Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryanbryan
Note: I created this wikipost using info from the thread. Some of the info may be out of date, so please update the wiki if you have new information.

No airport, and no airport nearby:

Andorra
Pitcairn Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Saint Helena (airport under construction)
Tristan da Cunha (British Overseas Territory)
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Tokelau (New Zealand)

No airport, but airport nearby:

San Marino
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Monaco

Has airport, but unreachable on Miles:

Somalia (Kenya used to fly to Hargeisa but no longer)
Nauru
Tuvalu
Antarctica (some airports but no commercial flights)
Ascension Island (British Overseas Territory)
Greenland
Print Wikipost

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You came to this thread without reading it (by your own admission, you didn't know whether Vatican City had mentioned or not), and now you're ready to tell everyone what should and shouldn't be in this thread?

Post 1 by the OP already mentioned "microcountries" as a category, and with examples. There was no need for you to add one more silly example (that had already been mentioned before). The only purpose that serves is to start a discussion of what "reachable by miles" really means.

And "microcountries" was basically a footnote. If you read post 1, which is the post where the title of thread originated, you can see that the main focus of this thread was that there are plenty of countries with air service but with no way to redeem miles (because the airlines don't belong or partner with miles programs, because of flying restrictions, etc).

And Vatican City was already discussed to death in the first posts after that (on page 1 of this thread). You obviously couldn't be bothered to read that, yet you claim to know what belongs in this thread and doesn't?
Yes.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
With only KQ being the only carrier to fly there within the big three alliances. the Comoros is a close contender. There must be quite a few countries that can only be reached by having miles with one particular alliance.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RonaldRoss
With only KQ being the only carrier to fly there within the big three alliances. the Comoros is a close contender. There must be quite a few countries that can only be reached by having miles with one particular alliance.
And some countries are physically big but without domestic airline competition. So simplifying it to whether multiple alliances fly to somewhere, anywhere in a country may not always help.

In other words, there are some countries where only one city in one corner is reachable by multiple alliances, but only one alliance can take you to the opposite corner of that big country. For example, in Norway, any alliance can get you to Oslo, and nowadays to Bergen (though that's just a recent addition for OW), but further afield most cities are only reachable on *A (due to SAS's dominance there), and some of those cities are so far by surface transport that it's not practical to get to them (from Oslo or even Bergen) without flying.

And since it's not possible (is it?) to combine award flights from multple alliances into one ticket (so that you're "protected"), if you want to fly directly to the other corner of that country (not stopping over in the corner which all the alliances serve), you probably have to do the entire trip on the alliance that gets you to that corner of that country.

... And then there are countries which are reachable with some airline's miles, but no airline in any of the three alliances flies there, and so it may be miles from only a small number of airlines (the non-alliance airline that serves that country and perhaps it's limited non-alliance partners) that can be used to fly there.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:30 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Fiji Airways flies to Tuvalu, but that route is not available using miles for some reason.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Kind of in the same vein as the Greenland discussion: can you reach the Galapagos using miles? Or is mainland Ecuador the closest you can get?

This is one of our bucket list trips, but I recall as of a few years ago the Quito-Galapagos segment had to be bought with cash and was a VERY expensive ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Kind of in the same vein as the Greenland discussion: can you reach the Galapagos using miles? Or is mainland Ecuador the closest you can get?

This is one of our bucket list trips, but I recall as of a few years ago the Quito-Galapagos segment had to be bought with cash and was a VERY expensive ticket.
There are two airports in the Galapagos Islands - SYC & GPC each is served by 2K (Star Alliance), XL (One World), and EQ (Not in any alliance, but has its own FFP).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped

Can Quito-Galapagos not be gotten with LAN kms? (I guess LAN kms is or isn't "miles", depending on how you look at it. ) The thing you need understand is that LAN has variable redemption pricing, and LAN flights are only redeemable with other airline's (OW) miles if LAN has them at the lowest pricing. If LAN has them at higher redemption pricing, you can only redeem with LAN kms, not any other OW currency. (That's sort of similar to how if AA has AAnytime availability but not SAAver, you can't use BA Avios or any other OW currency, only AA miles for that. Except LAN has more levels than just 2, while AA has only 2 levels, SAAver and AAnytime.)

Meanwhile, be aware that you can't redeem LAN kms for one-way nonstop trips, only round trips (and perhaps open jaw trips with at least two legs).

EDITED TO ADD:

This short thread:
confirms exactly what I theorized above: Galapagos flights on LAN are bookable with LAN kms but typically not bookable with other OW FFP currencies.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 26, 2015 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's better than what used to exist then. ^ UIO often has reasonable paid fares (plus is obviously accessible via all sorts of miles), and a new LAN account followed by an SPG conversion could, in theory, get one to the Galapagos at a decent total cost.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Please do share your Cuba con miles method

Pleeeeaaase. Those flights from Miami are way overpriced and since they're charters we don't even earn miles. My guess is that you go through Panama, others have mentioned Avianca's program through Bogota.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Cuba is reachable using United miles on occasion.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
Pleeeeaaase. Those flights from Miami are way overpriced and since they're charters we don't even earn miles. My guess is that you go through Panama, others have mentioned Avianca's program through Bogota.
Cuba is reachable by miles if you're not based in the USA. It's not (legally) reachable by miles if you are based in the USA. Currently, most US citizens are not yet allowed to travel to Cuba unless they fall into some special categories.

AA has announced that it will start commercial flights from LAX (and presumably other cities) to Havana as soon as the US government allows it. (That was a side note in an announcement the other week of LAX-Havana charters that AA is starting in partnership with a Cuba travel package arranger.) So at the very least, AA miles should at some point be usable for travel from the US to Cuba, but it's not known when.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
A somewhat larger place than most on the list. None of the alliance Asian carriers flies to POM.

According to Wikipedia, QantasLink operated by Sunstate Airlines serves it; is that bookable with QF miles or with oneworld miles? It also says that Virgin Australia serves it; not sure if any partner in one of the three alliances is available for redemptions.

(The page also says that TN serves it, but I think that that's out-of-date.)
When I was in Brisbane (BNE) this summer, there were flights on Virgin Australia to Papua New Guinea. Since I am in the US, I cannot sign up for a Virgin Australia account, so I don't know if you could use miles or not.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelTexan
When I was in Brisbane (BNE) this summer, there were flights on Virgin Australia to Papua New Guinea. Since I am in the US, I cannot sign up for a Virgin Australia account, so I don't know if you could use miles or not.
You can use DL miles for VA flights. AFAIK this includes all flights operated by VA but might exclude codeshares, commuter flights operated by affiliated regional carriers, etc.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
POM should be easily reachable with both QF and VA miles. QF is also a partner of Air Niugini, so you can reach POM on an award booking on the QF service from CNS or any Air Niugini services from BNE/SYD.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AA UA CO
I checked on using miles to get to Bratislava, Slovakia, in October. It didn't look feasible on my programs. I took the train from Vienna - only an hour, 16 Euros round trip.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Cuba is reachable by miles if you're not based in the USA. It's not (legally) reachable by miles if you are based in the USA. Currently, most US citizens are not yet allowed to travel to Cuba unless they fall into some special categories.

AA has announced that it will start commercial flights from LAX (and presumably other cities) to Havana as soon as the US government allows it. (That was a side note in an announcement the other week of LAX-Havana charters that AA is starting in partnership with a Cuba travel package arranger.) So at the very least, AA miles should at some point be usable for travel from the US to Cuba, but it's not known when.
Thought I should mention I managed to redeem a Star Alliance redemption ticket through Singapore Airlines Krisflyer from Sao Paulo to Havana via Panama City.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.