Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:06 pm

I received this offer at the top of my first paper statement for my Citi AA card. I don't have any Citibank checking/savings accounts. Here's my plan:

1. Open a Citibank checking account and fund with the $100 minimum.

2. Simultaneously, open a Citibank savings account and fund with $25,000.

3. Make 5 small debit card purchases every month for the next 3 months (the total of all of the purchases will be less than the $100 I have put in the checking account).

This should be good for 40K miles, correct?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
Here are the promotion disclosures I found online with the application. Same as what godlovesugly posted, but with the additional info that Citi may take up to 90 days after the conditions are met before posting miles. So, with this deal it could easily be 5-6 months before you see the miles.
Also, Citibank requires a $6000 minimum balance, otherwise monthly fees are $9.50 or $12.50.
In the other thread about the previous similar offer, many people are reporting hassles and delays in getting their miles posted.
So, this deal appears easier to fulfill, but not a slamdunk to me.
I received this offer and responses like yours (and plenty other similar posts scattered among multiple threads) discourage me from even trying it. Seems like it's too much of a hassle and even after meeting all the conditions, the miles may never end up posting.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:50 pm

I stopped by a local branch and closed my banking account today. The rep who assisted me said their system keeps a person's social security number for 90 days. So within the 90 days from the closure of the last account in ci ti would be regarded as existing customer.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
I stopped by a local branch and closed my banking account today. The rep who assisted me said their system keeps a person's social security number for 90 days. So within the 90 days from the closure of the last account in ci ti would be regarded as existing customer.
Hmmmm, thanks for the info. Wonder if this carries over to citi cards, as in, SS number kept in the system for 90 days and then you're no longer an "existing" customer.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:45 pm

I wasn't targeted but called and did the C22D offer over the phone. I received my packet with the Promotional Disclosure included today just FYI.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MattinAustin
I wasn't targeted but called and did the C22D offer over the phone. I received my packet with the Promotional Disclosure included today just FYI.

did you recv'e the packet before, after, or with the ATM card? I recv'd the ATM card and so far no packet
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

When one of these offers requires five debit card transactions, do they mean pin based, credit swipes, or either? Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
When one of these offers requires five debit card transactions, do they mean pin based, credit swipes, or either? Thanks!
pin based
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:30 am

I opened the checking account online and received my debit card and checks. When I attempted to activate the debit card, I was told the account had been closed as "customer has exceeded credit card funding limits".
This account was not funded by credit card. I did fund quite a few accounts in 2008 and 2009 with credit cards but they are long closed. I guess I'll have to visit a branch and see what I can do.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by jmw2323
did you recv'e the packet before, after, or with the ATM card? I recv'd the ATM card and so far no packet
Packet came 2 days after the debit card. Confused me too.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:36 am

checks and sig. card arrived today. Still no mention of promo
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:27 pm

Just rc'ed the promo today with my Citi AA bill, same details as the OP.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh
I received this offer and responses like yours (and plenty other similar posts scattered among multiple threads) discourage me from even trying it. Seems like it's too much of a hassle and even after meeting all the conditions, the miles may never end up posting.
The temptation for miles was too strong...I went to my local branch and just opened the account. I didn't know about the $6000 minimum balance to avoid the fees, but even with the monthly fee it is still worth it. ^
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ejh25
Pardon my ignorance....I'm not going to get a hard inquiry when I apply for this right?
I asked this question to my friendly banker at the branch, and she confirmed that it is not a hard inquiry since it's not an application for credit.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:23 pm

Hi, anyone knows if you need to sign up with Citi's AA checking debit card to get the miles? Or you can use their ThankYouPoints reward program and still receive AA miles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.