Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:33 pm

I applied for a Gold Premier Rewards Card on 4/16/11 through an old link on the Frugal Travel Guy's blog for a 25,000 point bonus (Platinum was too expensive for me). I saw this thread several days later. I activated my new Gold card today and sent an email through the AMEX Secure Message Center (Subject: Membership Rewards--Points Balance) complaining about the better offer and requesting offer 5894. I received a reply an hour or two later saying they credited my account with 50,000 MR points (pending) and I would receive the 25,000 MR points from my original offer 6-8 weeks after meeting the $1,000 minimum spend. I didn't lie about getting the better offer, just said I didn't think it was fair other people were getting 3X the bonus. I think that they can't give you offer code 5894 without being targeted, but Membership Rewards has the power to give you extra points at their discretion. I think you have to have applied after the 75,000 point bonus started, about the beginning of April.

I have had affiliated AMEX cards since 2002 (always keep the free Hilton, but have had SPG and Delta cards and cancelled when the fee came due). I currently have SPG Business and Hilton Surpass cards. This was my first AMEX charge card.

Last edited by birdseye; Apr 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by aap
I think your problem is that you don't have an existing Amex card. My understanding is that this offer was targeted to existing Amex cardholders and trying to get them to upgrade to a higher value card ($175 annual fee, but only waived for the first year).

I was able to get in on this offer because the Membership Rewards rep found my other Amex Credit Card, and seemed accommodating as I was an existing cardholder.
Could be, but I have an AMEX Blue Cash card, so I don't think that's it.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 3:30 pm

Anybody with a SPG card had any luck getting this deal yet?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by sdtumbleweed
Anybody with a SPG card had any luck getting this deal yet?
Both my folks got it.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Both my folks got it.
Interesting....I may have to give it a try.....Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
25K link??

Originally Posted by birdseye
I applied for a Gold Premier Rewards Card on 4/16/11 through an old link on the Frugal Travel Guy's blog for a 25,000 point .
I have been trying to find this link and do the same thing. All I can find is 10K links and didn't want to apply for that THEN ask for the 75K bonus. I tried numerous times via email and phone to get the 75K offer and they wouldn't budge. I don't think it is worth it to apply just for 10K and then get denied for the 75k... at least is I know I am getting 25K it won't be so hard if they deny me the 75K....

So you happen to know the link? I went through Frugal Travelguys page and can't come up with it after repeated searches...
Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sargenet
I have been trying to find this link and do the same thing. All I can find is 10K links and didn't want to apply for that THEN ask for the 75K bonus. I tried numerous times via email and phone to get the 75K offer and they wouldn't budge. I don't think it is worth it to apply just for 10K and then get denied for the 75k... at least is I know I am getting 25K it won't be so hard if they deny me the 75K....

So you happen to know the link? I went through Frugal Travelguys page and can't come up with it after repeated searches...
Thanks
The method to do it was outline clearly on the unroadwarrior blog on boardingarea. However the boarding area site is down right now so can't give you the link
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:33 am

I went thru the points guy's blog...
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/01/2500...al-fee-waived/
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:53 pm

first off i have been a long time reader of ft. second i just wanted to say that i have two active gold cards one form October one from last month. both i applied for the 25k bonus. I got amex to credit me the extra 50k points on both accounts by secure messaging membership rewards. The second one took me like 10 messages till i got a new rep that was willing to do it so keep trying and dont give up.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Both my folks got it.
I feel lost here, but what does spg program have anything to do with 75k amex MR points?! what am I missing?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moebod
I feel lost here, but what does spg program have anything to do with 75k amex MR points?! what am I missing?
Looks like some folks are holders of the SPG AmEx card and were wondering if this will affect the chances to qualify for this 75K offer.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Looks like some folks are holders of the SPG AmEx card and were wondering if this will affect the chances to qualify for this 75K offer.
This.....
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Thanks.

Originally Posted by jperiod
I went thru the points guy's blog...
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/01/2500...al-fee-waived/
It really helps if I delete my cookies.... every time I tried different links it took me to 10K.... got that straight and have applied and been approved for the 25k....next step is to wait till it shows up on my account to email and ask for promo...

MYB821: which one did they give you a harder time on? The one you applied for last year or the newest one? Someone had stated that the offer didn't come out till April so I was wondering if that has something to do with it... also what did you tell them in your secure message? Did you include the offer number?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Any idea if this will work for upgrading a Corporate Charge Card (Green)??
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:49 pm

Applied today and was told that the reward is from Reward department, and only apply the 10k bonus, and was told from reward department, once i got the card and spend $500 and called them and provide the bonus id and they will provide me the rest of the 65k bonus.

Will see.. and keep everyone posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.