Amex rewards points on Air India

Subscribe
Hello,

What is the best way to use Amex reward points to book Air India Business class travel? One of my colleagues brags about flying to India on Business class and I know she uses her Amex platinum card for virtually everything. I once asked her if she uses points for business class travel, and she replied in the affirmative. She didn't have details on how her husband does it though. Can you guys tell me what the best way would be, even if it means waiting for once of those infrequent bonus reward transfer programs.

Appreciate your help.
Not sure why you would brag about going to India ... LOL
I don't know the answer to your question, but, would just say this: if traveling to India in B-class, I'd never choose Air India. If you want an Indian airline, I'd choose Jet, and if you are OK with US airlines, then I'd go with United which does a direct from EWR to both BOM and DEL, or Delta which doesn't have a direct (they used to but took it away -- Boo!) but does connect to both BOM and DEL via AMS.

I've flown Air India from EWR to BOM once. I'll never do it again. My parents have flown in F on Jet and said it held its own to F on Emirates, which is high praise in my mind.
Quote: Not sure why you would brag about going to India ... LOL
I guess he meant bragging about flying business class rather than the destination
Delta has a 50% bonus on transferring AmEx MR points, so you can get a biz class for 80K MR points (120K Delta miles).

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/whic...ways-or-delta/

Quote:
Delta no longer flies nonstop to BOM, but they do have options with via Amsterdam and Paris with KLM and Air France. They also partner with Jet on the JFK-BRU-BOM route, though that availability is scarce (you have to call Delta to check it). Delta will cost 80,000 miles in coach or 120,000 business class.
You have to be super flexible to do this though because Delta has a reputation for not much availability at the lowest mileage tiers.
Quote: I don't know the answer to your question, but, would just say this: if traveling to India in B-class, I'd never choose Air India.
Just so you know...Air India has some excellent deals for Business Class most of the time. I agree that Continental/United is a much better product overall but the usually cheaper pricing on Air India can make it an option worth considering especially if you are paying for the tickets yourself and would just like a comfortable business class seat on the 16 hour trip :-)
Quote: I don't know the answer to your question, but, would just say this: if traveling to India in B-class, I'd never choose Air India. If you want an Indian airline, I'd choose Jet, and if you are OK with US airlines, then I'd go with United which does a direct from EWR to both BOM and DEL, or Delta which doesn't have a direct (they used to but took it away -- Boo!) but does connect to both BOM and DEL via AMS.

I've flown Air India from EWR to BOM once. I'll never do it again. My parents have flown in F on Jet and said it held its own to F on Emirates, which is high praise in my mind.
The only reason I prefer Air India is because I fly from ord - hyd and Air India is most convenient.
Quote: I guess he meant bragging about flying business class rather than the destination
I was talking about business class. Won't comment on the destination, let's just say I go there by choice.
Quote: Delta has a 50% bonus on transferring AmEx MR points, so you can get a biz class for 80K MR points (120K Delta miles).

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/whic...ways-or-delta/

You have to be super flexible to do this though because Delta has a reputation for not much availability at the lowest mileage tiers.
Probably the best reply so far. Thanks for the useful Info. I will wait it out till Sep 30 and If I don't find something better, I will go with this option.
Quote: Just so you know...Air India has some excellent deals for Business Class most of the time. I agree that Continental/United is a much better product overall but the usually cheaper pricing on Air India can make it an option worth considering especially if you are paying for the tickets yourself and would just like a comfortable business class seat on the 16 hour trip :-)
Thanks for the info. I would never pay for a business class ticket. I am 28, I would rather put the extra money into my retirement fund and fly first class then at 50.
Read some of the reports here OP, you might change your mind about AI:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...l#post16840671
Quote: I was talking about business class. Won't comment on the destination, let's just say I go there by choice.
That is exactly what i was trying to tell our fellow FT poster - that you meant your coworker bragged about flying business class.
Depending on whether you are from there or not - it is one fine destination in my opinion
Tx MR to Kris Flyer and then redeem on air india?
Quote: That is exactly what i was trying to tell our fellow FT poster - that you meant your coworker bragged about flying business class.
Depending on whether you are from there or not - it is one fine destination in my opinion
Yes and I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with our Fellow FT poster ^
Quote: Tx MR to Kris Flyer and then redeem on air india?
I wish, I could do that. Singapore Airlines is the best of the best. I live in Chicago, it makes more sense for me to travel east to India, instead of west. Also SA doesn't operate in ORD.