Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

700K+ Miles Earned in 7 weeks. Should I cool it a bit?

700K+ Miles Earned in 7 weeks. Should I cool it a bit?

Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MJLouise
If his mom agrees, she can always book a ticket for him with her account. Other than BA I don't know anyway of combining airline accounts.

I really wish my DH would apply or let me apply for these offers for him. Stubborn man :sigh:
Did you fly free in business / first class? Or stay in good hotels for free?

May be once he has experienced such goodies then he would join in. He needs proof that this is a very worthwhile pursuit.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
I've studied credit cards and credit score before and I know that many time, each credit app will drop a few points off of my score. However, 2-3 months later it all goes back up. I may also be closing a few cards soon, so that MAY help in respect that CC companies will see less risk in me.

just checked my credit score..... Experian dropped 740 to 719 and Equafax 762 to 732. No big deal.

I do see however that Chase and Amex hit the same thing .... Experian while CITI hits Equafax. So lat time they did this was on 4/21. You guys think it's been enough time to apply for CITI Amex biz card??
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:37 am

Canceling a credit card or lowering your credit limit actually makes you LESS credit worthy. The MORE available credit you have the MORE credit worthy you are. Think of it this way, if I'm issuing you credit, I'd much rather you to have the ability to tap other credit lines if you run into dire straits, because it allows you to screw someone else, which is better than you only being able to screw me. Similarly, if someone else has given you a lot of credit, as a credit issuer I'd view that as a vote of confidence (unless you're carrying a large balance that utilizes a lot of your credit line), and vice-versa if you've been issued low credit limits, had credit lines reduced, or are maxed out on those credit lines. I would advise you to only cancel a credit card to avoid an annual fee at renewal or to reset the clock for a churn. It doesn't really make sense to cancel a card to free up credit lines before re-applying because it just makes you look less credit worthy. An issuer will lower your credit lines on the cards you already have, and if they don't you can ask them to do so when you call for reconsideration.

You didn't say what your score and inquiries were for transunion. If you don't have any inquiries on transunion then I'd try for the 35K US Airways Barclays card. Your scores are not spectacular to be honest, so I wouldn't go too crazy unless you see a really good offer. The 35K is a good offer for Barclays (45K if you count the 10K bonus if you pay the annual fee at renewal, for comparison to cards with a first year annual fee).

Last edited by HikerT; Jun 4, 2011 at 10:43 am
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Igor718
Amex gold for mom = 75K (if use 50% bonus on BA = 112K)
Amex gold Business = 75K (if use 50% bonus on BA = 112K)
What is the 50% BA transfer bonus??? Is this publicized anywhere?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by drags87
What is the 50% BA transfer bonus??? Is this publicized anywhere?
Never mind, I found it: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...xecutive-club/

Can't believe I missed this! Great news!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:24 am

How do you know how many inquiries are to many. In what time frame?
I just looked at my report from all three bureaus. It shows new accts from 2009 til now.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by boyznme
How do you know how many inquiries are to many. In what time frame?
I just looked at my report from all three bureaus. It shows new accts from 2009 til now.
Your credit report will show all inquiries for the last 2 years. Most lenders like to see not more than 6 inquiries within 6 months. So having 10 inquiries in 6 months on, say, your Experian report would be a cause for denial.

But if you have only 4 inquiries on your Equifax report, you will get approved by a lender who looks at only your Equifax report.

Monitor your inquiries and see what number of inquiries causes you to be denied for a card.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:54 am

Some may balk at 3+. Unfortunately, there is not one rule for any given issuer and the formula might vary with other factors. There could be a different threshold depending on how well you score in other areas. The don't just use the scoring model of the credit bureau they pull.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by HikerT
Some may balk at 3+. Unfortunately, there is not one rule for any given issuer and the formula might vary with other factors. There could be a different threshold depending on how well you score in other areas. The don't just use the scoring model of the credit bureau they pull.
You're right, that "some" may balk at 3.

However, in my experience with Chase, Citi, Amex, Barclays, and BOA the limit is usually 6 hard inquiries per 6 months - and these are the major players in the credit card bonus game!

Ric from Frugal Travel Guy also suggests not more than 6 hard inquiries.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Im pretty sure I threw that one away... Remember getting those letters from them...
Mother f-ing idiot.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
However, in my experience with Chase, Citi, Amex, Barclays, and BOA the limit is usually 6 hard inquiries per 6 months - and these are the major players in the credit card bonus game!
For airline, hotel, etc. based cards that doesn't surprise me as issuers seem more generous with approvals, particularly when there's an annual fee involved. I have more experience with app-o-ramas back in the day to arbitrage 0% no fee balance transfers.

Ric from Frugal Travel Guy also suggests not more than 6 hard inquiries.
Rick has has a good blog for newcomers but I'm not that impressed with his expertise. About a year ago I asked his advice on signing up for multiple AA citi cards and he just said "who knows, give it a try". Someone who knew their stuff would have recommended to do the 2 personal, then 1 business later. Lesson learned and it cost me a lot of miles. TPG's blog is more useful IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Im pretty sure I threw that one away... Remember getting those letters from them...
Mother f-ing idiot.
Threw which one away? If you're referring to the barclays card sounds like you got rejected or the lower card? If they hit transunion and few other issuers hit transunion the inquiry didn't cost you much if anything, not much to lose, particularly for a no first year fee card. Buy a pack of gum and take a transunion inquiry for 35K miles, I'll do that all day long.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:07 pm

I never stop being amazed how lucky you USA-guys are by getting all these creditcard promotions. In Sweden, I have got 20k BA miles during a 2 year period, and thats it.

On the other hand, my government still allows me to play online poker.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
Originally Posted by Igor718
So lat time they did this was on 4/21. You guys think it's been enough time to apply for CITI Amex biz card??
No. You should wait at least 60 days. Following the 75k AA thread I did the wait 65 day recommendation and it worked for me. Less than 60 days you run the risk of a denial for "too many inquires for credit" (with them) and then you'll be waiting another 60+ days. Citi isn't as flexible as Chase is.

You may get lucky but why risk it? Wait another few weeks and you'll be golden.

I also think they only have a Visa business card, not that it matters much, the 75k miles are what matters. (BTW the link for the $1500 spend on Visa biz worked for me, my 75k miles posted today. ^)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by eastbiz
Use creditkarma.com to see what it does with your score and make decission based on that.
The most badass credit score that you can get get is from www.myfico.com

FICO's proprietary formula is the most well known in the industry, and more closely mirrors what the banks use to determine your creditworthiness. Be aware though, every individual bank has slightly different criteria when it comes to what they consider credit "worthy" and will tweak any assessment for special interest areas of specific concern to them.

In general, however, with what you have posted so far, your score will be affected significantly if all those inquiries are with the same bureau (not every creditor pulls all three at once) or if you apply for credit where somebody decides to run all three reports and discovers all your inquiries. IMO, your biggest potential issue is applying for a mortgage anytime in the next 2 years, as you will lose out on the lowest interest brackets for sure.

I do my apps in 2 year spurts because of that. I go on an app spree when I start browsing sites like FT and fatwallet and notice a larger than usual amount of bonus miles, then I wait a year or two in order to let my report settle down. I maintain a 780ish FICO due to this, and I have a relatively short credit history (26 years old, they say most formulas like to see average age of at least 10 years account age) I'm sure that I could be in the 800s if I never applied for anything, but where is the fun in that?

You would be better off asking questions like this on a site like www.creditboards.com The forums there are more geared towards general credit building, credit repair and the mechanics and specifics behind it, here
members seem to be more focused on just the bonus points and miles aspect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.