Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz

Update 12/11/14- DO NOT USE THE PREFERRED ELITE LINK IN WIKI !!

Beginning December 2014 Barclays has a list of US Preferred Elite members and the computer will toss your application immediately, like in 2 seconds, if you're not a Preferred elite Dividend Miles member. AND you cannot apply for any Barclays card again for 30 days.

Because of the flurry of blogs advertising this link the past week, and because it worked in the (distant) past, I did this just today and, like others are saying now, every single one is rejected immediately. Everyone is getting rejected and barred for 30 days. DO NOT USE THAT LINK !

The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Update 3/5/13- Many people are getting denials and when phoning reconsideration finding it is because they are not Preferred or higher US members. No credit pulls are done when rejection is for this reason.

Update: 2/14/13- The Elite 40K link we've been using seems dead now.

In the meantime thanks to kdoughboy for the following 35K link with no 1st yr fee and bonus after first purchase:

LINK

(T&Cs at bottom)

See his post #2206 on page 148 for other links he found.

The above links seem to work even though you come to a "Sorry for technical difficulties" page. You can verify with the online status checker that it's submitted.

(The "trick" of opening a 35K link and then the old 40K link does not work. It appears your application is submitted and under consideration but in fact is non-existent.)

Update: 12/22/12

There is a new application link floating around some blogs that does not waive the annual fee or mention the 10K annual bonus. While it's nice to help blogs sometimes, that's a lot to give up. The application above is still the best.

Also some US applications have a spot for "employee number". It's not necessary to fill it in. People are getting approved and their miles after leaving it blank.

Update: 10/14/11

Churnable & Multiple Cards Approved
Can now confirm you can churn this card and even get a 2nd US Air card. I've had my US Air card for about 5 months and a Lufthansa card with $5K limit. Monday I closed the Lufthansa and tonight on phone with Barclays credit card approval hotline ( 866-408-4064 ) I was approved for 2nd US card. Said I needed to keep spending separated. They said no problem. (Thx milezjunkie for updated number!)

Fees for Balance Transfers continually vary on these apps so see what the current transfer fee is and whether it's worth the miles.

Yes it's just US Air and yes it's Barclays. But for those of us frozen out by Citi AA and maxed at Chase and AmEx, Barclays is another company to get a relationship with. Barclays usually pulls credit reports from TransUnion while others usually pull from Experian. Also for some of us (like DCA) US is the primary carrier.

US Air now has an waived-fee Dividend Miles card. That's extremely unusual for Barclays. The initial bonus after 1st use is 35K miles. Each anniversary 10K more miles is given ($89 annual fee). Although the application says it's for US elite members, anyone can use it.

My credit line was extended on the telephone to $11K so I could take full advantage of the $10K BT with one time $100 fee. The BT was transacted and my other account balance paid off within 3 days.

Holders of this credit card get 5K discounts on reward redemptions.

Holding the card restores expired miles in most situations on request.

US is a *Alliance member.

In addition:

*Earn 10,000 miles towards Dividend Miles Preferred status
*Up to two $99 companion tickets annually
*Preferred check-In
*Preferred Zone 2 boarding
*One complimentary US Airways Club day pass annually
*Discount on annual US Airways Club membership

Barclays is good to get a relationship with as they have many travel cards. I've been surprised at how pleasant they are on the telephone and how good their online account is.

There is also a no-fee US Air card which one can downgrade to after the first year to avoid the annual fee if the benefits of the regular card aren't useful.

There is a biz version of this card but it has a 25K bonus and the $79 fee must be paid. Better to get multiple personals.

Updates:
1. People getting approved only for the lower Platinum card are now getting the same 35K bonus as the World MasterCard.

2. Barclays seems to be pulling only TransUnion almost everyplace in US which is a Big Plus ! Chase & AmEx pull Experian & Equifax and most of us have many Experian pulls and no TransUnion pulls.

Last edited by tassojunior; Dec 19, 2014 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:02 pm

Link does not work. Keep in mind that the interest free transfer still has a $10/3% fee with it, whichever is greater.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by upgrader
Link does not work. Keep in mind that the interest free transfer still has a $10/3% fee with it, whichever is greater.
The BT fee maxes out at $100. On $10K that's just 1% BT fee and 0% interest for 6 months. Plus you get 10K miles for it.

Fixed link.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Yes it's just US Air and yes it's Barclays. But for those of us frozen out by Citi AA and maxed at Chase and AmEx, Barclays is another company to get a relationship with. Also for some of us (like DCA) US is the primary carrier.

US Air now has an waived-fee Dividend Miles card. That's extremely unusual for Barclays. The initial bonus after 1st use is 25K miles. Each anniversary 10K more miles is given ($89 annual fee).

In addition:

*Earn 10,000 miles towards Dividend Miles Preferred status
*Up to two $99 companion tickets annually
*Preferred check-In
*Preferred Zone 2 boarding
*One complimentary US Airways Club day pass annually
*Discount on annual US Airways Club membership

If you have a US Air account it is best to log in and look for promotions to find this application.

Otherwise here is a link and you can verify terms on the telephone:

LINK

Hopefully someone can devise a link directly to the promo page.

Also, since this confuses some people, the 10K miles towards preferred status are not extra miles but instead are miles you have earned via credit card purchases and switch from regular miles to preferred.

For example when you reach $25K in purchases before the end of the year then 10K miles that are already in your account will now count towards status. You balance of redeemable miles will not increase by 10K.

Last edited by richinaz; Feb 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm Reason: Deleted link since other link has better offer
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Barclays is good to get a relationship with as they have many travel cards. I've been surprised at how pleasant they are on the telephone and how good their online account is.

I have no idea whether churning or coins are possible.
You will find many, many opinions to the contrary about Barclays customer service in the US forum. My experiences with them have been OK, but I do have some occasional frustrations with their fraud detection. Less so in the last year or two.

You will also find reports in the US forum of inability to churn these cards (e.g., Barclays will decline subsequent credit apps if you are an existing or prior card holder). It seems that you can get the personal card and also the business card without much trouble, but churning either might not work.

As I indicated, I've held their card for a few years with no big trouble, but YMMV. I have the unadvertised World Elite version.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: United 1K
Thanks OP. Great deal - the link worked for me and just signed up and got approved on-line.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richinaz
Another link is:
http://www.mostmiles.com/mvt/

Also, since this confuses some people, the 10K miles towards preferred status are not extra miles but instead are miles you have earned via credit card purchases and switch from regular miles to preferred.

For example when you reach $25K in purchases before the end of the year then 10K miles that are already in your account will now count towards status. You balance of redeemable miles will not increase by 10K.
Thanks but that link does not have the annual fee waived and says the required spend is $750 while the one in the promo US Air page has "after 1st purchase" and "fee waived first year". The link I gave has in the T&C fee waived 1st year. (In fact the one I had applied under also said $750 spend but I got my miles after my first purchase).

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 10, 2011 at 2:13 pm
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: Too many to list
How is there award travel from non east coast cities?
Is it going to be just like Delta and ask for 35K for domestic flight?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:36 pm

Regarding churning. Last year my wife lost her miles because I thought I had spent something on her card and didn't, so they weren't extended. She was able to cancel her card, get a new one to restore the lost miles and got the bonus miles with the new card. So that churn worked.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
i got this card maybe 4 years ago, when it was branded by juniper (a barclay's subsidiary I believe). what would the odds be that i'd get the bonus again?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:02 pm

For those who applied, can you check to see what Credit Bureau they pulled? Did they pull one or two or even 3?

For California, they usually pull TransUnion and maybe a second CR (like Equifax), sometimes 3rd. I'm deciding whether or not to apply depending on how they pull credit.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:07 pm

Anyone have experience churning this card?

I had this card previously..the interface for online statements/payment is clunky and outdated. I also had problems with Mastercard generally....lots of false positive fraud checkups which resulted in embarrassing denials (even though I was far from my limit)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
How is there award travel from non east coast cities?
Is it going to be just like Delta and ask for 35K for domestic flight?
I'm not familiar with Delta.

I'm not located on the east coast (I live in Arizona) and it cost 125,000 miles for a first class reward ticket to FRA. The route was on US Airways from PHX-IAH and then on Lufthansa IAH-FRA. Business class on Star Alliance partners is 100,000.

If you fly US Airways metal you can find cheaper rewards via the credit card and off peak awards (such as 55K business to Europe R/T in certain winter months).

Like any other program if you are flexible you can find some rewards, if not YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Besides getting 5K off awards having the card US has off-peak awards too. Europe in Jan. & Feb. for 35K rt and RIO in May and October for 35K RT. That's 30K Roundtrip for card holders.

I just did a check for May DCA to GIG (Rio) and found plenty of US flight availability for 30K roundtrip !

The flight to Rio goes thru Charlotte.

Last edited by tassojunior; Jun 17, 2011 at 8:49 am
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:44 pm

Now it makes sense. Last month I wrote and asked if they would waive my annual fee because otherwise I would cancel. They wrote back and said currently they had no cards without annual fees but told me to check back next month... Time to write them again and see what they can offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.