Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Canadian residents]25,000 Alaska Airlines MBNA MC Promo

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

[Canadian residents]25,000 Alaska Airlines MBNA MC Promo

Just got an email from Alaska Airlines about their new Mastercard with MBNA.

25,000 bonus Alaska Miles upon approval. Yearly fee of $75. $99 companion fare, etc.

Think the $75 fee is worth the bonus 25,000 points? And then cancel before the year is up again?

Just needed to get email subscription...

Last edited by philemer; May 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm
Old May 10, 2011, 9:38 am
Suspended

Coincidentally....

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mjontr...hink-about-it/
Old May 10, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Bailey84
Just got an email from Alaska Airlines about their new Mastercard with MBNA.

25,000 bonus Alaska Miles upon approval. Yearly fee of $75. $99 companion fare, etc.

Think the $75 fee is worth the bonus 25,000 points? And then cancel before the year is up again?
To most, $75 for 25K AS miles would still be a good deal. It will be even better if you think you can make use of the companion certificate. Unlike most other bogus companion certificates out there in the market, this certificate is certainly a true companion certificate and thus is valuable. Only catch is, it is usable only on Alaska Airlines flights.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Is this different than the existing MBNA card that is available to Canadian residents? i.e. http://www.mbna.ca/alaska_airlines_cards.html
Old May 10, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Looks like a decent deal. Like the poster above said the annual $99 companion ticket has no fare class restrictions attached. I wonder if you can do business class with this. I will have to inquire. Alaska flies to Hawaii and Mexico which is appealing to me. And they are also throwing in two passes to their Board Room lounge upon approval (good at LAX, PDX, SFO, SEA, and ANC). So if you are a West Coastie, this deal might not be bad.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Actually since I have been wanting to go to Seattle and Alaska has a flight from IAH (closest airport) to Seattle, this actually might be something I would consider, even if I am not on the West Coast.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:24 pm

A few comments, from what I can find the MBNA offer is for Canadian residents. The US Offer from Bank of America is similar but doesn't offer the boardroom passes - they canceled those a few years ago. The $99 companion fare is good on any AS flown flight booked on alaskaairlines.com so First/Business class tickets on AS metal is ok...
Old May 10, 2011, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
Is this different than the existing MBNA card that is available to Canadian residents? i.e. http://www.mbna.ca/alaska_airlines_cards.html
It looks like it's the same card. The app. will only let you enter a Canadian address.

The US version, from BofA, is found on the AS main page. Details are different, as mentioned above.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Not for nothin', but MBNA is the same company as Bank of America, since about 5 years ago. They just brand it as MBNA up north.

A few comments, from what I can find the MBNA offer is for Canadian residents. The US Offer from Bank of America is similar but doesn't offer the boardroom passes - they canceled those a few years ago. The $99 companion fare is good on any AS flown flight booked on alaskaairlines.com so First/Business class tickets on AS metal is ok...
Old May 11, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by eknock007
Looks like a decent deal. Like the poster above said the annual $99 companion ticket has no fare class restrictions attached. I wonder if you can do business class with this.
The companion ticket can be used with F (Alaska's version of business class).
I've had this card for a few years and I think it is the best card available to Canadians. Generally we don't get the great bonus mileage offers and lower annual fees that Americans get. The $75 fee itself is lower than any comparable cards in Canada. Availability of mileage seats is also great. Aeroplan it is not.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
The BofA offer does include the 2 Board Room passes. In the BofA application page, if you click on the "Learn more about additional card product features" link on the top right, a pop up window will appear showing the additional card benefits and one of those is 2 Board Room passes upon card approval. This is also referenced in the T&C's.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by eknock007
appear showing the additional card benefits and one of those is 2 Board Room passes upon card approval.
Ok, previously they offered passes each year, those were cut.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:21 pm

Wow, they use to offer these passes every year. That would have kinda made up for annual fee if you traveled as at least once a year with AS. You know you can buy a one-day pass for like $20 on the AS website. So I can see why they would have given cardmembers yearly passes. To me the most valuable part of this deal would be the possibility of getting two F class tickets for a little more than the price of one. I was looking at fares and an F class ticket to Hawaii was going for about $1550 from LAX. I mean you throw in the $99 companion cost + the $75 AF + the $45 in taxes, you are now looking at a pair of F class tickets for around $1770 or $885 a piece. I mean $885 is what some of the other airlines are charging for coach. So yeah the companion ticket is what makes this card very attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.