Getting spending up without the Mint

Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by sent
I never got a chance to order the dollar coins but I could use them now! My second car doesn't have EZ Pass since I drive it infrequently. Yet you can't drive on the roads in NJ and NYC without going through 3 toll booths for a 15 mile drive. There are barely any tolls left in the tri-state that are under $1 yet all the tolls booths have "Exact Change Only" lanes that are always empty. The banks give me a funny look when I ask for dollar coins and then after much searching,they scrounge up 3 Sacajawea dollars. Where are all the dollar coins?!!!
They are at that d___ vault that NPR took pictures at, or at the new facility that NPR claimed was being built to store them. The banks were always the problem. The banks declared that customers did not want them and they refused to circulate the dollar coins to retail or commercial customers; the banks just sent them to the Fed, who stored them in the vaults and warehouses. This was always nonsense. I circulated plenty of dollar coins and I deposited a lot more. I never received a negative reaction when circulating them, in fact it was usually the opposite - people were delighted to receive them. The Mint and the frequent flyers received bad publicity when the bad publicity should have gone to the banks.

The banks could still order them from the Fed, but they won't and don't. Consequently, the dollar coins are almost impossible to find. I wish I would have saved more back to use on mass transit and in vending machines - much more convenient than getting dollar bills into the readers.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by sent
I never got a chance to order the dollar coins but I could use them now! My second car doesn't have EZ Pass since I drive it infrequently. Yet you can't drive on the roads in NJ and NYC without going through 3 toll booths for a 15 mile drive. There are barely any tolls left in the tri-state that are under $1 yet all the tolls booths have "Exact Change Only" lanes that are always empty. The banks give me a funny look when I ask for dollar coins and then after much searching,they scrounge up 3 Sacajawea dollars. Where are all the dollar coins?!!!
How infrequently do you drive it? If you have less than 4 cars, you can add another tag for free (as long as you fund with a CC)! ^

Individual applicants may request up to four tags per account. It does not cost you more if you sign-up using a credit card. A $10 per tag refundable deposit is required for check and cash customers.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Yep, my vending machines now take the coins, but where are they Timmie? (Geithner)

Time to offer circulating coins to the public from the Fed!

Originally Posted by Andy2
They are at that d___ vault that NPR took pictures at, or at the new facility that NPR claimed was being built to store them. The banks were always the problem. The banks declared that customers did not want them and they refused to circulate the dollar coins to retail or commercial customers; the banks just sent them to the Fed, who stored them in the vaults and warehouses. This was always nonsense. I circulated plenty of dollar coins and I deposited a lot more. I never received a negative reaction when circulating them, in fact it was usually the opposite - people were delighted to receive them. The Mint and the frequent flyers received bad publicity when the bad publicity should have gone to the banks.

The banks could still order them from the Fed, but they won't and don't. Consequently, the dollar coins are almost impossible to find. I wish I would have saved more back to use on mass transit and in vending machines - much more convenient than getting dollar bills into the readers.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:20 pm

Has anyone gotten their rebate check yet for the Staples software? I know it's really soon, but just wondering.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Has anyone gotten their rebate check yet for the Staples software? I know it's really soon, but just wondering.
I got mine last week for some I bought in Feb.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
just a buncha emails saying in process!
I expect in weeks from now
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:58 pm

Yep, finally got one. It looks just like a junk mail postcard so be careful not to toss it! Here is a picture of it:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2012/03/26/check-for-your-staples-rebate-check/
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Identity Platnium (Cosmopolitan), Palladium Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
Yep, finally got one. It looks just like a junk mail postcard so be careful not to toss it! Here is a picture of it:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2012/03/26/check-for-your-staples-rebate-check/
Thanks for the link dude!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

yup!
seen em before!
thanks for reminding people.

I should be ok though... yer lookin' at a guy who, as a ruse with a high school friend, once decided to go around to the trash bins and pull out those envelopes with promotions in them where they paste a new nickle in the envelope, but people threw them all away as junk mail and we could easily collect a couple-three or four dollars in 20 minutes hahaha. And ya'll thought dumpster diving was bad!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:31 pm

Wow, they don't even bother to put it in an envelope! I bet they are never ever stolen
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by samdori
Wow, they don't even bother to put it in an envelope! I bet they are never ever stolen
That's what I was thinking. I was so excited when I found out I could get a check, but now am wondering if I should have done the Visa gift card!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by infamousdx
How infrequently do you drive it? If you have less than 4 cars, you can add another tag for free (as long as you fund with a CC)! ^
Thank you, I didn't know this. And to think the bank tried to hand me 2 Susan B. Anthony dollars in addition to the 3 Sacajawea dollars. I didn't take them because I still think people confuse them for quarters.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Nada :(
That's quite the scam, send out checks hoping most people throw them out!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by kfennell
If I don't get my check, I'll dispute the charge with the credit card company.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Scam? Naw - everyone sends checks that way.

Originally Posted by kfennell

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.