Wiki Posts
Search

Planning rewards trip to Tahiti or Maldive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Planning rewards trip to Tahiti or Maldive

Dear expert travelers,

I am planning a 10-year anniversary trip in 2013 to either Bora Bora or Maldive. I live in Los Angeles and have family in Taiwan. If we go to Tahiti, we would probably just fly from LAX. If we go to Maldive, I am considering stopping by Taiwan to drop off the kids with the grandparents and then take round-trip flight from Taiwan to Maldive.

I have accumulated mileage and points with AA, United and SPG. I am also planning to accumulate Priority Club points via credit card sign-ups over the next year. And perhaps Hyatt credit card sign-up for the 2 free night stay certificate to use in Maldive.

Greatly appreciate advice regarding:
1. Award flight options from LAX to Bora Bora and LAX to Maldive (or to Taiwan)
2. Award hotel options in Tahiti or Maldive
3. Any other related info

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:13 pm

how many miles in each program do you have?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:01 am

Tahiti- TN flies LAX-PPT bookable with DL or AA miles
Maldives- CZ and MU fly CAN/KMG-MLE respectively. SQ also does SIN-MLE.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:42 pm

Here's what I would do, in your situation (knowing little to nothing about your situation).

You and the wife should each sign up for both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Hyatt Visa cards. The 50k bonus for each Sapphire card is good for 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Maldives. The Hyatt cards are (of course) good for 2 nights each, and the PH Maldives is currently going for 22k Hyatt points. So signing up for these cards will net you at least 8 nights at the $850+ hotel, and by the time you meet your spending requirements, you could potentially have enough points for 9 nights. If you'd like to stay longer, Hyatt Stay Certificates are available for $325, allowing you to save ~$800 per night if you decide to pay for your room.

In terms of airfare, flying AA via Europe provides excellent value (in coach) during the offseason. Here's what I would do (and, in fact, it's pretty close to what I AM doing in 2 weeks):

Fly LAX-ORD/JFK-CDG. Stop in Paris and spend a few days sightseeing or whatever (if you want).
Then fly CDG-AUH-MLE. There's a 12 hour transfer option that would allow you to spend the night in Abu Dhabi if you'd like to (I'm going to spend the night just to get the UAE stamp in my passport).
Return MLE-AUH-LHR. Spend some time in London if you'd like, but the real reason you do this is so that you can:
Fly LHR-LAX-Hawaii. Research the AA rules on stopping-over at the international gateway. In short, it costs just as many points to fly from Europe to LAX as it does to fly from Europe to Hawaii, and you're allowed to stop over indefinitely at LAX. The catch is that you'd have to make LAX your "international gateway" by securing seats on an LHR-LAX non-stop.

When I tried to book this last leg during my recent planning, I found no non-stop LHR-LAX availability (because I waited until the last minute). So I instead booked CDG-JFK(stop)-LAX-LIH, and bought a cheap (~$140) JFK-LAX ticket. This isn't the most cost-efficient way to do it, but since I've got family in NYC, it allows me to fly one-way to Hawaii for free in exchange for buying a round-trip LAX-NYC ticket to visit the family.

Hope this helps. You can PM me if you've got questions.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Is flying the grandparents to LA to watch the kids an option? It would make things easier. Ditch the kids for this trip. get priority club points for ic thalasso bora bora. Get Hilton for Conrad Maldives. Its hard to redeem hilton points at bora bora. Don't even consider using spg points at Sheraton full moon maldives.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
Here's what I would do, in your situation (knowing little to nothing about your situation).

You and the wife should each sign up for both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Hyatt Visa cards. The 50k bonus for each Sapphire card is good for 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Maldives. The Hyatt cards are (of course) good for 2 nights each, and the PH Maldives is currently going for 22k Hyatt points. So signing up for these cards will net you at least 8 nights at the $850+ hotel, and by the time you meet your spending requirements, you could potentially have enough points for 9 nights. If you'd like to stay longer, Hyatt Stay Certificates are available for $325, allowing you to save ~$800 per night if you decide to pay for your room.

In terms of airfare, flying AA via Europe provides excellent value (in coach) during the offseason. Here's what I would do (and, in fact, it's pretty close to what I AM doing in 2 weeks):

Fly LAX-ORD/JFK-CDG. Stop in Paris and spend a few days sightseeing or whatever (if you want).
Then fly CDG-AUH-MLE. There's a 12 hour transfer option that would allow you to spend the night in Abu Dhabi if you'd like to (I'm going to spend the night just to get the UAE stamp in my passport).
Return MLE-AUH-LHR. Spend some time in London if you'd like, but the real reason you do this is so that you can:
Fly LHR-LAX-Hawaii. Research the AA rules on stopping-over at the international gateway. In short, it costs just as many points to fly from Europe to LAX as it does to fly from Europe to Hawaii, and you're allowed to stop over indefinitely at LAX. The catch is that you'd have to make LAX your "international gateway" by securing seats on an LHR-LAX non-stop.

When I tried to book this last leg during my recent planning, I found no non-stop LHR-LAX availability (because I waited until the last minute). So I instead booked CDG-JFK(stop)-LAX-LIH, and bought a cheap (~$140) JFK-LAX ticket. This isn't the most cost-efficient way to do it, but since I've got family in NYC, it allows me to fly one-way to Hawaii for free in exchange for buying a round-trip LAX-NYC ticket to visit the family.

Hope this helps. You can PM me if you've got questions.
I like your Hyatt ideas but the flight routing your suggesting sounds exhausting. You don't want to tire your wife out. The connections to MLE are marginal from the US at least through Etihad.

Have you considered other options? Thailand is wonderful and accessible via direct or 1 connection flights from LAX. My wife and I are heading to Langkawi, Malaysia tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

How about Bali? There's a nice Intercon in Bali.

By way of the Priority Club 80K signup cards, those would set you up nicely if you did a card each for you and your wife (nice options in Bora Bora or the Maldives as well).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:35 am

Your best bet is using United miles from your situation.
1. LAX to Taiwan (multiple options)
2. Taiwan to Maldives (singapore airline) This is your free stopover (works for HKG too)
3. MLE to Lax (Singapore first leg, then multiple options)

This all for the same mileage they charge you to go to Asia.

1 Award 65,000 Miles

Additional Taxes/Fees $100.80

Total Price 65,000 Miles and $100.80

If you take the Europe route, going through Europe to Maldive it will cost you 80K. So combining an Asia trip with Maldives is perfect IMHO.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
The Hyatt cards are (of course) good for 2 nights each
I tiny bit off topic so I hope you'll forgive the question here. Do the 2 nights that get deposited into your Hyatt account expire or do they just sit there until you use them.

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by birdyy
I tiny bit off topic so I hope you'll forgive the question here. Do the 2 nights that get deposited into your Hyatt account expire or do they just sit there until you use them.

Thanks very much.
Never mind, found the answer.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
why not use spg cash+points in full moon

Originally Posted by yoonny
Don't even consider using spg points at Sheraton full moon maldives.
Can anyone please explain why this is so?

Me and my wife are planning on going to Maldives next year and use spg cash + points (8000 points + 150$ night) for our stay there. is that a bad redemption/deal.

I would really appreciate if someone could kindly take the time to explain this.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by ketelone
Don't even consider using spg points at Sheraton full moon maldives.
Can anyone please explain why this is so?

Me and my wife are planning on going to Maldives next year and use spg cash + points (8000 points + 150$ night) for our stay there. is that a bad redemption/deal.

I would really appreciate if someone could kindly take the time to explain this.
I would like to know as well.

Perhaps they were referring to just using points, and the general consensus that the Sheraton property is not nearly as nice as the others.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the excellent idea.

I would love to take an extended trip via Europe, then to Maldives, however, it would be too exhausting at this time with our young children and also would be difficult to take so much time off from work.

If we decide on Bora Bora, we will have grandparents come to watch the kids in LA.

Originally Posted by windcloud5
Your best bet is using United miles from your situation.
1. LAX to Taiwan (multiple options)
2. Taiwan to Maldives (singapore airline) This is your free stopover (works for HKG too)
3. MLE to Lax (Singapore first leg, then multiple options)

This all for the same mileage they charge you to go to Asia.

1 Award 65,000 Miles

Additional Taxes/Fees $100.80

Total Price 65,000 Miles and $100.80

If you take the Europe route, going through Europe to Maldive it will cost you 80K. So combining an Asia trip with Maldives is perfect IMHO.

If Maldive, I agree we prefer flying via Asia. However, we would still need to fly from Maldives back to Taiwan to pick-up the kids. I was just going to use award redemption for 2 adults+ 2 kids from LAX-Taiwan and pay out of pocket for 2 adult tickets from Taiwan-Maldive.

Is there a way to redeem award flights integrating in Maldive (Taiwan as the stop-over)?

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
I would like to know as well.

Perhaps they were referring to just using points, and the general consensus that the Sheraton property is not nearly as nice as the others.
Let me explain....
The OP is looking for a very special place for a 10 yr anniversary trip. When you imagine Maldives or Bora Bora, you picture a place that is romantic, exotic, pristine, special, different, etc. etc. At least that is what I imagined and I (and Mrs. Y) went to the Maldives for the first time this year. We did cash & points for 2 nights @ Sheraton Full Moon and moved on to Conrad Maldives for a longer stay. While we didn't set high expectations for Sheraton (based on reviews), we still believed since it is in Maldives, it should be somewhat special. We were both really disappointed at the lack of specialness, atmosphere, very average beach, dead corals, bad food, etc. etc. To travel half way around the world to a place like Maldives and staying @ the very average Sheraton the entire time would have been incredibly disappointing to us. If you travel this far, I would spend the extra money to fly to a more exotic place like Conrad to truly experience the Maldives that you picture in your mind.

If you are happy with just an average resort then Sheraton would be fine and might serve the purpose. But to me, it is definitely not a once in a lifetime type of place.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sheraton full moon or Holiday inn maldives

Let me explain....
The OP is looking for a very special place for a 10 yr anniversary trip. When you imagine Maldives or Bora Bora, you picture a place that is romantic, exotic, pristine, special, different, etc. etc. At least that is what I imagined and I (and Mrs. Y) went to the Maldives for the first time this year. We did cash & points for 2 nights @ Sheraton Full Moon and moved on to Conrad Maldives for a longer stay. While we didn't set high expectations for Sheraton (based on reviews), we still believed since it is in Maldives, it should be somewhat special. We were both really disappointed at the lack of specialness, atmosphere, very average beach, dead corals, bad food, etc. etc. To travel half way around the world to a place like Maldives and staying @ the very average Sheraton the entire time would have been incredibly disappointing to us. If you travel this far, I would spend the extra money to fly to a more exotic place like Conrad to truly experience the Maldives that you picture in your mind.

If you are happy with just an average resort then Sheraton would be fine and might serve the purpose. But to me, it is definitely not a once in a lifetime type of place.
First of all, apologies for hijacking the thread.

Yoony,
thank you for explaining in detail why Sheraton might not be correct for OP.

However, me and my wife were trying to do Maldives at the cheapest cost (therefore mainly with points). We eliminated Conrad Rangali Island specifically for the expensive transfer via seaplane (somewhere around 500$/person as far as I remember). Since there will be 4 of us, thats already 2 grand just for transfer.

If you were given the option of EITHER

Sheraton full moon resort
OR
Holiday Inn Maldives (Kandooma Fushi resort)

which one would you suggest? these are our only 2 options for next year. we got enough points for cash+points for either one for 4 people.

p.s. If it helps, Maldives is not going to be once a lifetime for me or wife because I visit Central Asia region once a year and plenty of opportunities to tack on a Maldives trip another time. We just want to do it as economically as possible for this next year trip.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Here are some reviews for the Sheraton
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Originally Posted by ketelone
First of all, apologies for hijacking the thread.

Yoony,
thank you for explaining in detail why Sheraton might not be correct for OP.

However, me and my wife were trying to do Maldives at the cheapest cost (therefore mainly with points). We eliminated Conrad Rangali Island specifically for the expensive transfer via seaplane (somewhere around 500$/person as far as I remember). Since there will be 4 of us, thats already 2 grand just for transfer.

If you were given the option of EITHER

Sheraton full moon resort
OR
Holiday Inn Maldives (Kandooma Fushi resort)

which one would you suggest? these are our only 2 options for next year. we got enough points for cash+points for either one for 4 people.

p.s. If it helps, Maldives is not going to be once a lifetime for me or wife because I visit Central Asia region once a year and plenty of opportunities to tack on a Maldives trip another time. We just want to do it as economically as possible for this next year trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.