Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Details in my Citi/AAdvantage Credit Statement:

A special Offer for Citi/AAdvantage Credit Cardmembers. Apply Today!

Earn up to 40,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after you open a Citibank regular checking and savings account and perform qualifying activities.

1) To qualify for 20,000 Advantage bonus miles, open a new regular checking account in the Citibank or Citigold account package by 10/31/10.

2) Within 60 days of account opening, make at least: 1 direct deposit, 2 electronic bill payments or 5 or more debit card purchases for 2 consecutive months.

3) To qualify for another 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, deposit a minimum of $25,000 by 10/31/10 in new money (funds that are not from another account at Citibank or affiliate of Citi) to a new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account. Then, complete one of the above qualifying activities for the regular checking account for an additional third month.

To earn your AAdvantage bonus miles, use code C22D when you:

Visit any Citibank branch or call 1-866-422-1458 or go to offer.citibank.com.

Expires: October 31, 2010.

Seems slightly different (and less time consuming) than the previous Citibank checking offer, and has a bigger reward.

PROMOTION DISCLOSURE

Promotion Code: C22D

When you applied for your new checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold account relationship package and/or Citibank Savings Plus account, special offer code C22D was included to enable you to receive 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles for your new checking relationship and 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles for funding your new or existing Savings relationship. Below are the terms and conditions that you must meet in order to obtain the benefits of this special offer.

Terms and Conditions

Terms and conditions of accounts, products, programs and services are subject to change. This offer is available to Citi/AAdvantage credit card members who receive this communication.

1. To qualify for 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, open a new regular checking account in The Citibank Account or Citigold account package by 10/31/10. You must then begin performing at least 1 direct deposit to, or at least 2 electronic bill payments from, or 5 or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for 2 consecutive months. You must begin performing these qualifying account activities within 60 days of account opening.
2. You can also qualify for an additional AAdvantage bonus miles by making a deposit of $25,000 or more of new to Citibank money into a new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account linked to your regular checking account by 10/31/10. You must also complete at least 1 direct deposit to, or at least 2 electronic bill payments from or 5 or more debit card purchases from, the linked checking account for an additional (third) month.

Electronic bill payments are those you make using Citibank Online, Citi MobileSM or CitiPhone Banking, excluding transfer payments made to accounts with Citibank or its affiliates. Accounts are subject to approval, terms and fees. Existing checking customers not eligible for checking offer. Offers may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expire 10/31/10, are not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Limit of one of each offer per customer. Participation limited to citizens and resident aliens of the U.S. with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. Customer is responsible for any taxes. The 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles increments will be credited to your AAdvantage account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all qualifying requirements stated in this offer. Your Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold account package and Citi/AAdvantage credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the AAdvantage bonus miles are posted to your AAdvantage account.

Personal Experience:

10/12/2010: Received confirmation from Citibank CSR that I fulfilled the terms of the offer with 5 debit pin based transactions in September, and 6 credit in October. He noted that the offer "does not specify whether the debit card transactions must be a signature (credit) transaction or a PIN based (debit) transaction." Credit transactions that were made near the end of September but did not post to my account until October were apparently counted as October purchases. YMMV.

Last edited by godlovesugly; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:54 am Reason: Updating for others
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:20 am
In memoriam

Sadly, this is a targeted offer.

Apparently you have to have gotten the offer with the Citi AA card statement.

Sad, because I was ready to jump. Even though I already have a Citi checking account.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: AA
Crap, I just applied for 20k aa miles Citi checking 5 days ago. Is this promotion for brand new customers? Is it possible I can open another checking using the promotion code? or maybe if I call CSR they might do something for me?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
3) To qualify for another 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, deposit a minimum of $25,000 by 10/31/10 in new money (funds that are not from another account at Citibank or affiliate of Citi) to a new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account.
Does this generally mean $25k total, or $25k cumulative? Could you deposit $12.5, withdraw it and redeposit it to meet the $25k requirements?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
more details on this offer

Here are the promotion disclosures I found online with the application. Same as what godlovesugly posted, but with the additional info that Citi may take up to 90 days after the conditions are met before posting miles. So, with this deal it could easily be 5-6 months before you see the miles.
Also, Citibank requires a $6000 minimum balance, otherwise monthly fees are $9.50 or $12.50.
In the other thread about the previous similar offer, many people are reporting hassles and delays in getting their miles posted.
So, this deal appears easier to fulfill, but not a slamdunk to me.

PROMOTION DISCLOSURE

Promotion Code: C22D

When you applied for your new checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold account relationship package and/or Citibank Savings Plus account, special offer code C22D was included to enable you to receive 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles for your new checking relationship and 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles for funding your new or existing Savings relationship. Below are the terms and conditions that you must meet in order to obtain the benefits of this special offer.

Terms and Conditions

Terms and conditions of accounts, products, programs and services are subject to change. This offer is available to Citi/AAdvantage credit card members who receive this communication.

1. To qualify for 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, open a new regular checking account in The Citibank Account or Citigold account package by 10/31/10. You must then begin performing at least 1 direct deposit to, or at least 2 electronic bill payments from, or 5 or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for 2 consecutive months. You must begin performing these qualifying account activities within 60 days of account opening.
2. You can also qualify for an additional AAdvantage bonus miles by making a deposit of $25,000 or more of new to Citibank money into a new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account linked to your regular checking account by 10/31/10. You must also complete at least 1 direct deposit to, or at least 2 electronic bill payments from or 5 or more debit card purchases from, the linked checking account for an additional (third) month.

Electronic bill payments are those you make using Citibank Online, Citi MobileSM or CitiPhone Banking, excluding transfer payments made to accounts with Citibank or its affiliates. Accounts are subject to approval, terms and fees. Existing checking customers not eligible for checking offer. Offers may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expire 10/31/10, are not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Limit of one of each offer per customer. Participation limited to citizens and resident aliens of the U.S. with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. Customer is responsible for any taxes. The 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles increments will be credited to your AAdvantage account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all qualifying requirements stated in this offer. Your Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold account package and Citi/AAdvantage credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the AAdvantage bonus miles are posted to your AAdvantage account.

Checking accounts are offered by Citibank, N.A., an affiliate of Citibank (South Dakota), N.A., the bank that issues your credit card.

2010 Citibank. Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC. Citibank, Citigold, Citi with Arc Design are registered service marks of Citigroup Inc.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Sadly, this is a targeted offer.

Apparently you have to have gotten the offer with the Citi AA card statement.

Sad, because I was ready to jump. Even though I already have a Citi checking account.
Sorry! Did not realize it was targeted, the code seemed similar to past Citi offerings.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:42 am

I was able to start the process using the code - C22D, so it may not be targeted. I didn't complete my application because I want to gather more info before I do, but I think it will work for me. Since it's a long holiday weekend, no applications can be processed until Tuesday anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
So I assume one needs to keep an average balance of $6,000 in the checking account to avoid the monthly fee, as the case with the other 20k offer?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:59 pm

$6,000 balance can come from citibank credit card balances

with regard to the $6,000 minimum balance to avoid fees, this amount can also come from any citibank credit cards you may have. you do NOT need to maintain a $6,000 balance in this checking account to qualify for fee waiver. there are a few ineligible citibank credit cards, but the usual suspects (AA) seem to all be valid.

even if you pay off your balance in full each month, as long as the cumulative average monthly balance from ALL of your citibank cards exceeds $6,000, you should be ok.

here's the details.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:33 pm

Thanks for that link cabrits. It looks as if we can put the $6000 in savings, CDs, other investments, loans and more. Many choices that I didn't know about before.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:18 pm

I already have a checking account with citi. Do they allow you to open a second? Also, I wonder how long you have to keep the 25k in the savings account to be awarded the extra bonus miles.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
I already have a checking account with citi. Do they allow you to open a second? Also, I wonder how long you have to keep the 25k in the savings account to be awarded the extra bonus miles.
Yup - I'm in the same boat. I'd open another Citi checking account for this, if I can. Maybe I'll try next week.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:27 pm

reading the fine print

I discovered that Citi will increase the monthly fee for their checking accounts to $20.00 starting Nov. 1. This makes keeping at least $6000 in combined accounts more important:

The following fee changes apply to monthly maintenance fees and transaction fees for activity conducted during the entire statement
period beginning with statements issued November 1, 2010:
Monthly maintenance fee for Regular and Interest Checking, money market accounts and savings accounts will increase to
$20.00.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cabrits
with regard to the $6,000 minimum balance to avoid fees, this amount can also come from any citibank credit cards you may have. you do NOT need to maintain a $6,000 balance in this checking account to qualify for fee waiver. there are a few ineligible citibank credit cards, but the usual suspects (AA) seem to all be valid.

even if you pay off your balance in full each month, as long as the cumulative average monthly balance from ALL of your citibank cards exceeds $6,000, you should be ok.

here's the details.
Are you sure the credit card balance does not mean Revolving Balance? The wording says Outstanding Balance but does that mean it has to be Outstanding at all time? (because once you pay in full by due day you no longer have an Outstanding Balance!)

Better to keep $6000 in the Citi saving account or CD as they count in the combined balance required.

Though I dont have high hope in getting the miles posted as promised - the checking account bonuses of any kind from Citi have had notorious history from previous offers to get the bonus posted in the promised time frame.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Happy
Are you sure the credit card balance does not mean Revolving Balance? The wording says Outstanding Balance but does that mean it has to be Outstanding at all time? (because once you pay in full by due day you no longer have an Outstanding Balance!)

Better to keep $6000 in the Citi saving account or CD as they count in the combined balance required.
Yeah, there's some ambiguity with the credit card balance, so I think I'll just front the $6,000 to be sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.