AMEX Platinum...worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Platinum...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by farulg
... I'm a current Amex gold, SPG and blue card member though, maybe that's a reason?
Maybe delete cookies. Try this link from the points guy
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...SSVcV35LaBvx6A
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: UA MR UR AA
Originally Posted by ddallas
Maybe delete cookies. Try this link from the points guy
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...SSVcV35LaBvx6A
Deleting cookies worked, thanks!

Let's see if this gets approved, I think it's my record number of card applications in a day trying to get as many miles as possible for my 3 international trips this year...
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:53 am

you can drop before fee

Originally Posted by kts262
You get charged $450 on your first month's bill so you can't drop it before the fee kicks in.

The OP could get it, pay the $450 and try it out for a year and then if they don't feel the card is beneficial then drop it a year from now.
you have 60 days to cancel it and have the full fee refunded. You can also cancel afterwards and get a prorated refund on the annual fee you paid. I'm not sure if you could keep any of the perks you got, like global entry fee is good for 5 years, would they cancel your membership?....I imagine they would yank the points back.

From the OP stated situation the answer is NO this is not the card for you. A family international trip over a year from now would gain no benefit unless he renewed the card...he states he is an infrequent traveler, so hanging out in the lounges wont be a weekly or even monthly perk to justify the $450 fee, global entry only matters if you travel internationally, and unless he pays $175 to add from 1-3 family members on as users, they wont all be joining him in the lounges. the $200 flight credit helps offset the fee but overall he is paying too much for perks that will go mainly unused.

MR are easy to get at a lower pricepoint (most of the other MR cards are fee waived for first year) and he could double up with a MR card and a DL gold or plat. My wife got AMEX DL Platinum with 45k skymiles 15 of which were MQM's for only $150...and she got a $100 DL flight credit...you can buy lounge access for $25 when needed, and the baggage fee waiver will help her get the fees worth out of the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.