Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:37 pm

My experience over the years is that every Citibank promo requires considerable follow up to get the promised reward. Citicard promos have posted like clockwork.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
I guess the main factor in deciding to go for the extra 20k miles would be how the $25k deposit requirement could be met. Has there been any similar promotions with Citi in the past where one was able to move money around to have qualify for deposits that totaled $25k?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:00 am

Targeted

Originally Posted by MattinAustin
Has anyone had luck with this offer that hasn't been target?

Thanks-
I gave them a call to ask if it was targeted, they told me that I could do it. I am getting things ready and will apply next week. I'll report on my findings.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by eloraculo
I gave them a call to ask if it was targeted, they told me that I could do it. I am getting things ready and will apply next week. I'll report on my findings.
I called and the rep told me the same thing... already applied online and linked my credit cards with >$6k in balances... have done similar promotions in the past, usually for TYP or cash... setup DD as well... PDF'ed the account terms and will patiently wait for miles these 20k will go nicely with the 75k from the Citi AA card!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by vacaloca
I called and the rep told me the same thing... already applied online and linked my credit cards with >$6k in balances... have done similar promotions in the past, usually for TYP or cash... setup DD as well... PDF'ed the account terms and will patiently wait for miles these 20k will go nicely with the 75k from the Citi AA card!
Did you already have a Citi checking, or just savings?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Thanks for reporting this. No sense in waiting for my statement to close then. I'll be giving them a call too.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'd also be very interested to hear of anyone with a pre-existing checking account (joint or individual) with Citi was able to get this deal.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
to get the additional 20,000 miles from the savings account, do you just open one after u completed the checking account with the promo offer?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
neither at the moment. closed the last citi checking account earlier this year
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:02 am

neither at the moment. closed the last citi checking account earlier this year
OK - I might just need to close my stuff . . .
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:03 am

Are the account and promotion terms online anywhere? Or was that from an email?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: A few
The terms and conditions can be found by going to offer.citibank.com, entering the code C22D, and then click on "Promotion Disclosures" on left hand side

Now interestingly enough I literally just last week opened up an account under the 20k promo. However it looks like I can still use this promo to add another 20k:

"2. You can also qualify for an additional AAdvantage bonus miles by making a deposit of $25,000 or more of new to Citibank money into a new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account linked to your regular checking account by 10/31/10. You must also complete at least 1 direct deposit to, or at least 2 electronic bill payments from or 5 or more debit card purchases from, the linked checking account for an additional (third) month. "

So if I stick 25k in by 10/31 and keep making the payments I should be good. Nothing in the T&Cs saying I have to keep 25k in there so quick transfer in from BankDirect account, then transfer out maybe a week or so later.

The big question I am pondering is whether to just close the old account and start fresh with this one given it does not have the time requirement. I may just call into Citi and see if they will switch the promo for me, and if not just ask them then to close this account and I will re-open
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: nwa united delta
Is this targeted or not?

I thought I would share my story on a similar, but non-Citi offer, perhaps there is something to learn?

Amtrak has an 18,000 miles Master card offer link you can get from the forums; I did not receive any email from them, but applied anyway using that link. Chase transferred 9K and 9K miles to Amtrak, in 2 different instalments, for a total of 18K. The first credit appeared in my Amtrak a/c as 6K, and the second appeared in full, for a total of 15K. When I asked Amtrak about the missing 3K I was told, "your a/c was only targeted for a 6K offer" - no idea how they figured this, may be I had an email from them for 6K or whatever, but I don't read their email!

I argued with them saying it is a web link etc, sent them a copy of the original application that shows the 18K offer and Chase bill showing the transfer.. they don't buy it and told me: "unless I can produce a targeted email from them to me for 18K no additional miles will post, and that I am lucky to even get 15K instead of just 6K." I escalated to the supervisor and she said the same. So much for Amtrak...

I just wonder if Citi would ask for the info the OP received with his Citi statement or whatever?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
The question really we all ponder is how long 25000 must be in there
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Vacation time
The question really we all ponder is how long 25000 must be in there
Until you get the points. Based on my experience with Citi on the older promotion, it may take months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.