Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated]Advice for large annual spend

Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I currently am using a Delta Skymiles AMEX gold card for between $750,000 and $1,000,000 of business purchases per year. I was given Delta Silver Medallion status this year as a "reward". I do very little if any business travel and no international travel. I travel once or twice per year with the family on vacations, always on award tickets.

I also have a Capital One Venture Visa but the limit is lower which precludes using it for the larger monthly charges plus the mileage burn is high BUT, I get two for 1 points (2 points for each $).

I am seeking advice on what card to perhaps switch some of this spending over to so that I can obtain hotel/resort free stays to allow additional travel during the year. I am usually going out of Atlanta so Delta is always the preferred airline but I am not stuck on them. Additionally, for another card to make sense I need for it to be able to carry a pretty hefty limit to handle the monthly business charges.

The SPG card looks like it has pretty good hotel awards but for vacation type properties the pickings are not extensive. Delta offers vacations packages but the required mileage burn looks to be pretty hefty. This however is where my limited knowledge comes in. I don't know what is considered a preferential cost in terms of required miles.

Any advice from you weathered travelers out there is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Have you looked into the other Amex cards like the regular Business Amex Platinum/Gold?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Since I have great experience as a high roller, I'll answer (Just Kidding).

I would imagine that you'd be eligible for the AMEX Centurian card...the black AMEX card for high spenders. I can't remember what all you get, but it is far more than the now little more than symbolic Silver Medallion status.

Alternatively, you might want to spread your spending over several cards. The annual fees would be fairly trivial compared to the level of spending you describe.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Centurion Card. I'm surprised with spending of that level on a credit (not charge) card with AMEX, that you have not been offered one. Fee is high but the benefits are great from status and perks. Plus you can transfer Member Rewards points to any program that you wish to use. Also, the fee is usually a deduction for business expense.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by toddreg
I am seeking advice on what card to perhaps switch some of this spending over to so that I can obtain hotel/resort free stays to allow additional travel during the year.
If you can live with the Starwood brands and they have properties where you want to go, the SPG Amex would be an excellent product for you. If you can't use that many points for hotel stays (Cat 5, typically a $200-$250 room rate, is 10K points/night) there's excellent convertability into a great many airline programs, and even Amtrak.

(Not sure what this has to do with Delta.)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Since I have great experience as a high roller, I'll answer (Just Kidding).

I would imagine that you'd be eligible for the AMEX Centurian card...the black AMEX card for high spenders. I can't remember what all you get, but it is far more than the now little more than symbolic Silver Medallion status.
You get DL Gold for being a Centurian IIRC. Is that worth a $5000 initiation with $2500 annual fee? Only OP can answer.

That many Starpoints would get you some pretty killer vacations at the St Regis in Bora Bora
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:49 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
If you go with an AA card, you'll rack up lifetime platinum status in year 2. Not sure how much that is worth to the OP, though.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
The reality is, if your primary mission is DL miles - you'd be better off with a regular AMEX card.

This always allows you to convert membership rewards into DL miles at 1x1 (and most of the times, there is a promo that can get you anywhere from a 25-50% kicker on that)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
i always use my AMEX card as a negotiating tool. I offer to run a major expense through my AMEX card, or I offer to pay cash with a 4% discount. They usually take the cash, I get the discount and make a bigger profit. Take the saved money and pay for vacations that way.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:53 pm

I currently am using a Delta Skymiles AMEX gold card for between $750,000 and $1,000,000 of business purchases per year. I was given Delta Silver Medallion status this year as a "reward". I do very little if any business travel and no international travel. I travel once or twice per year with the family on vacations, always on award tickets.

I also have a Capital One Venture Visa but the limit is lower which precludes using it for the larger monthly charges plus the mileage burn is high BUT, I get two for 1 points (2 points for each $).

I am seeking advice on what card to perhaps switch some of this spending over to so that I can obtain hotel/resort free stays to allow additional travel during the year. I am usually going out of Atlanta so Delta is always the preferred airline but I am not stuck on them. Additionally, for another card to make sense I need for it to be able to carry a pretty hefty limit to handle the monthly business charges.

The SPG card looks like it has pretty good hotel awards but for vacation type properties the pickings are not extensive. Delta offers vacations packages but the required mileage burn looks to be pretty hefty. This however is where my limited knowledge comes in. I don't know what is considered a preferential cost in terms of required miles.

Oh dear! Are you married? I have lots of ideas for annual spending of $1,000,000

Last edited by Shena Nigans; Feb 8, 2011 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
If you can get the Centurion card that will give you elite status with multiple airlines including DL & AA. And It's GOLD not Silver status. This card, while they say is invitation only, can be requested if you call Amex.

The Platinum Amex card is also nice and far less expensive. If you're spending 750k-1Mil a year the membership rewards points will add up. These can be used for virtually anything. Including travel, dining, etc. Also, the Platinum card has a great concierge service. As long as you know their limits, they are very helpful.

Both of these cards will give you more perks than just the Delta card alone.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:08 pm

US Bank Flexperks might be an option . I had a very generous limit from them. A $1,000,000 spend would give you $11,200 spend for airfare, hotel, etc. I believe they use Travelocity so you redeem for revenue tickets.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by motytrah
US Bank Flexperks might be an option . I had a very generous limit from them. A $1,000,000 spend would give you $11,200 spend for airfare, hotel, etc. I believe they use Travelocity so you redeem for revenue tickets.
Flexperks service is awful though. If you are sinking in your rewards points into a credit card, choose the one with service second to none. Flexperks service doesnt come close to what I have experienced in the past with the majors (Citi, Amex, etc.)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
We were doing $2M a year at my old employer on the AMEX and they gave him a hard time aboug getting a Centurion card. The first 2 times he asked he was turned down, so the OP may not qualify. I believe the requirement, though they don't admit it, is $1M a year on the card for 2 years, and of course perfect payment, etc.

My company uses AMEX Plat for me (before I made DM I used it for club access when traveling) and AMEX Gold for the other 3 people with company cc's. We charge $30k - $50k a month on the card right now. I love having the flexibility of have the Membership Reward points because they can transfer easily.

If the OP has a lot banked, wait for a 25% or 30% bonus for xfer points to AA, then move over 2M points - he'll be Platinum with AA lifetime (mid-level tier, comparable to Gold on DL).

Ultimately that's a ton of points to use on AA so hopefully he's got some Intl destinations he'd like to go to.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

I run about 200k but even a $1 or $2 million I would be as much STARWOOD as I can!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.