Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Hacking Cartel

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
i paid for the deluxe subscription for a couple of months, and found nothing new - now i can't find any way on their site to give feedback and try to get any of my money back - does anyone have any contact information?

tia!

Here is the email address I used to succesfully cancel my subscription...

[email protected]
Old May 31, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Aren't we part of the LARGEST Travel Hacking Cartel anywhere in the world
Old May 31, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
Aren't we part of the LARGEST Travel Hacking Cartel anywhere in the world

Amen.
Old May 31, 2011, 4:38 pm

My wife buys salad by the bag, even if it is just the lettuce. I buy the head of lettuce and chop it up.

We agree to disagree about the other's approach.

FT vs 'packagers', seems the same dispute to me.

Last edited by traderjo; May 31, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Old May 31, 2011, 4:42 pm

"Getting your FlyerTalk Premium upgrade is easy - all you have to do is subscribe to the online edition of InsideFlyer magazine (a subscription only costs $12/year)!"
Done.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by TennisPro
Here is the email address I used to succesfully cancel my subscription...

[email protected]
I myself have a complaint regarding this site, its customer service, and also its claims..
I signed up for the free trial… during the first 3 days, emails were plentiful, with tips, trickls, deals, etc.. after that they just stopped.. the deals that were being promoted were basically crap –shoots.. forcing you to use wrong postal codes, phone number pre-fixes..etc…
Some of the deals popping up were already all over the internet...
Then it gets interesting: I decided to cancel.. I initiated the cancellation process 3 times.. only to get HTTP errors each time….i tried to send an email, but didn’t get a response at all.. I finally had to do some digging and found another website that had a contact link..
I sent an email, but didn’t receive a response for 2 days…promising to credit me since the site was down and I was unable to complete the cancellation…sound good so far..but that’s not the case..
Its been 19 days since I tried to cancel.. and multiple emails have been exchanged between Chris and myself..to no avail..
I have asked for my credit, and all I get are snippy one line replies.. especially from someone who is able to hammer out such great articles and reasons to spend money every month to get basically the same free deals that are available on every free travel forums out there…
To date, I have not received my refund, nor any further replies to my emails asking for confirmation from his merchant account showing that he even issued a credit…he may have gotten the hacking part wrong, but the cartel aspect seems to fit the bill…
I have wasted/lost/ more than 25 bucks more than once in the past…so this isn’t a shocking circumstance…
But what I will say is that Chris seems to think that this will just go away.. and he is wrong.. it’s a matter of principle now.. my bank offered to issue a “courtesy credit” to me when I called and explained the story to them.. and I declined it…they shouldn’t have to make this right…Chris needs to..or step up and say that he has no intention of providing the refund.. either way, I’m patient…in a few days I can demand my bank to backcharge him, or have allowed sufficient time to initiate a BBB complaint..
Save your money: stick with www.flyertalk.com
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, a bunch of junk on a bunch of airlines
Originally Posted by trinicarpenter
Then it gets interesting: I decided to cancel.. I initiated the cancellation process 3 times.. only to get HTTP errors each time….i tried to send an email, but didn’t get a response at all.. I finally had to do some digging and found another website that had a contact link..
Wow, that's really bad. If enough people challenge the charges on their credit cards, the banks will eventually notice. He could lose his merchant account.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by quixx23
Wow, that's really bad. If enough people challenge the charges on their credit cards, the banks will eventually notice. He could lose his merchant account.

I ended up having to do a chargeback. He cancelled my subscription, but still charged me for a month, even though I was within the free refund period.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sounds pretty sleazy. Free trial period seems pretty self explanatory. I'd probably contact Wendy Perrin about it, since she pimped it in the first place.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Sounds pretty sleazy. Free trial period seems pretty self explanatory. I'd probably contact Wendy Perrin about it, since she pimped it in the first place.

IIRC, the free trial period was 14 days when I signed up. As I recall, I canceled on Day 13. By the time the cancel was processed, it was after Day 14, and I got charged. Worse, I emailed him to explain this, but got a one sentence middle-finger response, that I don't remember exactly.

So, I did a chargeback. If he keeps doing this, his merchant account may be canceled, so I hope he learned to just suck it up, and honor any cancel requests as part of doing business.

I actually like his books, but this left me doubting his integrity.

Also, I don't think many flyertalkers, or folks who read blogs like FTG, pointsguy, etc, would benefit much, if at all.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Save your money

Visit daily:
FT MilesBuzz forum
www.boardingarea.com
thepointsguy.com
frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com

You'll find 95% of the good deals that way
+1

Unless you are too lazy to do your homework.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by zerafa
+1

Unless you are too lazy to do your homework.

Even if you just read one of those blogs, you'll get info on as many deals or more, and it will take about the same amount of time to read.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Amex Plat
I had the same experience as many others are far as the information on this the travel hacking cartel. Joined back in July, but soon realized that the bloggers and flyertalk.com had much better info available regarding the good deals out there, for free.
No issues cancelling through the link on the website but also cancelled after the first week.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, HH Gold, PCR Platinum,US
No issues here either. Was able to cancel subscription without hassle. Found FT and other blogs with much more information. Although at the time I signed up I was new to collecting miles and needed some direction.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjkpartsman
No issues here either. Was able to cancel subscription without hassle. Found FT and other blogs with much more information. Although at the time I signed up I was new to collecting miles and needed some direction.
Exactly in the same boat as you. Found the site helpful since I was just starting but after discovering FT and the various blogs, cancelled my membership with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.