Reload this Page >

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryanbryan
Note: I created this wikipost using info from the thread. Some of the info may be out of date, so please update the wiki if you have new information.

No airport, and no airport nearby:

Andorra
Pitcairn Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Saint Helena (airport under construction)
Tristan da Cunha (British Overseas Territory)
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Tokelau (New Zealand)

No airport, but airport nearby:

San Marino
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Monaco

Has airport, but unreachable on Miles:

Somalia (Kenya used to fly to Hargeisa but no longer)
Nauru
Tuvalu
Antarctica (some airports but no commercial flights)
Ascension Island (British Overseas Territory)
Greenland
Print Wikipost

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by KQ321
I can't answer this particular question. However, to update on the original topic of this thread, I understand Garuda now have regular (daily?) flights from Denpasar to Dili. Which presumably means that SkyTeam frequent flyers can now get to Dili on miles...
I just was in Dili and Garuda was not flying to the airport. You can use Singapore Krisflyer miles to fly Silk Air SIN-DIL. I bought a revenue ticket on Sriwijaya Air from DPS-DIL.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
I just was in Dili and Garuda was not flying to the airport. You can use Singapore Krisflyer miles to fly Silk Air SIN-DIL. I bought a revenue ticket on Sriwijaya Air from DPS-DIL.
No you can't. The Silkair flight is chartered as Air Timor and is not available for redemption.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
I would like to travel to Greenland on miles but I think it's still not possible.
Originally Posted by bosboy73
Now, I don't believe the Air Iceland flights from REK "domestic" are available for redemption (and they ain't cheap, especially the ones to Ilulissat!) and I haven't looked into it but not sure if the Air Greenland flights allow redemption opportunities.
NY/FXI does permit redemption of miles earned in its "Saga Club" FF plan for travel from RKV to various points in Greenland.

Originally Posted by uaflr
any ideas for Nauru?
INU is only served by ON/RON; it does not have a FF plan nor does it participate in another airlines' plan.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know if we can redeem AA miles for the QF-codeshare flight on Air North from Darwin to Dili, East Timor?
Air North is a Canadian airline (4N/ANT) . You mean Airnorth (TL/ANO) -- there is no space in the Australian name.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 4, 2015 at 12:24 am
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Naming an airline that flies in the Southern hemisphere identical to an airline that flies in the Arctic, truly brilliant
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not quite a country but now that F9 is dropping service to Wilmington (ILG), Delaware is now the only US state that has no commercial air service.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Since SA flies to Madagascar, why can't you redeem UA miles on SA?

For Swaziland, you can just fly into JNB or another nearby city in ZA and then travel by land to SZ. Although I honestly don't think that there's that much to see in SZ.
For some reason, UA won't let you redeem on the Airlink flight even though it is SA coded.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
San Marino!...but then they don't have an airport haha
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
No, but there is a heliport and as well as a landing strip.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
No, but there is a heliport and as well as a landing strip.
Quick, any helicopter airlines take miles?!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Naming an airline that flies in the Southern hemisphere identical to an airline that flies in the Arctic, truly brilliant
Airnorth because north of Australia
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Neither does Vatican City, does it? But "reachable" does not require landing in it, just landing close enough to it to get there by reasonable land travel.

I'd say FCO (Rome) is close enough to Vatican City, and either FCO or VCE (Venice) or MXP (Milan) is close enough San Marino.

Similarly, Liechtenstein does not have an airport either, but it's easy enough to get to by ground travel after landing at ZRH (Zurich).

And FCO, VCE, MXP, and ZRH are very reachable on miles (of various kinds).
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Live from Mongolia here...was just wondering options using MIAT. I've been on a tour with Russian jeep-van, share taxis, buses, and trains here. A cultural experience but takes a ton of time. It says something on the MIAT site about Air Berlin being a partner, but not on the AB site.

Even with camping a bit Mongolia has been my most expensive country on my year of travel this far. I decided a tour was necessary because otherwise you have to backtrack constantly to UB, buses pretty much only go from regional capitals to the country capital, and only rarely to other cities. It was fun but it would've been good to save some money with miles.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Surinam.

You can fly on KL from AMS but it's silly to fly MIA-AMS-PBM on award tix.

Though on second thought, I'm posting this on Flyertalk
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Indelaware
NY/FXI does permit redemption of miles earned in its "Saga Club" FF plan for travel from RKV to various points in Greenland.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't redeem Saga points to any of the few cities in GRL that NY flies to and they are actually only 5 of such cities/towns, none of which are valid for Saga Club flights. You could, however, use them for other destinations in ISL.
Sadly, there aren't many flying options (I think just 2) into GRL to begin with.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Daichovo
Live from Mongolia here...was just wondering options using MIAT. I've been on a tour with Russian jeep-van, share taxis, buses, and trains here. A cultural experience but takes a ton of time. It says something on the MIAT site about Air Berlin being a partner, but not on the AB site.

Even with camping a bit Mongolia has been my most expensive country on my year of travel this far. I decided a tour was necessary because otherwise you have to backtrack constantly to UB, buses pretty much only go from regional capitals to the country capital, and only rarely to other cities. It was fun but it would've been good to save some money with miles.
Went there two years ago at this time by hitching it up with my regular Asia trip and using Cebu Pacific to get from BKK to ICN via MNL (on what turned out to be the inaugural flight of their first A330) and then KE miles for the all-important ICN-ULN-ICN part. The bulk of the KE miles came from a trip 21 years before, topped off via a credit card from U.S. Bank with slow earning, only 5K introductory but no annual fee. The KE flights were totally full both in and out.

Alas, timeframes allowed only for Naadam and a few days outside that to places like the Tuul Gol, the national park and that big Genghis Khan statue, so I wished I could put together a bloc to see Lake Khusvugol, the far west or the Gobi but missed the opportunity by about 13 years (the time since I could last clear that much time). Good 4 u for getting there when u did...if Air Asia or someone like that were able to operate seasonal service out of BKK, KUL or SIN it'd open a floodgate, just as happened with Angkor, Luang Prabang, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.