plat cards instead of Gold. After I activated them I automatically saw 5 - $175 charges on my account (BIG YIKES!). I went ahead and made some small charges on all of the cards to complete the first spend requirement. Then I called CS and told them of the issue. They corrected and downgraded the 5 cards down to Gold. She also said that the charges would be reversed. Then, I asked the CS to make sure that the 5721 code is still in there. CS said she'll need to transfer me to MR to find out. Got transferred, I asked the MR the same question regarding 5721 and she said that that's only for Argentine customers. I asked her not to make any changes on the account, but she said that the account was not notated (not sure if she was lying...). Anyway, she said that I was not eligible and that was the end of the conversation.

Anyone else encountered this issue? Should I just call MR again to check my account for 5721? Any help would be appreciated. ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.