Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ok, Chase and Citi cards Done. What's next???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok, Chase and Citi cards Done. What's next???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Igor718
When you say 25K miles is only $250, I don't see it that way. I see 52K miles paying for a business class seat one way that would cost much more than $520.
With reference to any "use your miles any time for any flight with no blackout" offer (such as the recent Cap 1 Venture), you are simply wrong and he was right. All such offers of which I'm aware are (as he suggested) "penny a point" (or similar) options where your "miles" are simply applied to the retail cash price of the ticket. Throw out the freq. flyer mileage chart when evaluating such programs, you're not going to convert at those rates.

True FF miles are always subject to availability and blackout restrictions, which can be more, or less, daunting (caveat -- I suppose the availability of high-mileage "Anytime" awards in some but not all programs is an exception, but again those are rarely high-value redemptions even when possible).
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johndeere19
I don't believe that's official policy, is it? From what I understand, Citi won't approve you for a second personal card with a bonus that's for first time card holders only, but you shouldn't have a problem applying for another.
Since the OP was only interested in bonuses, I was speaking only of applying and getting bonuses. Yes, Citi has ways for you to get a second AA card, but with either no bonus or only a small bonus.

Back to bonus offer apps:

While Chase (in "repeat" cases) apparently tends to approve cards but deny the bonuses, Citi for AA cards tends to deny the card itself. At least that's what I had happen to me with Citi, and countless other people have also reported the same in the "jig is up" thread over in the Other Credit Cards forum for a long time. There appear to be exceptions, but that's their "default" behavior if you don't hit an exception.

Apparently the two banks do things in a different order. Chase processes the card application, then evaluates whether you are eligible for the bonus. Citi eveluates whether you are eligibile for the bonus first (if you don't get by with an exception that approves your card "instantly") and denies that card if you are ineligible for the signup offer.

I guess Chase figures you just want the card no matter what, while Citi figures you can apply for the card with a different (lame) signup offer or with no signup offer if you really want a "second" card. (Citi has an official offer, though perhaps targeted, for adding an AA Amex if you already have an open AA MC or AA Visa, with a 10k bonus for adding the Amex. But "new" AA Amex cards have 25k to 100k bonuses, which is why I call the 10k offer "lame".)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:18 pm

I've done most of the big deals recently: Citi AA, Sapphire, CapOne, Chase BA.

In the near future, I'm considering:

American Express Business Gold Card (50,000 points)
Barclays US Airways Card (40,000 points)
Discover Escape (25,000 points)
Bank of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines (35,000 points - can be converted to 70,000 Hilton points)
Bank of America - Alaska Airlines Card (25,000 points)
Bank of America - Hawaiian Airlines (35,000 points - can be converted to 70,000 Hilton points)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
I've done most of the big deals recently: Citi AA, Sapphire, CapOne, Chase BA.

In the near future, I'm considering:

. . .
Bank of America - Alaska Airlines Card (25,000 points)
. . .
Before you apply for the BoA Alaska card, check through the Alaska thread on this forum, and you'll discover a number that still gives 40,000 miles for this lovely card. I applied a couple of days ago on the phone (took about 30 minutes) and got it.
Good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Cool Ok .... teach me to CHURN cards. 900K miles ... do it again?

So in the last 4-5 months I applied, approved and received bonuses for the following cards

Citi AA = 5 mo ago
Citi AA business = 3 mo ago
CO Chase = 5 mo ago
BA Chase = 5 mo ago
AMEX gold = 4 mo ago
AMEX gold business = 3 mo ago
AMEX SPG = 1 mo ago
Chase Saphire = 4 mo ago

As you can see .... at this point not many great deals around. So..... to calm my nerves .... which of the cards I applied for can be Churned? I do expect to cancel almost all of them before the one year mark but which one will let me apply again and in what time frame???

Never churned a card, so need your input please.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:03 am

I believe that there is a new AmEx Gold 25K card.

You can churn the Citi AA Business card every 90 days.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IkeEsq

You can churn the Citi AA Business card every 90 days.
nooo, who told you that???
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:43 am

I read the thread.

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
4. You DO NOT need a business to apply for the business card. It is best practice to use your name as it appears on bills, bank accounts etc so if Citi asks for supporting documents, the name on the documents you provide will match the name on the card. Whether approved or denied, you can only apply for a new business card once every 90+ days. Business cards must be fully cancelled (to be safe) before applying for a new one (make sure the card AND online account have been cancelled). Many people have chrned this card every 90+ days, but recent reports suggest Citi may be attempting to crack down on business card churning. Apply after 91+ days and risk denial for already receiving a business card or wait longer and risk the 75k offer dying ... tough choices!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:43 am

nooo, who told you that???
Straight from the AA Citi x3 Thread
Many people have chrned this card every 90+ days, but recent reports suggest Citi may be attempting to crack down on business card churning
People have done it but it is still YMMV.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

that thread is about a year old. Seems too good to be true to churn that card every 95 days. I am thinking, if I cancel this card now ... without waiting at least 6-7 months ... can that flag things? some people really suggested keeping a card for at least 6 months.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Is the a CO business card with a decent bonus you can apply for? Since I imagine the CO business cards will also go away soon, you may as well get what you can get.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: No preference
that thread is about a year old. Seems too good to be true to churn that card every 95 days. I am thinking, if I cancel this card now ... without waiting at least 6-7 months ... can that flag things? some people really suggested keeping a card for at least 6 months.
It's about as possible as you starting another thread touting your mile balances in the future.

Some people have done it 3 and 4 times since the 75k and 100k offers came out. And I update the post #2 will current information, so thread age is irrelevant.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

It's about as possible as you starting another thread touting your mile balances in the future.

Some people have done it 3 and 4 times since the 75k and 100k offers came out. And I update the post #2 will current information, so thread age is irrelevant.

JC .... with all due respect ... I am using a # of miles accumulated only as a "grabber". Pretty much to get people to respond. Yes, I am proud of getting over a million miles (already spent 200K). What's wrong with that? Enthusiasm for this game is what makes this forum alive ... no?

Anyway ... I hope that what you're saying is in fact true as I'd love to get another 75K from the business card. It's been 3 months since I got it, so I'll cancel it today and hope that 3 months from now the offer will still be alive.

thanks for the help.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aint that true!

And it is about as useful (or rather useless) as all the previous threads, including the 3.4 Million MR pts friend who does not know what to do with his stash, or how another friend has trouble meeting his spend requirements to earn bonuses, or .... All trolling people to post but the OP of the threads never contributes.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Citi AA = 5 mo ago
Citi AA business = 3 mo ago
CO Chase = 5 mo ago
BA Chase = 5 mo ago
AMEX gold = 4 mo ago
AMEX gold business = 3 mo ago
AMEX SPG = 1 mo ago
Chase Saphire = 4 mo ago
As soon as I saw the thread title I knew this infamous list would be in the first post as always.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.