Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by opus2002
Just how did you check the availability for partner awards?
You can check on aa.com or dl.com
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
You can check on aa.com or dl.com
I actually searched on alaskaair.com and several AA, DL results came up automatically (looked for JFK to several destinations in the November/December time frame)
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I've been a member of Alaska's Mileage Plan program for over 10 years and have booked a few rewards with them. Availability is decent, although nowadays if you want to book something closer to the actual flight date, your chances are much slimmer. Two years ago I booked R/T tickets on Delta through them for 25K a piece on very short notice. The Alaska CSR's are excellent and welcoming.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by dovergator
The Alaska CSR's are excellent and welcoming.
Used them only once, but found her very flexible.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:20 am

It looks to me as though you have to wait a year for the $99 companion voucher. Does anyone else have experience with that? In other words, you likely have to pay two annual fees to get the voucher. I'm assuming that the companion voucher works like the barclays one and you need to actually put the trip on the card to make the voucher work, so you'd need to still have the card and be paying the annual fee the second year.

Any experience or details much appreciated -- For 40k miles plus the $99 voucher for one annual fee, this would be a no brainer for me.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
It looks to me as though you have to wait a year for the $99 companion voucher. Does anyone else have experience with that? In other words, you likely have to pay two annual fees to get the voucher. I'm assuming that the companion voucher works like the barclays one and you need to actually put the trip on the card to make the voucher work, so you'd need to still have the card and be paying the annual fee the second year.

Any experience or details much appreciated -- For 40k miles plus the $99 voucher for one annual fee, this would be a no brainer for me.
You get the $99 companion ticket upon approval. Then on each anniversary, you receive an additional $99 companion ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:26 am

Yes, 1 at issue and 1 at renewal. You keep the latter even if you cancel and don't pay the fee at renewal. My biggest issue with this card (as I said earlier) is they pulled both Experian and Equifax when I applied last year. Not very inquiry friendly.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by HikerT
Yes, 1 at issue and 1 at renewal. You keep the latter even if you cancel and don't pay the fee at renewal.
That's awesome. Thanks very much. But don't you have to use the card to pay for the airfare if you use the voucher? I thought that was somewhere in the terms.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum and lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Got it!

15,000 limit. Will report what agencies ( and how many) they pulled from.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:45 am

No, you don't need to keep the card after renewal to book the second companion ticket. It just goes in your Alaska FF account. It's transferable to anyone (as long as you book it), valid for all fares, classes, and flights operated by Alaska. You get 3x miles plus 1000 bonus miles for using the card to purchase tickets (your companion also gets 1000 bonus miles if you use the card). Since I applied for both business and personal last year (4 hard pulls, ugh), I kept the business (willing to pay $75 for the annual companion ticket and the bonus miles which are 6K for a first class companion fare). We use the companion tickets for first class travel to Mexico and Hawaii for ~$700 / person all in.

Last edited by HikerT; Jun 17, 2011 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:07 am

No, you don't need to keep the card after renewal to book the second companion ticket. It just goes in your Alaska FF account. It's transferable to anyone (as long as you book it), valid for all fares, classes, and flights operated by Alaska. You get 3x miles plus 1000 bonus miles for using the card to purchase tickets (your companion also gets 1000 bonus miles if you use the card). Since I applied for both business and personal last year (4 hard pulls, ugh), I kept the business (willing to pay $75 for the annual companion ticket and the bonus miles which are 6K for a first class companion fare). We use the companion tickets for first class travel to Mexico and Hawaii for ~$700 / person all in.
Great info. Thanks much.

Edit: Approved! Not sure which card though. I assume it's for the 40k.

Last edited by lkar; Jun 17, 2011 at 11:55 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:33 am

Really a great card! I wish BOA wont pull Experian in Massachusetts. Can anybody confirm it?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by xp0
I just read on the Alaska website that their companion vouchers can not be used on reward tickets ... That is too bad. I was hoping this was similar to the BA companion vouchers.

This holds true when booking on partner airlines, correct?
You cannot use the AS companion ticket on partner airlines, just on Alaska and Horizon metal.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:09 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
You cannot use the AS companion ticket on partner airlines, just on Alaska and Horizon metal.
Thank you for that.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Yes, 1 at issue and 1 at renewal. You keep the latter even if you cancel and don't pay the fee at renewal. My biggest issue with this card (as I said earlier) is they pulled both Experian and Equifax when I applied last year. Not very inquiry friendly.
When I applied for a new Alaska Visa Sig. in October, they only pulled one credit report - Equifax. I applied for the Alaska biz 3 months ago and again they only pulled one - Experian this time. Maybe it's a YMMV?

But, even if they pull more then one report, it's a great card the $99 companion ticket alone is worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.