Getting spending up without the Mint

Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:55 pm

When they go for 10 UR/$, buy Sears GC, trade for eBay GC, then purchase Safeway GC on eBay. I have a saved eBay search for Safeway GC and new items posted 2-3 times per week during January.

Originally Posted by ikonos
Any way to accumulate some points/miles for buying safeway gift cards? I was hoping to use drugstore.com through UR mall but the fine print says 10x wont work for gift card purchases. Thanks in Advance.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lpatron
When they go for 10 UR/$, buy Sears GC, trade for eBay GC, then purchase Safeway GC on eBay. I have a saved eBay search for Safeway GC and new items posted 2-3 times per week during January.
This is probably a dumb question but where can I trade a sears for ebay gc?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Regarding Delta, the Skymiles award system is heavily gamed IMHO. But I was able to book from a city far west of Atlanta to Doha, Qatar with an incidental touchdown in Saudi Arabia for 80K +$80. Like British Airways you have to find a valid date to get a peek at flight options. Unlike BA, you can't just move forward and back week by week. You have to redo from start for each date. Delta kept coming back with nothing or 100K 40+ hours flights from hell. Then finally the flight dropped into place. Got an extended weekend flight in the cooler season. Delta-KLM.

BTW, if you think you are a creative thinker when it comes to manufacturing miles and money, consider the soda lady of Lynn, Massachusetts as reported in USA Today:

She allegedly used a stolen welfare benefits card to purchase $64 worth of soda, then immediately fed the full cans into an automated redemption machine to collect the nickel deposit on each can. As the machine was not used to digesting 18 full 12-packs of soda, damage to the machines was well over $250.
Man with Delta I'll search on the daily for a reward and randomly what I want will just pop up. I've learned both the hard way and the easy way to immediately book what you need when you find it!

Wow, very desperate for $10.80 (216 cans at $.05 each).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:35 pm

You have to go to a B&M Sears or KMart and find the gift card rack. Most people report being able to purchase other GCs with Sears GCs (even though it is against the T&C) but I would advise doing a test run of one $25 card before investing a lot into Sears GCs. Make sure you get a physical plastic mailed to you rather than doing the print-at-home route, as that creates confusion with the checker (learned that lesson the hard way).

I have purchased several hundred dollars worth of other GCs at my local KMart over the past few months with Sears GCs but this past weekend got turned away - not sure if they are becoming stricter or it was a fluke. I'll try again in a few days and try a different cashier.

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
This is probably a dumb question but where can I trade a sears for ebay gc?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:39 pm

You have to go to a B&M Sears or KMart and find the gift card rack. Most people report being able to purchase other GCs with Sears GCs (even though it is against the T&C) but I would advise doing a test run of one $25 card before investing a lot into Sears GCs. Make sure you get a physical plastic mailed to you rather than doing the print-at-home route, as that creates confusion with the checker (learned that lesson the hard way).

I have purchased several hundred dollars worth of other GCs at my local KMart over the past few months with Sears GCs but this past weekend got turned away - not sure if they are becoming stricter or it was a fluke. I'll try again in a few days and try a different cashier.
I was turned away once at Kmart too. I try to mix a few gift cards within a big cart full of staples: cereal, tissue boxes, whatever. That seems to help. Sears has been rock solid, so far, and has always allowed me to buy gift cards with gift cards. I haven't tried more than 2 at a time, though, because I don't want to push my luck.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
My local sears seems to have sears gift cards only. Which section do they usually have them?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ikonos
My local sears seems to have sears gift cards only. Which section do they usually have them?
I have never checked Sears, only K-Mart, but this post says they were found in the hardware section. Wander around and maybe ask a clerk but don't mention you are using a GC to buy other GCs.

Good luck!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
Thanks for the shout out. Yep, I write a lot about this stuff (http://thefrequentmiler.com)
Surprised I've never seen this website before. After spending about two minutes on it, I bookmarked it. There looks like a lot of useful information here.

Mike
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

I for one have bought itunes credit using sears gc.
I also buy the Sears GC at Petro Canada so I can earn AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Surprised I've never seen this website before. After spending about two minutes on it, I bookmarked it. There looks like a lot of useful information here.

Mike
I love that blog - definitely one of the tops feeds in my Google Reader!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:04 pm

I love that blog - definitely one of the tops feeds in my Google Reader!
What a great compliment, thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I for one have bought itunes credit using sears gc.
I also buy the Sears GC at Petro Canada so I can earn AM.

I bought $400 worth of BP GC s $75 B&N & $30 Tmobile using Sears GCs at a KMART . I had $2000 of Sears 10X GC i was working on.

When they had a problem getting the Tmobil to go thru I asked for cash back intead of credit on the GC and got it.

They said NP buying GCs with a SEARS GC when I asked
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I bought $400 worth of BP GC s $75 B&N & $30 Tmobile using Sears GCs at a KMART . I had $2000 of Sears 10X GC i was working on.

When they had a problem getting the Tmobil to go thru I asked for cash back intead of credit on the GC and got it.

They said NP buying GCs with a SEARS GC when I asked
I attend a class a few times a week with a young lady who works as a manager at a Staples. She is one of those 'oh no you cannot buy a GC with a GC at Staples' people. She said newer people will do it for customers but if they come to her she will say no.

that said, it seems some let you and some do not.

Does anyone here know if Staples sell HomeDepot GCs?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Well, MM, to paraphrase The Captain in Cool Hand Luke "What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate." Communicate company policy, that is. That is why so many opportunities are YMMV - policies are inconsistently communicated, then laxly enforced. While you may profit from this situation, it is far more profitable to have a company issue a flawed policy which is heavily communicated and enforced. Flawed policies are much more backup-the-truckworthy.

"Terms and Conditions: Valid only if purchased from a Staples U.S. retail store, at staples.com® or from an authorized reseller or distributor, or received from an authorized distributor; Staples reserves the right to not honor cards obtained from unauthorized sellers, including Internet auction sites. Card has no value until activated. Lost, stolen or damaged cards replaced only with valid proof of purchase to extent of remaining card balance. May be used only in Staples U.S. retail stores. **Cannot be used for credit card payments or to purchase other gift cards (including Staples Gift Cards) or wireless cards.** Not redeemable for cash or credit except where required by law. No more than five cards may be used for any single purchase. Cards may not be consolidated.

Card issued by Staples Value, LLC."

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I attend a class a few times a week with a young lady who works as a manager at a Staples. She is one of those 'oh no you cannot buy a GC with a GC at Staples' people. She said newer people will do it for customers but if they come to her she will say no.

that said, it seems some let you and some do not.

Does anyone here know if Staples sell HomeDepot GCs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.