Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:21 pm

Easy way to meet $400 or more in spending:

http://macaronigrill.fbmta.com/membe...=C04bgmIYAF0Z0

Basically you'll pay $80 per $100 gift card after shipping, and turn those around and sell them to PJ or CP for $80 + maybe 4%. You'll also net 4 $5 macaroni grill gift cards per $100 gift card as well. If you bought $400 or $800 in gift cards you'd end up with either $80 or $160 in those $5 cards, which may be able to be resold somewhere or cashed out in CA. You'd break even at worst and could make $10/$20 per $100 if you can resell/cash out the bonus $5 cards.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Stubtify
Easy way to meet $400 or more in spending:

http://macaronigrill.fbmta.com/membe...=C04bgmIYAF0Z0

Basically you'll pay $80 per $100 gift card after shipping, and turn those around and sell them to PJ or CP for $80 + maybe 4%. You'll also net 4 $5 macaroni grill gift cards per $100 gift card as well. If you bought $400 or $800 in gift cards you'd end up with either $80 or $160 in those $5 cards, which may be able to be resold somewhere or cashed out in CA. You'd break even at worst and could make $10/$20 per $100 if you can resell/cash out the bonus $5 cards.
BEWARE the bonus restaurant cards with GC purchase. These come up all the time at Red Lobster, Outback, Longhorn, Chili's, Applebee's, etc., etc., and almost always have a time limit over which they are valid.

Per the website, these $5 cards are only valid 2 Jan 2013 - 28 Feb 2013. Often there is also a restriction that only one can be used per visit, so you can't pay for a $20 meal with 4 of them. And they don't always disclose this until you try to pay. Had this issue at Outback 2 or 3 years back. Wasn't a major problem since we were planning another trip anyway, but it would be nice to know ahead of time.

Due to all the restrictions on the bonus cards, you may have a hard time reselling or cashing out, esp at face value.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Here's to hopefully a return of the Mint in 2013! 2012 was much more difficult without the Mint. Maybe if the Mint sold to us again, it would be a way around the debt ceiling.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Not going to happen for practical reasons as Congress seems bent on turning the dollar into a post war Germany collectible piece. Can you really imagine us pushing wheelbarrows of metal dollars just to buy bread? I suggest they print dollars in rolls like toilet paper to help speed up the process of devaluing the currency.

Originally Posted by DavidAL
Here's to hopefully a return of the Mint in 2013! 2012 was much more difficult without the Mint. Maybe if the Mint sold to us again, it would be a way around the debt ceiling.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
BEWARE the bonus restaurant cards with GC purchase. These come up all the time at Red Lobster, Outback, Longhorn, Chili's, Applebee's, etc., etc., and almost always have a time limit over which they are valid.

Per the website, these $5 cards are only valid 2 Jan 2013 - 28 Feb 2013. Often there is also a restriction that only one can be used per visit, so you can't pay for a $20 meal with 4 of them. And they don't always disclose this until you try to pay. Had this issue at Outback 2 or 3 years back. Wasn't a major problem since we were planning another trip anyway, but it would be nice to know ahead of time.

Due to all the restrictions on the bonus cards, you may have a hard time reselling or cashing out, esp at face value.
Thanks for the tip Stubtify and Jack the restrictions are indeed the killer.
Without them we could all eat them up easy with friends in a meal or two but otherwise not worth it. Key would be to find the loosest restrictions which I know is not TGIF's but many local places are 6 months and can be used together
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by farwest101
Don't forget a leg on Air Yemen's monthly flight from their capital Sana'a. You earn triple PQMs for hazard duty. But on the bright side, they serve Qat for snacks - and you get your own spitoon built right into the seatback in front of you. In First you have your own towel boy to wipe up if you should have poor aim. They are affectionately known as Squat and Qat Air as bathroom facilities are "old style"...
I think it is spelled Ghat and I will pass on that but the cash back from Equitorial Bank is pretty tempting on that New Years promo
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
One major hitch on the restaurant gift card purchase is that you forgot to mention the biggest roadblock of them all...you would actually need to want to eat at Outback, Longhorn, Red Lobster, Chilis, TGIF, Applebee's, etc.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
One major hitch on the restaurant gift card purchase is that you forgot to mention the biggest roadblock of them all...you would actually need to want to eat at Outback, Longhorn, Red Lobster, Chilis, TGIF, Applebee's, etc.
Hey, don't insult where I take people I don't like.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
You can also use Outback GC at other restaurants like Roy's (which is a fantastic restaurant).
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by deant
You can also use Outback GC at other restaurants like Roy's (which is a fantastic restaurant).
Really? Fantastic? It is better than Outback, but fantastic may be a little much.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:54 pm

I really miss the mint. I loved spending the coins and looking at the reactions of the cashiers faces paying with 1dollar coins
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:08 pm

COINS!!!!

I found a source for coins!!!! they sell $1 presidential coins for face value with free shipping!!! sound familiar huh?

Before I get 10,000 PM i guess I should reveal the site......or should I?
If bloggers get wind this would dry up quick.
Ahhh what the heck......

the site is www.littletoncoin.com/specials

before everyone starts celebrating it is a one time offer for new members and you only get the first 24 coins (they claim in mint condition)
I was keeping a roll of each to fill a presidential coin folder when the series was done, but since the mint deal died I'm not willing to pay their price for the new rolls. I figure this will give me the first 24 without having to buy new rolls or break old ones....of course I have to cancel my membership with them after I recieve these coins as I think they add new customers to their look at these coins and send back the ones you don't want club. reminds me of the old record clubs. so if you do get this deal beware of that aspect and be prepared to follow up with them so they don't send you more coins you don't want. Yes it was too good to be true, there is no substitute for the old mint program...sigh
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Bank Advance?

*Deleted because this is covered in another thread*

Last edited by FederalFlyer; Jan 3, 2013 at 5:11 am
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:13 pm

deleted.

Last edited by tonyflyer; Jan 3, 2013 at 12:25 am Reason: deleted.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Hey, we wuz robbed! Where's the missing code for this new customer deal? Anyone know how many hundred thousand times I can be a new customer?

Originally Posted by wise2u
I found a source for coins!!!! they sell $1 presidential coins for face value with free shipping!!! sound familiar huh?

Before I get 10,000 PM i guess I should reveal the site......or should I?
If bloggers get wind this would dry up quick.
Ahhh what the heck......

the site is www.littletoncoin.com/specials

before everyone starts celebrating it is a one time offer for new members and you only get the first 24 coins (they claim in mint condition)
I was keeping a roll of each to fill a presidential coin folder when the series was done, but since the mint deal died I'm not willing to pay their price for the new rolls. I figure this will give me the first 24 without having to buy new rolls or break old ones....of course I have to cancel my membership with them after I recieve these coins as I think they add new customers to their look at these coins and send back the ones you don't want club. reminds me of the old record clubs. so if you do get this deal beware of that aspect and be prepared to follow up with them so they don't send you more coins you don't want. Yes it was too good to be true, there is no substitute for the old mint program...sigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.