Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
Thanks!
Yeah - you definitely push the envelope (I mean that in the best way), but, more importantly, you've got original content there.

I'm definitely enjoying your blog.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
"Foreign" i.e. German or European frequent flyer blog.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, does it seem like Hyatt perused this thread looking for ways to spread their message?

I think there have now been three blogs listed here to give away Hyatt points.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
Yeah - you definitely push the envelope (I mean that in the best way), but, more importantly, you've got original content there.

I'm definitely enjoying your blog.
+1 - and most importantly, when something doesn't work, frequentmiler tells us about the failure (and perhaps how to do it better next time.) Well done Mr. Miler ^
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:18 pm

Quality trip reports w/ quality photos over at Live from a Lounge

Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:40 pm

Ditto here!

Originally Posted by crescidp
#1 The Points Guy - I find his blog to be the most useful, whether its cheap flights, mile promotions or credit card reviews. He focuses a lot on tutorials for maximizing redemption of your miles and understanding the pros/cons of each program.

#2 Loyalty Traveler - Great for hotel programs.

#3 The Frugal Travel Guy - Best resource for credit cards.

#4 One Mile At a Time (Travel Sort Blog) - I find trip reviews less useful, so I prefer his postings on TravelSort which are more focused on comparisons between programs and tutorials.

#5 Million Mile Secrets - I just started reading this blog and have found it very helpful for tips and tricks related to acquiring points and miles.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by daiseee
+1 - and most importantly, when something doesn't work, frequentmiler tells us about the failure (and perhaps how to do it better next time.) Well done Mr. Miler ^
Gee, thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:45 pm

Enjoy the limelight. Another misstep and you'll be thrown to the wolves.

Edited to add: I've gone out of my way to give frequentmiler every credit card referral I can since the referral backpedal. ^

Last edited by HikerT; Feb 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Enjoy the limelight. Another misstep and you'll be thrown to the wolves.

Edited to add: I've gone out of my way to give frequentmiler every credit card referral I can since the referral backpedal. ^
^
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: All of em...
Are we allowed to suggest our own site for people to read? - www.TravelandCredit.com

It's newer (3 months), & I won't suggest it as "the must useful frequent flyer blog", but if you're a desk job person and you want to vicariously live through someone who does those wild & "scary" things on his travels that only "Crazy people" do, and also follow someone who tours in a band for a living, while still reading about the top offers for miles, and my breakdown of promotions, then you will enjoy my site

It's just me, being me.

Some of the posts in the sites current age is geared a little more towards beginners b/c that's where all of my friends/family are at. You will find topics in the future about how to maximize miles earned for booking a lot of group travel, since I book all of the flights for our band's foreign tours (5-9 people), traveling solo, adventure travel, life on the road in a band, etc...

& for the record, I don't have issues with referral links (not that I have any), as long as they promote whatever card is the absolute best offer.

Other than that, I read just about every site listed in this forum, party on!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:37 pm

My top travel blogs:

thepointsguy (always answers questions via email)
millionmilesecrets (very clear, never holds back when others do)
frequentmiler (love his ideas on getting the most out of Shopping Portals)
dansdeals (tremendous wealth of info. lots of times has on his blog what others don't)

These people have feelings as another FT'er pointed out. Try to limit the badmouthing and insensitivity and focus on the positive aspects of their blogs.
If you don't have something good to say, it is better to not say anything at all!

And yes, I am promoting my blog--- so shoot me!

DealsSeeker
www.dealsseeker.blogspot.com
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:55 pm

Well, I'm offically done with Delta Points. The censoring of comments is just ridiculous. Point in case, I emailed him asking why he deleted my follow up comment to his assertion that applying for two DL 30K offers was "100% better value" than applying for today's 75K offer from AMEX.

Hey, just curious, why did you remove my comment that it would be better value to apply for the 75K offer and wait for better DL offers? I really do think it's sub optimal advice to encourage noobs to sign up for those 30K offers. What's the rush for anyone to do that when we saw 45K-50K DL offers in December?
His reply was to was to read this:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltapoints/aboutme/

So just be aware that what you read on that blog is highly controlled and censored.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: A few
Well, I'm offically done with Delta Points. The censoring of comments is just ridiculous. Point in case, I emailed him asking why he deleted my follow up comment to his assertion that applying for two DL 30K offers was "100% better value" than applying for today's 75K offer from AMEX.

His reply was to was to read this:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltapoints/aboutme/

So just be aware that what you read on that blog is highly controlled and censored.
And to quote his blog:

I will and do censor reader comments. I will decide and have the final say as to what appears in the blog. I will not add any words to any comments from readers but I may take things away as I see fit. I will not tolerate any abusive language, hate speech or attacks on me or the blog or any other readers. I do not allow spam or other advertising in comments or in the web site field of the comment section. If you have nothing positive to add and just want to gripe then there are other places on the web for that or you can start your own blog. – René

I have removed him from my google reader. Frankly never mind this he just posts factual trash, like his recent mumbo jumbo about Amex MR converting to SPG at 1:1 which he quickly retracted presumably as people called him out on it. If a blogger doesn't know basic facts like that, they should not be in the blogging business. I'm sure he's a nice guy but it's like me blogging about golf or asian tigers, i know very little about either. I am surprised boardingarea tolerates the low quality Oh and the credit card pimping is bad too, probably worse than some of the others on ba who are bad to begin with. i remember when citi pulled affiliate links on the 50k typ offer he declared the deal "dead" and closed the post to comments. one can only assume he full well knew the deal was not dead, just his comish was dead
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I am surprised boardingarea tolerates the low quality
Yes, sadly there is no way on boardingarea to filter out certain bloggers. Some of them border on clueless (I'd add UnRoadWarrior to that list). I guess I just may have to break down and resort to RSS feeds or google reader.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:25 pm

BoardingArea really needs to rethink their standards... bring it back to when it was just Gary, Ben, MJ, Dan and a couple of other quality ones.

Some of the bloggers also pour it on a bit thick when it comes to some of the issues- like overcomplicating what really should be a very simple concept. I'm not trying to single anyone out, but does one really need a 27-part series on how to book one award- including articles on how to use the award search engine! It's one thing to tell people genuine award searching tips, such as which routes have the best availability, routing rules, etc... but, sometimes the bloggers really overdo it.

RE: credit card referrals... They make or break a blog, and really, please don't insult us and tell us ThankYou points, Southwest Rapid Rewards miles or Hawaiian Airlines miles are the next best thing and we're all suffering from not getting the pleasure of free flights from Tulsa to Wichita in coach...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.