Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Which led to my second point -- if getting $10k spend is difficult (on a card like the Ink which is a great card to spend on for otherwise non-CC expenses), then why not mention the Ink Plus, where you can spread that $10k out over an extra 3-month buffer?
I don't know. May it be that it slipped his mind at the moment he was writing that? Come on, you can't deny that MMS always and unfailingly tells you when his affiliate offers are worse than the same links floating around. I even find it a bit funny sometimes because those warnings are all over the place. Blasting him for one slip even if you can call it that is simply not fair.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
If anyone ever decides to add these cc links, read this and the associated comments if you haven't:

http://crankyflier.com/2012/07/06/yo...a-credit-card/

Seems like there is a minimum clicks/apps requirement?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnscout
Blasting him for one slip even if you can call it that is simply not fair.
I pointed that one post out (to add to the conversation of how another blogger did something similar) and was then accused of libel and defamation. Those are big words to throw around as well. If anyone accuses me of being a liar, I'll defend my word.

And like someone mentioned, when referral links are now your main income stream, the way you present some information may change. I've defended MMS in the past for always being honest and straightforward with links, but those were in the earlier days of the blog.

*Anchorman* "That escalated quickly."

I'm taking a break from this thread. Have a Merry Christmas and may your Ink Bold sign-ups be fruitful.

Last edited by amolkold; Dec 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
What is unethical about free one-ways?
Answer: No way to complain about free one ways.

But give me a minute.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
I pointed that one post out (to add to the conversation of how another blogger did something similar) and was then accused of libel and defamation. Those are big words to throw around as well. If anyone accuses me of being a liar, I'll defend my word.

And like someone mentioned, when referral links are now your main income stream, the way you present some information may change. I've defended MMS in the past for always being honest and straightforward with links, but those were in the earlier days of the blog.

*Anchorman* "That escalated quickly."

I'm taking a break from this thread. Have a Merry Christmas and may your Ink Bold sign-ups be fruitful.
Yeah it's about time. Merry Christmas to you and EVERYBODY:-:
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
What is unethical about free one-ways?
To get a free one-way on US you need to add a segment you don't plan to fly. The segments you plan to fly technically violate the award rules, but you can trick it to make it work assuming you don't check your bags. I didn't say it was unethical, just that it pushes boundaries, similar to applying for an expired citi AA or the US chairman's offer. You don't technically qualify, but you can trick it to make it work. With the free one-way you're even taking award space out of inventory for the segment you don't plan to fly.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by HikerT
To get a free one-way on US you need to add a segment you don't plan to fly. The segments you plan to fly technically violate the award rules, but you can trick it to make it work assuming you don't check your bags. I didn't say it was unethical, just that it pushes boundaries, similar to applying for an expired citi AA or the US chairman's offer. You don't technically qualify, but you can trick it to make it work. With the free one-way you're even taking award space out of inventory for the segment you don't plan to fly.
This is the part I don't like. It's hard enough to get award space on some airlines as it is, we don't need people just wasting them. It reminds me of the people who book 20 Pointbreaks nights when they don't know what date they want, then cancel the ones they don't want but it shuts others out of booking the nights. At the very least, it's selfish.

I know I am in the minority, but as an expat American, I can't make the minimum spend as easily as Statesiders. I can't just walk into a drugstore and buy VRs for example so minimum spends are a huge issue for me. Also, I may have issues with forex fees unless I am planning to buy something in USD like a cruise or prepaid hotels. I do want to know about various options such as on the Citibank AA cards thread.

I wish someone would start a blog for expats!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
This is the part I don't like. It's hard enough to get award space on some airlines as it is, we don't need people just wasting them. It reminds me of the people who book 20 Pointbreaks nights when they don't know what date they want, then cancel the ones they don't want but it shuts others out of booking the nights. At the very least, it's selfish.

I know I am in the minority, but as an expat American, I can't make the minimum spend as easily as Statesiders. I can't just walk into a drugstore and buy VRs for example so minimum spends are a huge issue for me. Also, I may have issues with forex fees unless I am planning to buy something in USD like a cruise or prepaid hotels. I do want to know about various options such as on the Citibank AA cards thread.

I wish someone would start a blog for expats!
This is exactly how I feel in NYC.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
To get a free one-way on US you need to add a segment you don't plan to fly. The segments you plan to fly technically violate the award rules, but you can trick it to make it work assuming you don't check your bags. You don't technically qualify, but you can trick it to make it work. With the free one-way you're even taking award space out of inventory for the segment you don't plan to fly.
I can't comment on the larger implications of this . . but in my case I received a free one-way on UA to a destination I visit annually and would have made the trip regardless. And not sure what you mean by "but you can trick it to make it work assuming you don't check your bags" as my one-way was several months after the original booking to Europe that included the one-way F leg. Maybe there's a difference regarding specific airlines?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:34 pm

Yes, it varies by airline program. See here for US awards:

http://milevalue.com/master-thread-f...irways-awards/
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:57 am

i've found FTG and TPG not very useful these days.

For example, TPG staff posts about how he bought $20,00 Vanillas in one day. Yikes. http://thepointsguy.com/2012/12/maxi...t-card-to-use/
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:21 am

LOL ^^

Originally Posted by Jason Steele
Actually, fraud killed VR at OD. At least that is what the manager at my OD told me. He was very happy to have my business, but recounted that other ODs in the area had people purchasing VRs with stolen credit cards. Apparently, when cashiers failed to check ID, they had to bear some of the liability, and eat some losses, which was painful.
Well since his manager said that, it must be true. Y'all need to stop pestering the bloggers.

I tried to see the join date of a few bloggers who are all about CC and affiliate links, and most seem to have a join date of 2011/2012. I was away from FT for a while but I missed what got them started recently. Most seem to have redeemed millions of miles !!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
If fraud is what shut down the OD/VR thing, why weren't VRs pulled from ALL stores? Why only ODs?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:45 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My personal strategy on all of this is to only read blogs via an RSS reader like Google Reader. It's literally the TIVO of blog reading. You can aggregate all the top blogs under a single folder, making it easy to scan the headlines for (frequent) duplicates. It also strips out a lot of the ads and bloated page layout leaving just the content.

As for the previous 28 pages, perhaps the posters should stop reading the blogs if they're so offensive. Or start their own, affiliate-free ones. This reminds me of people complaining that the free, high-definition broadcast tv beamed into their homes has commercials.

Last edited by mia; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:41 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:28 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
My personal strategy on all of this is to only read blogs via an RSS reader like Google Reader. It's literally the TIVO of blog reading. You can aggregate all the top blogs under a single folder, making it easy to scan the headlines for (frequent) duplicates. It also strips out a lot of the ads and bloated page layout leaving just the content.
That's how I do it, and I'm a blogger!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.