Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Combining Miles when Same Last name. Trick???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining Miles when Same Last name. Trick???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Question Combining Miles when Same Last name. Trick???

Hi there,

Interested in this Continental 50K miles offer
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...x?&offer=OPP50

If I open up this card and my mother does the same (same last names ... different address). Can I combine her and my miles and fly business using continental>???

So, pretty much, can miles be combined if we both have the same last name???

thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA
You can't combine miles between two different accounts without paying for it:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...selection.aspx

$15 per 1000

Last edited by jato; Apr 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Igor718
Hi there,

Interested in this Continental 50K miles offer
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...x?&offer=OPP50

If I open up this card and my mother does the same (same last names ... different address). Can I combine her and my miles and fly business using continental>???

So, pretty much, can miles be combined if we both have the same last name???

thanks.
No.
Unless you want to pay the expensive transfer fees that is.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
The only way this works - and it's still not kosher - is if father and son have the same names. Just don't indicate junior or senior. Then you can potentially merge accounts. Not worth the hassle/risk.

I do wish US airlines had household accounts a la BA, but they don't, so I make do.

Remember that CO miles can be moved over to UA for free online now and you can easily book one way awards through UA. Simply book one from account A, one from account B for a round trip.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Simply book one from account A, one from account B for a round trip.
The only downside is that changes can be (and cancellations are) twice as expensive.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The only way this works - and it's still not kosher - is if father and son have the same names. Just don't indicate junior or senior...
If the two of you will ever both be in the air at the same time, don't both give your joint FF number!

(Airlines have this odd idea that a person can only be on one plane at a time. Go figure.)
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
If the two of you will ever both be in the air at the same time, don't both give your joint FF number!

(Airlines have this odd idea that a person can only be on one plane at a time. Go figure.)
Actually, that brings up a good point. An FFP account established in a mimatched name, even if it were to work for earning, might have problem redeeming, given the TSA and others who insist that the name match the travel ID you're going to use.

Typically, the travel name for the airline whose FFP you use is the name on the FFP account, and that in turn must match your travel ID name if you actually want to bok your own travel through that airline/FFP.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, that brings up a good point. An FFP account established in a mimatched name, even if it were to work for earning, might have problem redeeming, given the TSA and others who insist that the name match the travel ID you're going to use.

Typically, the travel name for the airline whose FFP you use is the name on the FFP account, and that in turn must match your travel ID name if you actually want to bok your own travel through that airline/FFP.
But it is very easy to book a flight using FFP for another person, right? And as long as the passenger name fully matches travel ID, no issues with TSA, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
But it is very easy to book a flight using FFP for another person, right? And as long as the passenger name fully matches travel ID, no issues with TSA, etc.
It may be easy "enough" but I don't know that's "very easy". I don't know of any way to set up the online accounts at any of the airlines that I have to automatically always book my trips in Person X's name. It's set up to always book my trips in my name, to record my security information, etc. Everyone else I have to enter from scratch each time.

So at the very least it's a bit more hassle to book flights for someone else than for yourself. I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but I'd be annoyed if every one of the flights that I book, including sometimes multiple MRs booked in the course of minutes, I had to keep entereing that info over and over and over agian, just because I'd intentionally made it wrong once year ago in an effort to scam the airline. (It's one thing to ask the ailrine to change your name because you got married, it's another thing to ask the airline to change your name because you're done scamming them for a while!)
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
You can use your miles to easily book a trip for anyone. Just make sure their ID name matches the rez. name. Is that what you were asking?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:42 pm

Igor78

Igor718, why do you want to scam the airlines? Every post of yours seems to be on the unethical side of things. Maybe I am too old fashioned.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It may be easy "enough" but I don't know that's "very easy". I don't know of any way to set up the online accounts at any of the airlines that I have to automatically always book my trips in Person X's name. It's set up to always book my trips in my name, to record my security information, etc. Everyone else I have to enter from scratch each time.

So at the very least it's a bit more hassle to book flights for someone else than for yourself. I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but I'd be annoyed if every one of the flights that I book, including sometimes multiple MRs booked in the course of minutes, I had to keep entereing that info over and over and over agian, just because I'd intentionally made it wrong once year ago in an effort to scam the airline. (It's one thing to ask the ailrine to change your name because you got married, it's another thing to ask the airline to change your name because you're done scamming them for a while!)
When booking on Continental, it is very to select other passenger names from a drop down box, in fact it's the same way I select my own name. Pretty much the same way with United. The other passenger names just have to be saved to your profile once. Don't know about the other airlines off hand. Anyway, I was just throwing that out there, I don't condone what the OP seems to want to do.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
You can use your miles to easily book a trip for anyone. Just make sure their ID name matches the rez. name. Is that what you were asking?
That's been my experience also. I was just wondering why another poster was making it sound so difficult. Maybe its not so easy on some of the other airlines. Anyway, as I said above, I don't condone what the OP seems to be wanting to do.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:11 pm

I do wish US airlines had household accounts a la BA
Amen... I love this feature.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since the OP's question has been answered (no, you can't combine two CO accounts), and we're moving OT, I'll close this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.