Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:56 pm

I am surprised to see people throw away mails without even looking at once ..If you look once, it's hard not to find out it's a check...

Also, people worried about checks being stolen. This should not happen. Since the check will be deposited in some one's account and it's easy from there on to track down the person who stole the check.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kfennell
That's quite the scam, send out checks hoping most people throw them out!
no worse than a bunch of FTers finding a way to buy 10 products online, get the rebate, save on taxes for using a city they dont even live near or go to and then repeating the process in order to reap mega thousands of rewards points on CCs worth many dollars! lol

Originally Posted by samdori
If I don't get my check, I'll dispute the charge with the credit card company.
or just contact Staples and ask if it got lost and to please send another and void the first.

People: do not worry. these things come and they just take a while. I have not had any problems myself with Staples rebate checks. Just wait. And check your mail to make sure it's not stuck in those junk mail adds we all throw away right away.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Scam? Naw - everyone sends checks that way.
they do, but I open everything - even the stuff I know I dont need from first glance. Better to check first and then toss it than to not check and say OMG as the recycle truck is wheeling away!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: Several dozen
And dunna forget to open the Neilsen envelopes with the $2 in them. The South Texas Coin Laundry got spammed by Neilsen during the mint run. They found our dozens of po boxes. Spam never tasted so good!

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

they do, but I open everything - even the stuff I know I dont need from first glance. Better to check first and then toss it than to not check and say OMG as the recycle truck is wheeling away!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:45 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
And dunna forget to open the Neilsen envelopes with the $2 in them. The South Texas Coin Laundry got spammed by Neilsen during the mint run. They found our dozens of po boxes. Spam never tasted so good!
I used to work for Nielsen haha supposedly the $2 increases response rate by a lot lmao. If you're black or hispano and under 30 we send $30. FYI!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Hey, wadda know? I'm now Senor AlohaDaveKennedy and Black Irish so send me my $30. I'll get you my 100 addresses. And the addresses of all my thousands of newly discovered black hispano cousins. We are one big happy family!

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I used to work for Nielsen haha supposedly the $2 increases response rate by a lot lmao. If you're black or hispano and under 30 we send $30. FYI!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:41 pm

Trouble reaching minimum requirements for points

I want to get a Chase Sapphire with the 50,000 bonus points promotion, but I am worried about not being able to put 3,000 dollars on the card if I get a few other cards at the same time that I also have to reach minimum requirements. Are their any tricks to doing it? What if I use paypal to send money to a friend with my credit card, and then have him just give me the check when he gets it? I know that its like a 3% charge but if I need to do it in a pinch. Any other tips?

Also, should I apply for multiple cards the same day? Or does it not matter? I want to do what is in the best interest of my credit. Thanks again! You guys are so helpful
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by dtp1987
I want to get a Chase Sapphire with the 50,000 bonus points promotion, but I am worried about not being able to put 3,000 dollars on the card if I get a few other cards at the same time that I also have to reach minimum requirements. Are their any tricks to doing it? What if I use paypal to send money to a friend with my credit card, and then have him just give me the check when he gets it? I know that its like a 3% charge but if I need to do it in a pinch. Any other tips?

Also, should I apply for multiple cards the same day? Or does it not matter? I want to do what is in the best interest of my credit. Thanks again! You guys are so helpful
MMS has a blog posting on this topic. It might come of use to you
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/0...-requirements/
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:09 pm

I would buy Amex gift cards to meet minimum spend and then spend those gift cards wherever you would use credit cards.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by dshargorodsky
I would buy Amex gift cards to meet minimum spend and then spend those gift cards wherever you would use credit cards.
cheapest way to buy amex gift cards? cheapest way to buy any visa/mastercard gift cards?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webazoid
cheapest way to buy amex gift cards? cheapest way to buy any visa/mastercard gift cards?
get someone to refer you to bigcrumbs.com where, once a free member, you can buy them online and actually get back 1.6% cb.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
get someone to refer you to bigcrumbs.com where, once a free member, you can buy them online and actually get back 1.6% cb.
1.4% cash back
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:50 am

I wouldn't mind doing him a favor and referring him
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
This post lists the cheapest ways I know to buy gift cards:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...e-down-to-1-4/

Unfortunately, of the ideas in the post, only the BigCrumbs approach works with Chase Sapphire. But if you're working on spend for an Ink Bold or an Amex Business you're in luck.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
This post lists the cheapest ways I know to buy gift cards:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...e-down-to-1-4/

Unfortunately, of the ideas in the post, only the BigCrumbs approach works with Chase Sapphire. But if you're working on spend for an Ink Bold or an Amex Business you're in luck.
Can I buy this gift certificates with a foreign Amex?
Do I get the cashback for it? Possible to fake address in USA if needed?

ANd very important, can I use these giftcertificates or VISA/Amex/Mastercards for paying aorund the world or even in the USA using them from an European IP-address?

I have monthly some 1000$ to pay for servers in USA.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgo72
Can I buy this gift certificates with a foreign Amex?
Do I get the cashback for it? Possible to fake address in USA if needed?

ANd very important, can I use these giftcertificates or VISA/Amex/Mastercards for paying aorund the world or even in the USA using them from an European IP-address?

I have monthly some 1000$ to pay for servers in USA.
I hope I have some points correct here...

verify with others:

If using bigcrumbs to buy Amex GCs, I think any card should work (except trying to buy with another GC, as far as I can tell, these days) but I have never tried a foreign one. It is worth a shot. I do not know what, if any fees would come up though.

You would need a US address (not a post office box) where someone can receive the actual gift cards.

You could use these GCs to pay for anything anywhere Amex is accepted (the big crumbs link only has Amex ones for the % cash back, not Visa/MC ones)

Essentially you could possibly log into big crumbs (so long as someone referred you to be a member for free) and buy your gift cards with your foreign Amex, but have them ship to someone in the USA and when that person receives them, they could contact you with the Cc numbers, expiration dates and codes on back and front of each card. Then you could use them for purchases--for example, online purchases.

In many cases, using a card on the web may not incur any foreign transactions fees, but this may not always be the case.

Sounds like you pay for server use in the USA? If so, then perhaps they'd just take credit card or GC card numbers on the web and you could pay it from anyplace in the world, I would think.

Example: Use your foreign amex to buy say 5 $1,000 Amex GCs through BC. Get the % cash back. Someone gets the cards, tells you the numbers and then you pay for your server space.

But if your friend in the USA happened to mail you the cards and you tried to use them overseas then yes, you would get fees (I think it's called FOREX fees) and so you would need to know the exact % amount you are getting charged before you tried to spend that GC or it may not go through. It would take that amount from the GC so you would need to know what of your purchase is going to add up to the amount of the GC when factoring in the % fee.
With bigcrumbs, the cash back is paid out every 2 months. So if you earned say $20 this month, you wont see it til 2 months from today. In most cases I believe it can be set to go to one's paypal account. I think they have other options but I have never explored those. I do not know the rules on foreign paypal account holders.

Hope this helped!

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.