Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Arrow

Originally Posted by brasov02
Just want to try and get as definitive of an answer as possible on this before I grab yet another card...
I had pretty much decided against getting this card since I could find essentially no award availability on partner airlines on the BA website for flights, for example, from PDX-DCA or PDX-HNL or PDX-BOS...etc. (I'm essentially only concerned with domestic AA or Alaska flights) But then I hear the BA award search sucks for this type of thing and you should find the awards via the individual partner websites (where I can usually find plenty of availability) and then simply call BA with those flight details and they can access them. I think the PointsGuy has said that he has had around 90% success doing this. But then I've read posts (I think on this thread are some) of people who try this and BA simply says that just because you can see the awards on AA doesn't mean BA has access to them.
Are there many success stories of finding awards on AA or AS and calling BA to grab them? Failures? Is it actually a 90% success rate doing this?
I've already got plenty of miles already so no big loss if I pass on this deal but turning down an easy 100,000 miles is tough, especially if I realize later they would have been much easier to use then I had thought. If only I lived in Dallas!
IF the low tier award flights appear on AA...then you should be able to
book on BA's website at same award level. Or call BA and give them the flights available at low tier on AA.
NO intermediate or high tier seats can be booked using BA miles on AA or via BA website.
tj
Old May 1, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
Originally Posted by pkerr
Just an FYI... 700,000 miles where? The BA miles are not combinable with AA and the BA miles are only good for Milesaver awards. Not Anytime awards. Things I have found out since jumping on this bandwagon.
However, you can combine your wife's miles and yours for one big award but in order to do that you have to set up what they call a household account.
Whoops. Sorry long weekend. Ignored yard work took over. But yes these miles across multiple airlines multiple cards. CO, UA, AA and now BA.... Already used some of the AA miles to go to Hawaii next Feb. to KOA, back from OGG.

Just applied for my wife and she got approved also...
Old May 1, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
Got it, thanks for the tips. But CX is almost impossible to fly, I even try to book something like next Feb or Mar, only BA, JAL or JAL/CX available.

Originally Posted by Compfreak
The surcharge for JAL is significant higher than CX. Also, don't waste your miles flying JAL J class. It's a waste of miles.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by travelerjim
IF the low tier award flights appear on AA...then you should be able to
book on BA's website at same award level. Or call BA and give them the flights available at low tier on AA.
NO intermediate or high tier seats can be booked using BA miles on AA or via BA website.
tj
I wasn't aware of that. Makes sense. Thanks. (I rarely find an available award on BA using the same dates that I find awards on AA's website though. Guess a call would most likely be essential.)
Would Alaska awards follow the same pattern or do they have their own BA availability issues and protocols?
Old May 1, 2011, 7:33 pm

apply using ITIN

Does anyone have successfully applied this card using an ITIN? I tried and failed to submit (I do have a few other credit cards). The webpage complains about SSN should start with something less than 7XX and an ITIN starts with 9XX. I called Chase and they said they don't have a phone number to apply over the phone. Any suggestions on that? TIA!
Old May 2, 2011, 7:43 am

I had to call them for a recon. They said they will run me through the computer again. Today I have heard nothing from Chase but have an email from British Airways welcoming me to their Executive Club. Does that mean I'm in? I really hope they don't just enroll you anyway right?
Old May 2, 2011, 7:46 am

bait and switch? new to FT, so thank you for help

Looking at the fine print of the 100,00 bonus VISA Signature card application, it is stated that the applicant will automatically be considered for a Platinum card (without the same benefits...), if they don't qualify for a signature card. I would not want the platinum card. Has this happened to anyone?

Also, do I understand correctly by perusing FT, that taxes, surcharges, etc. can add up to well over $400. for a "free" miles award flight?
Old May 2, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by RedRiver
Uhhh... I think he meant 700,000 TOTAL miles through all of the different cards he applied for, not just AA miles. In fact, he didn't even mention AA miles in his post...
Your are right. Not sure why I brought AA into it. Must sleep more.
Old May 2, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by hae.
Looking at the fine print of the 100,00 bonus VISA Signature card application, it is stated that the applicant will automatically be considered for a Platinum card (without the same benefits...), if they don't qualify for a signature card. I would not want the platinum card. Has this happened to anyone?

Also, do I understand correctly by perusing FT, that taxes, surcharges, etc. can add up to well over $400. for a "free" miles award flight?
Can but don't have to. A good summary of the advantages/disadvantages of BA miles can be found here: http://thepointsguy.com/2011/05/brit...nds-on-friday/.

Very short answer: flying transatlantic to or through London will result in the highest level of fees, making redemption in that direction most sensible if you're booking in Club World (BA's business class) or First Class. Redeeming on some OneWorld partners for trips within the US or to South America will lessen those fees, sometimes dramatically. The ability to do stopovers (and not just overnight or a couple of days) can make a flight redemption much more valuable if you'd like to combine trips.

Creative thinking in the use of mileage earned (and not just through BA) is a skill that takes plenty of time to learn but that will definitely pay dividends.

And welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old May 2, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
i closed this 100K card in march

i closed this 100K card in march, after getting it in late 2009. when is it safe to apply for it AGAIN and get another 100K miles????????? note that i recently got a CO chase card.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bubb1
Glad to see yet another mega bonus here, I plan to jump in (along with my fiance) in a few weeks. The last 9 months have been nuts! 4x 75k AA, 2x 50k CO, 50k Amex, 2x 110k C1!
How did you get TWO 50K CO ???? Is one a business card? Or did you get one for your wife?
Old May 2, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by diclemeg
i closed this 100K card in march, after getting it in late 2009. when is it safe to apply for it AGAIN and get another 100K miles????????? note that i recently got a CO chase card.
Try reading the T&Cs on the application. Or at least the first few pages and last few pages of the thread. There you will found your answer is never. It's a first time cardholder bonus.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:22 pm

And welcome to FlyerTalk![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the answer and help!
I will apply.
Impressive that you keep up on all these frequent flyer arrangements....
Old May 2, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
See my previous posts:-)

I called today to cancel and had a wonderful discussion with a csr (who apparently had a lengthy discussion) with her supervisor about a certain customer who will cancel on the spot and go back to Cap1 as his primary card even with its "horrendous" customer service. Apparently, I am getting a letter confirming the main points of our discussion in 7 to 10 business days. I will have to see that letter to believe what she said. Oh, I made a note of her name and date/time of the call.

to be continued...

I will say more on the matter when I have more to say...

Hope mrpickles has left some coins for me to buy by the time I get the card and activate it
Old May 2, 2011, 2:59 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone use this card to purchase coins from the mint. i wanted to know if it was safe to do so.

Also, I was wondering if i can use these miles for flights to asia... every time i try im getting error... does anyone know off the bat how many miles to TPE?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.