Getting spending up without the Mint

Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
May not always work?

Originally Posted by Savannah2000
I am still owed over half of my money. I figured it went to a good cause but they don't guarantee 100% return.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:31 pm

Lenient Bank

Originally Posted by kendenton
HA! Yup TD wasn't happy at all. While it did get sorted out with receipts, faxes and a branch visit, to have my account frozen 2 days before I left for a month in Europe was gut-wrenching.
I have done this a few times with my WF PB account when something I bought at Nordstrom or Saks that didn't look quite as good the next day and I didn't want to give up the miles.
WF has never given me a problem about the credits when there was no corresponding debit.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:39 am

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Now that Mint is gone (no longer accepting CC purchases), the only way to meet spending requirements seem to the purchase of Gift Cards.=
Is this the case --a dancing with gift cards being the only method of juicing spend out there, that anyone's willing to talk about, that is?

There were some posts initially suggesting that PM-ing was the best way to discuss ideas; how can a newbie help out?

thanks,
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by forextrader
Data point: Going through fatwallet, 1% cashback for Visa/Mastercard giftcards on giftcards.com - $3000 giftcards purchased in August - cashback of $30 paid today (so takes about 90 days).

$500 giftcard has a fee of $5.95 - $5.00 cashback from fatwallet = $0.95 nett cost per $500.

There are free shipping codes available quite often to save a few dollars.
I had a similar experience. This might be the lowest cost/easiest to execute/least risky option
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Savannah2000
+2
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by apuraja
I had a similar experience. This might be the lowest cost/easiest to execute/least risky option
Another option is to buy, upgrade, and sell store gift cards. See, for example, here. It's definitely more work than buying visa or Amex cards, but shouldn't trip any important alarms. The opportunities for this come and go all the time, so you would need to keep an eye out.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:28 pm

I accidentally ran across a new one. My wife had some minor surgery last month and we paid the Dr's office in full on a CC. They filed the paperwork with my insurance company and I just got a check for about $1000. Had I not paid them up front I would only have been able to charge my portion. Not bad and surprisingly only a 30-day float on getting paid back.

Obviously this won't work for everyone but I'll be looking for an opportunity to use it again in the future.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
I accidentally ran across a new one. My wife had some minor surgery last month and we paid the Dr's office in full on a CC. They filed the paperwork with my insurance company and I just got a check for about $1000. Had I not paid them up front I would only have been able to charge my portion. Not bad and surprisingly only a 30-day float on getting paid back.

Obviously this won't work for everyone but I'll be looking for an opportunity to use it again in the future.
That's a great approach. Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta

many insurance companies allow this. But some have issues with it do be careful and maybe start off with $200 or something in an overpay once. If it goes off without a hitch, go bigger.

I once sent coins to my insurance co. lol. They called asking what this was all about but gladly accepted the payment. It was $500 but the bill was only for $400 and change so they sent me a check for the dif lol
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diam., Fairmont's PC, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by freakflyer
I am still owed over half of my money. I figured it went to a good cause but they don't guarantee 100% return.
Yes, I got your point, but their stats show 98.96% recovery, which is fairly with my personal one (around 97% for 200+ loans over 5 years)
http://www.kiva.org/about

Hope your other 50% will be reimbursed asap
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: many
Suggestions on best ways to get a quick $6K spend using Amex?

I completely forgot about the PRG GOLD yearly 15K bonus for $30K spend (I've been maxing the spend on the Ink Bold instead) and I find myself about $6K short before the Dec 31 deadline.

Amazon wont be of a help, Dec is already a done deal there.

No plans for any additional large purchases before Dec 31, and I don't want to go through the hassle of 12 X $500 Gift Cards as many times Gift Cards dont go through for payment online or at certain merchants. I could be sitting on those a long time.

I can put a chunk down toward the cell bill, but the other utilities dont take Amex.

Any other suggestions for decently large legitimate spends?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Property taxes and insurance

There are some online payment portals that allow you to pay mortgages, car payments, etc.. for a fee
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
Property taxes and insurance

There are some online payment portals that allow you to pay mortgages, car payments, etc.. for a fee
Can you pre-pay property taxes before the actual statement has generated? Proposals are out, but not the actuals for 2012.

I'm not finding Allstate shows a prepayment option, and vehicles are paid off.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Prostitutes and Drug Dealers that run fronts as legitimate businesses
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Prostitutes and Drug Dealers that run fronts as legitimate businesses
While that's so helpful, I'd be too afraid of propositioning a cop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.