Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Convince me not to redeem miles for AMEX Gift Cards

Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:45 am
Original Poster

We have close to one million delta miles that my family has accumulated. We typically take two international trips per year. I have a 9 month old so his ticket is free for now. Baby 2 will likely be coming along in the next year so traveling will likely slow down for a bit.

Cash is low at the moment so I am looking at ways to get additional money. Frequent flyer points and hotel points have value and I can redeem 110,000 Delta miles for $1000. I am experienced enough to know that this is a horrible exchange rate. However, they are currently just sitting in the account and need some cash.

Please convince me not to redeem them!! I'm tempted to cash out some of them but know that they will be much more valuable using them for family trips in the future.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but if I were in your situation and had *Delta* miles, I'd be redeeming them for cash too. There are plenty of ways to quickly earn more miles and there will be in the future as well.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Smile

Originally Posted by davevt98
We have close to one million delta miles that my family has accumulated. We typically take two international trips per year. I have a 9 month old so his ticket is free for now. Baby 2 will likely be coming along in the next year so traveling will likely slow down for a bit.

Cash is low at the moment so I am looking at ways to get additional money. Frequent flyer points and hotel points have value and I can redeem 110,000 Delta miles for $1000. I am experienced enough to know that this is a horrible exchange rate. However, they are currently just sitting in the account and need some cash.

Please convince me not to redeem them!! I'm tempted to cash out some of them but know that they will be much more valuable using them for family trips in the future.
We also had over 800,000 miles. I cashed in 110,000 3 weeks ago and will probably cash in another 110,000 next month. We're now back over 800,000. Sorry but when you're building miles faster than you use them you may as well get some value out of them.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I was afraid of these responses
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
If you need the cash I would take it.
Just like a cc balance. If you can float the balance great, otherwise it normally is not worth it.
In addition if you are accumulating miles faster than you can burn them then there is no point in just hanging on to the miles.

Like someone pointed out, it seems that you can easily earn more miles so you can replace them later on when money is not so tight.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:53 am

Do you have any relatives who travel for whom you can buy tickets and have them reimburse you the cost of the ticket? Maybe at a discount so it's a win/win?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I have a 9 month old so his ticket is free for now."

I don't know what DL's policy is, but most carriers do not transport a lap infant for free on international flights. The typical charge for a lap infant is 10% of a full-fare ticket.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, BA, Hyatt, SPG
I would not cash them out unless you are carrying large balances on high interest credit cards that need paid off. Even carrying $1-2k on these cards for a few months isn't that much in interest you will be paying.

If your quality of life is in jeopardy without cashing them in, perhaps that would be a better idea though.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:48 pm

Very similar situation here, cash them out. Amex/Delta are paying for our Christmas this year. Sadly, Amex is being a Bad Santa by cutting our 100K bonus bump, but 75K + 20K rebate will suit us just fine.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I don't know what DL's policy is, but most carriers do not transport a lap infant for free on international flights. The typical charge for a lap infant is 10% of a full-fare ticket.
That is correct. 10% is quite nominal though.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by guv1976

OT, but it's not full-fare: it's 10% of whatever the parents' fare is.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:00 pm

Traveling with two small kids is a whole lot harder than traveling with one. If you are planning on long international flights, I highly recommend buying a seat even for children under 2. You are going to need more miles to buy 4 tickets, and I would plan on traveling in coach until they are both at least 6. Even the best behaved kid can have a meltdown when they're tired, their routine is disrupted, and they are expected to sleep in a strange place. Excited kids speak in loud shrill voices even when you ask them 100 times to speak quietly. I think you'll find yourself holding off on those international trips a lot longer than you think once the reality of 2 kids under 3 hits you (mine are 4 and 6, and I'm still afraid to take them on a 10 hour flight).

So on one hand you are going to need more miles for international family vacations, but if you are accruing them fast and you have a while until you use them, you might as well burn some. But if you are short on cash now, maybe you should consider waiting a little longer before having another kid. Two are almost twice as expensive as one.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Yeah, take the money and run.
It will all be over next year anyway.....
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Yeah, take the money and run.
It will all be over next year anyway.....
Uh ... what does that mean?

1. Delta is going belly up?
2. FFP's will no longer be in existence?
3. The world ends in 2012?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
What's the big deal? Cash in some miles and keep some miles. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Anyway, that's what I did, and I ave closer to 200K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.