Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer AMEX to Delta or BA???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Yes.
Transfer AMEX to Delta or BA???

So I just confirmed the 100k amex points from platinum card. The question is where should I transfer them? We plan to use miles for our honeymoon next summer (August). We are currently thinking of Bali or Tahiti. Other than that, we mostly fly domestic with 1-2 international trips per year (South America, Caribbean, Europe) We are in San Diego and Asia's in the future lineup if that helps.

I currently have:
100k BA points from Chase
300k AA from dual Citi cards (fiance and me)

Thank you for any advice/thoughts.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by econjon
So I just confirmed the 100k amex points from platinum card. The question is where should I transfer them? We plan to use miles for our honeymoon next summer (August). We are currently thinking of Bali or Tahiti. Other than that, we mostly fly domestic with 1-2 international trips per year (South America, Caribbean, Europe) We are in San Diego and Asia's in the future lineup if that helps.

I currently have:
100k BA points from Chase
300k AA from dual Citi cards (fiance and me)

Thank you for any advice/thoughts.
I'd transfer them to BA ; DL skypesos are limited to where you want to go and with BA, you could fly CX to Bali in F or J..with a stop-over in HKG if you want......at least, thats what I would do
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It seems that is the consensus on the forum (via searching) but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, SPG PL
Thanks for the advice. It seems that is the consensus on the forum (via searching) but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.
and oneworld has way better airlines in Asia than skyworld. no brainer.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
It's also cheaper to redeem BA miles to fly on CX to Asia. In addition, award availability is generous on CX. DL is ridiculously stingy. See my signature below.

- Pat
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
It's also cheaper to redeem BA miles to fly on CX to Asia. In addition, award availability is generous on CX. DL is ridiculously stingy. - Pat

I always thought BA had very high fuel surcharges compare to other airlines when redeeming miles for travel. I didn't know DL actually higher fees overall to Asia.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Since you already own 400K miles of BA and AA, I would transfer those points to Delta for some diversification.

With Delta miles, your options for Honeymoon destinations may expand...
Check out this article on thepointsguy.com

I like the idea of a Paris / Seychelles honeymoon, which we're looking to get for ourselves in 2013.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrluis
Since you already own 400K miles of BA and AA, I would transfer those points to Delta for some diversification.

With Delta miles, your options for Honeymoon destinations may expand...
Check out this article on thepointsguy.com

I like the idea of a Paris / Seychelles honeymoon, which we're looking to get for ourselves in 2013.
Thx Irluis for the idea. That was a fun post, but I don't think that we would have enough points to do something like that on delta in time for next summer. That is, 150k would only get 1 of us on that type of itn. I don't want to think how much it would cost in $$ to replicate!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:57 pm

Thx Irluis for the idea. That was a fun post, but I don't think that we would have enough points to do something like that on delta in time for next summer. That is, 150k would only get 1 of us on that type of itn. I don't want to think how much it would cost in $$ to replicate!
Since you're interested in going to Tahiti you might want to check out this article as well at Viewfromthewing.com

You'd have the same problem with miles shortage but if you did it in coach, you'd only have to come up with an additional 50k DL miles.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
If you fly Coach, it would be 160K for the both of you, which means that you'd only be one credit card (Delta AMEX) application away ...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: All of em...
While the DL & BA 50% transfer bonuses are strong, don't forget you could transfer 100k AMEX MR to Hilton and get 150k Hilton points and use that for your stay on the trip as well.
Just a thought.

Personally, I would transfer to to an airline, but if you don't have your hotels covered, then you should consider some of those options if they have hotels where you're staying.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
i would say ba , delta has promos come and go all the time
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Is the Delta 50% transfer bonus still active? The last link I saw expired May 31, and I don't see it offered on their "partner programs" page on the Delta site anymore. Maybe I'm overlooking something...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by freezone
I always thought BA had very high fuel surcharges compare to other airlines when redeeming miles for travel. I didn't know DL actually higher fees overall to Asia.
Yes, BA has absurdly high fuel surcharges. However, when you redeem the miles on CX, you only pay $50-$100 of fuel surcharges each way.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Is the Delta 50% transfer bonus still active? The last link I saw expired May 31, and I don't see it offered on their "partner programs" page on the Delta site anymore. Maybe I'm overlooking something...

If I remember correctly the Delta deal expires end of Sept 2011 (unless they change the date).

The one thing I don't like BA or AA is for transatlantic flights where they soak you with very high fees and fuel charges. Just wondering if Delta (or their partners have similar high fuel charges or are they free)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.