Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
My blog is definitely not the most useful blog! I think onemileatatime is the most useful for booking advice. Otherwise I just go to google!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:56 pm

this is one of the most painful threads to read.

i hope future bloggers don't use this thread as a basis of how they should approach their blogs.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by DavidSkaggs
this is one of the most painful threads to read.

i hope future bloggers don't use this thread as a basis of how they should approach their blogs.
Of course they won't. They will continue to use the approach that garners them the most $$$$ the quickest.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Check First2Board new aggregate blog site!
Interesting development: two bloggers seem to be about to jump ship from the leading aggregator.

Had some lengthy email and bb exchanges last night. My gut feeling tells me its 2006-07 all over again, this time in the blogosphere.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Interesting development: two bloggers seem to be about to jump ship from the leading aggregator.

Had some lengthy email and bb exchanges last night. My gut feeling tells me its 2006-07 all over again, this time in the blogosphere.
I was oblivious to the FF world at the time - what happened in 2006-2007?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I find FTG to be irritatingly hard to read, so I rarely bother stopping there.

Generally I think TPG does a reasonable job of consolidation of whats going on in the various programs I participate in, plus he's spend time/money to present his stuff in a reasonable manner so you arent clawing over thousands of crappy links in every story.

Still doesnt beat coming here to the forums, as FT and other forums, provide near instantaneous to deals prior to many of the blogs picking them up and the deals going kaput.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I was oblivious to the FF world at the time - what happened in 2006-2007?
Ventures with lot of cash purchased assets they believed to be the key to web 2.0 success, at the time these were BBs that always popped up at the top of google searches.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
plus he's spend time/money to present his stuff in a reasonable manner so you arent clawing over thousands of crappy links in every story.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/12/my-r...-credit-cards/
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:12 pm

I would say it isnt an easy task collecting and linking to the best stories out there that are relevant to earning points and miles. Lots of fluff and tons of stories with filler and CC links. I would like to see more people blogging about real strategies/insight instead of repeating the same 2-3 themes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
I would say it isnt an easy task collecting and linking to the best stories out there that are relevant to earning points and miles. Lots of fluff and tons of stories with filler and CC links. I would like to see more people blogging about real strategies/insight instead of repeating the same 2-3 themes.
I have been trying to advocate for this for quite some time. If it's not new information, simply link to where that information exists. This is why FT is great...consolidation. This needs to happen more in the blogging world where possible.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
Cool

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
LoyaltyLobby seems to be above all this bickering and is the one I trust most for unbiased info and no shameless plugs of credit cards. While the other bloggers don't always credit them, LoyaltyLobby has broken many stories. LL could use a proofreader though.

My award for the least useful is deltapoints.
Totally agree about John from Loyalty Lobby and ill add one more who does not post every day and has good content , Jared from OTR and Wandering Aramean.

Last edited by pilotb757; Feb 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by pilotb757
Totally agree about John from Loyalty Lobby and ill add one more who does not post every day and has good content , Jared from OTR
Wandering Aramean doesn't really participate in the konga lines of hat tips, and certainly doesn't pimp CC's. Also has very useful tools

Probably has done more the help out the FF community than anyone in the past few years except Frequent Miler
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by oliver2002

This is very interesting, especially since the leading aggregator has very high Alexa rankings.
Alexa Traffic Rank: 18,011 United States Flag Traffic Rank in US: 4,623
link-icon Sites Linking In: 2,018
The About Me page of the new aggregator doesn't say who is behind it, does anyone know?

By contrast this is Flyertalk's Alexa ranking.
Alexa Traffic Rank: 6,305 United States Flag Traffic Rank in US: 2,498
link-icon Sites Linking In: 3,452
So these two bloggers are basically starting fresh and trying to build new rankings.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I personally do not see any cooking utensils...

...but the difference is that FlyerTalk is an Internet community bulletin board where members share their thoughts; whereas a weblog is usually written by one or more authors who post information — including but not limited to news and opinions — on topics which readers may comment.

Content is usually censored when a FlyerTalk member alerts the appropriate moderators of content not conforming to the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk.

I do not believe that FlyerTalk is “completely censored top to bottom” — but what do I know? However, if you do have an issue with censorship on FlyerTalk, you are more than welcome to address your issue via private message to either a moderator or SanDiego1K, who is the community director of FlyerTalk.
I have no issues with censoring profanity as long as the rest of the post is kept intact and maybe just replace the word with $%#& so people knew what the person was originally saying-if that makes sense.

The one thing that really annoys me on FT generically is when threads get closed. Some mods forget that there are people in all time zones here and if a thread is going in a way they don't like in the US time zones, they lock it so when Aussies and Asians wake up, there could have been an interesting discussion that we can't participate in.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I personally do not see any cooking utensils...

...but the difference is that FlyerTalk is an Internet community bulletin board where members share their thoughts; whereas a weblog is usually written by one or more authors who post information — including but not limited to news and opinions — on topics which readers may comment.

Content is usually censored when a FlyerTalk member alerts the appropriate moderators of content not conforming to the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk.

I do not believe that FlyerTalk is “completely censored top to bottom” — but what do I know? However, if you do have an issue with censorship on FlyerTalk, you are more than welcome to address your issue via private message to either a moderator or SanDiego1K, who is the community director of FlyerTalk.
I live with the censorship that FT implements. But it is inherent in every area. I cannot make personal attacks, even if worded politely. They will be removed by a moderator. You seem to be arguing it's ok to do this though on a blog against the author, as long as there is no profanity involved. I see a pot and black kettle right there.

Secondly you can't question a moderator's action here. Well that is the ultimate trump card. Some blog authors take this approach - Delta Points springs to mind. At least he's open and honest about it, but I prefer fully open dialog, where only obvious spam and stupid stuff like "your mom is an xyz" content is removed. But the fact is here a moderator can take an action such as closing an entire thread or removing posts and you are basically not even allowed to discuss it. More pots and kettles here.

And I just don't buy the distinction on FT being a community. Heck it's the same community members that post comments on the blog. And MilePoint lives just fine without any moderation (as do many other huge online communities). I think there are arguments for and against moderation of forums, I prefer not to have it but can live with it, so this is not an argument for or against moderation. But I do not buy that someone can say hey it's ok to moderate my forums over here, but you over there on your blog, you have to let everyone take a crack at you. That attitude generally stems from folks who do not like what the guy on the blog over there is saying. And that is where it turns to real censorship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.