Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:26 pm

'Direct deposit' definition

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer in other related threads either.
Does a $$$ transfer from another bank to the Citi account qualify as a direct deposit (e.g., from BofA or ING), or is that in a different category such as a wire transfer, for example?
The friendly lady who helped me open the account today said that such a transfer would not qualify, and I agree.
Just wanted to confirm though, thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
Fees waived for first 3 months?

According to my local banker, the account under the C22D promo that I signed up for online has monthly fees waived for 3 months; I do not need an average balance of $6K.

Has anyone else been given this information? Per the banker, after 3 months, the fee is $20/month.

Last edited by tima1212; Sep 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm Reason: Description
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
I just enrolled online. I'll let everyone know if and when I get my bonus
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by tima1212
According to my local banker, the account under the C22D promo that I signed up for online has monthly fees waived for 3 months; I do not need an average balance of $6K.

Has anyone else been given this information? Per the banker, after 3 months, the fee is $20/month.
I wasn't aware of that. My banker made no mention of that, but that the fee kicks in right away. Maybe she wasn't aware of it?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:56 am

Anyone with an existing checking account give it a shot at a branch?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Edited
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer in other related threads either.
Does a $$$ transfer from another bank to the Citi account qualify as a direct deposit (e.g., from BofA or ING), or is that in a different category such as a wire transfer, for example?
The friendly lady who helped me open the account today said that such a transfer would not qualify, and I agree.
Citi does not count transfers from another bank like ING as DD's. (by the way, BofA does consider transfers from other banks as DD's).

I have pondered doing this promo for myself for some time now. I dont want to close my existing Citi checking. It's a real pain for me

But my wife has never had any savings or checking at Citi and she just applied for the 100k Citi Visa. If that goes through, I will help her jump in this gig. She should hear about her pending approval this week.

-We will enter the promo code
-open the checking - and it DOES say you can fund it with a CC so... well... you know.
-put $100 in it
-do the transactions (use debit card, etc)
-open savings at same time
-put $25k in and let it sit there a few months.

I will take the $25k from the home EQ which happens to be in my name only with Citi. Transfer the $ to one of my other banks where we have a joint account, and have her transfer it into the savings or do how ever they need her to do it. (Actually, with her approval, I'll be doing pretty much all this stuff - online, mail, running around, printing pages of this promo as I go, etc. All she would ever need to do are phone calls if nec. I am going to see if we can pull this one off without any calls. It may not be possible but that's worth trying just to see )

I figure if we leave the $25k in the savings for say... 4 months or so max, we might spend $50 in interest on my home Eq line? I dunno but if I'm right, $50 for 20k miles aint so bad.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh
I use HSBC ACH transfer service for transfer to Citi and it DOES count as DD. Not sure if it makes a difference but it is a recurring transfer for $10.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:51 pm

I just opened this by phone, so we'll see how it goes. I have a USA and a regular checking already, but she said that didn't matter and that I was still eligible for both bonuses. I did the qualifying deposits with new money.

I asked about my AA number, and she said they match it up by social, which seems a bit weird since I would think they can't disclose my SSN. But I've gotten AA miles before from Citi, so maybe I'm just in their system.

She pulled most of my info from my existing profile. I just updated pieces here and there.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Watch the fees... I was hit with a $20 wire transfer fee for funding the account when I opened it! After much arguing it was reversed, but I can tell that I'm going to have to be very careful. I wonder if they have an "account closing fee" after 3 months?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by goldengate
Watch the fees... I was hit with a $20 wire transfer fee for funding the account when I opened it! After much arguing it was reversed, but I can tell that I'm going to have to be very careful. I wonder if they have an "account closing fee" after 3 months?
I asked constantly about the fees, and I was consistently told there were no fees. I'm not doing a wire, but there are no maintenance fees, and as far as closing the account, I've not had a problem with Citi before on that front.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I asked constantly about the fees, and I was consistently told there were no fees. I'm not doing a wire, but there are no maintenance fees, and as far as closing the account, I've not had a problem with Citi before on that front.
What is The Citibank Account?

It's a Citibank account Pricing Package that offers Interest or Regular Checking plus free services including online bill payment.

Here's a quick rundown:

Balance $100 minimum opening deposit1. To avoid monthly maintenance fees, you need to maintain a $6,000 combined average balance an easy goal to reach. Why? Because so many accounts go toward it: Checking, Savings, CDs, Money Market, Lines, Loans, Mortgage and Brokerage (to qualify, accounts must be linked to your ATM/Debit Card.)2
Monthly Maintenance Fee None if you meet the required balance. Otherwise, the fee is $9.50 for Regular Checking and $12 for Interest Checking (it's $12.50 for Regular Checking and $15 for Interest Checking in CA, NV, FL, IL, DC, VA and MD).
Per check fee Waived if you meet the required balance. If not, $.50 per check.
ATM Use No fee for use of Citibank ATMs. No fee for use of non-Citibank ATMs if you meet the required balance. If not, $1.50 per use.3
Fee Rebates Save up to $36 a year just by using Direct Deposit, Electronic Bill Payment or Automatic Deductions!4
Additional no-fee services4 Online bill payment, online bank statements, online check images, email and text banking alerts.

1.The minimum opening deposit applies to the checking account in The Citibank Account relationship package.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:36 pm

Thumbs up Thanks.

It didn't even occur to me to see if I could fund the account with my CC. I just cut a check on the spot. I'm getting rusty!
I just got the debit card in the mail today. I'll go through my 10 qualifying double espressos in no time.
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Citi does not count transfers from another bank like ING as DD's. (by the way, BofA does consider transfers from other banks as DD's).

I have pondered doing this promo for myself for some time now. I dont want to close my existing Citi checking. It's a real pain for me

But my wife has never had any savings or checking at Citi and she just applied for the 100k Citi Visa. If that goes through, I will help her jump in this gig. She should hear about her pending approval this week.

-We will enter the promo code
-open the checking - and it DOES say you can fund it with a CC so... well... you know.
-put $100 in it
-do the transactions (use debit card, etc)
-open savings at same time
-put $25k in and let it sit there a few months.

I will take the $25k from the home EQ which happens to be in my name only with Citi. Transfer the $ to one of my other banks where we have a joint account, and have her transfer it into the savings or do how ever they need her to do it. (Actually, with her approval, I'll be doing pretty much all this stuff - online, mail, running around, printing pages of this promo as I go, etc. All she would ever need to do are phone calls if nec. I am going to see if we can pull this one off without any calls. It may not be possible but that's worth trying just to see )

I figure if we leave the $25k in the savings for say... 4 months or so max, we might spend $50 in interest on my home Eq line? I dunno but if I'm right, $50 for 20k miles aint so bad.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I opened an account under this promo today. To avoid the fees (which goes up to $20 per month on Oct. 25, 2010), I am transferring a municipal bond to an investment account which will be linked to the Citibank account.
So, I should be getting 20000 miles for no cost - the way I like it ^

Thanks to all for their contributions to this and related threads.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:32 pm

call

who do you call? citibank banking customer service or credit card customer service? thanks.

Originally Posted by MattinAustin
I wasn't targeted but called and did the C22D offer over the phone. I received my packet with the Promotional Disclosure included today just FYI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.